IL - Krystal Tobias, 9, & Laura Hobbs, 8, found dead in Zion park, 8 May 2005 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lady-eowyn

Reaction score
ZION, Ill. Two young girls have been found dead in a park in the far northern Illinois community of Zion.

Deputy Police Chief Clyde Watkins says a person walking through a heavily wooded area in Beulah (BYOO'-lah) Park found the bodies this morning.

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3318790

News reports say that two 8 yr olds had been reported missing....I hadn't heard anything about them. :(

How sad......You know, I look in the missing forum everyday just to leave feeling helpless and sad.

I saw a DR. on the news this morning talking about how kids are really being affected by not being outside in nature enough. He talked about some of the disorders (ADHD, etc.) that can be alleviated simply by getting outside on a daily basis. Anyway, the reporter asked about the stranger danger scare, and this DR. had the nerve to say that stranger danger and child abductions were OVERRATED. I wanted to point him in the direction of just to this forum alone. I hardly think he'd have that same view after seeing what some of these offenders do with little children.

lady-eowyn said:
ZION, Ill. Two young girls have been found dead in a park in the far northern Illinois community of Zion.

Deputy Police Chief Clyde Watkins says a person walking through a heavily wooded area in Beulah (BYOO'-lah) Park found the bodies this morning.

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3318790

News reports say that two 8 yr olds had been reported missing....I hadn't heard anything about them. :(

I know the area well. North of Chicago ..
Not alot of people go there.
So sad......:angel:

Pharlap, what do you mean not a lot of people go there? is it a bad area? or a remote area?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050509zion,1,4949577.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

Children’s bodies found in suburban park

Tribune staff reports
Published May 9, 2005, 12:33 PM CDT

The bodies of two young girls were found this morning in a nature area in north suburban Zion, authorities said.

The Lake County coroner identified the two victims as friends who had been reported missing about 8:45 p.m. Sunday, Watkins said. He declined to identify the two but said their families had been notified.

Autopsies were scheduled for Monday afternoon, Watkins said. He declined to give any details on the slayings.

Carol Whiteside, a secretary at nearby Beulah Park Elementary School, said the missing children were second-graders at the school.

"We're trying to stay calm. The crisis team is set up," Whiteside said.

Casshew said:
Pharlap, what do you mean not a lot of people go there? is it a bad area? or a remote area?
it's a remote area, I've never seen alot of police around. People do fishing off the shore there...

Looks like they are the missing girl's bodies...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050509zion,1,4949577.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

The bodies of two young girls were found this morning in a nature area in north suburban Zion, authorities said.

The girls, both believed to be eight years old, were discovered by a resident walking through the wooded area near Beulah Park, Deputy Chief Clyde Watkins said.

The Lake County coroner identified the two victims as friends who had been reported missing about 8:45 p.m. Sunday, Watkins said. He declined to identify the two but said their families had been notified.

Autopsies were scheduled for Monday afternoon, Watkins said. He declined to give any details on the slayings.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/050905_ns_zion.html

Investigators have set up a tent over the crime scene. Paul LaPointe, a freelance photographer on the scene, said that officials used all-terrain vehicles to get to the area. The Lake County Crime Task Force has been called in to help in the investigation. "They have also brought in a helicopter to help survey the area and make sure there may be evidence from the air that they may be missing from the ground," said LaPointe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yesterday I was at work and my wife saw them playing. They were drawing on my garage door and went home. About 10 a.m. (they) went riding the bikes. About 8:30 last night, someone came by the house looking for them," said Jim Goetz, whose daughter is friends with them missing girls.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

...if LE had to use ATV's to get to the area, it couldn't have been too accessible for whoever left the bodies there...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/050905_ns_zion.html

Police have not identified the bodies, but neighbors fear that the bodies may be that of two girls reported missing Sunday night.

"Yesterday I was at work and my wife saw them playing. They were drawing on my garage door and went home. About 10 a.m. (they) went riding the bikes. About 8:30 last night, someone came by the house looking for them," said Jim Goetz, whose daughter is friends with them missing girls.

Video available at that link.

Video has a neighbor, Jim Goetz, who says his wife saw the girls playing and "drawing" on his garage door (he was at work, he says) and they went home around 10, he says. I am assuming 10 am, because he then says they went riding on their bikes and that someone came around his home about 8:30 pm, looking for the girls. He has a 7 year old daughter, believed to be a friend of the 8 year olds found.

The girl's school is blocks away from the crime scene and is now on lock down as a precaution.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050509zion,0,7457125.story?coll=chi-news-hed

In that linked story, Goetz says he saw them around 9am...

Jim Goetz, a Zion resident who lives across the street from Beulah Park, said he last saw the two missing girls about 9 a.m. Sunday, when they rode their bicycles to his house to play with his 7-year-old daughter.

At one point, Goetz said, he scolded the children for drawing in chalk on his garage and made them clean it off. After about an hour, the two visiting girls got on their bikes and rode away, saying they were going to ride by the ravine in Beulah Park.

Video on that link has Getz (sp) on as well. Reporter says their names are Laura and Crystal.

-----------------

These could be media mistakes, ABSOLUTELY-- but I am just curious as to the discrepancies in what Getz and the reporters are saying. In a video Getz says his WIFE saw the girls while he was at work. In another video he says HE saw them and scolded them about drawing on the garage.

In one video I THINK he said someone CAME to his house looking for the girls. But a reporter in the second video says he said someon CALLED his house, looking for the girls. AGAIN -- very, very possibly media inaccuracies. Or the man just misspoke. Or I did not understand correctly what the man said. See what you hear and think.

---------------

Two 8yr old girls found dead

"Two Young Girls Found Dead Near Chicago
Monday, May 09, 2005

ZION, Ill. — Two 8-year-old girls who disappeared Sunday were found slain Monday morning in a nature area in the northern Illinois city of Zion, authorities said.

A resident walking through the wooded area near the city's Beulah Park (search) discovered the bodies around 6 a.m., Deputy Chief Clyde Watkins said. A bike path and a ravine run through the area."

Sad sad sad...what is wrong with the human race?

golfmom said:
To lose two little girls like this on mother's day ...

Ahhh I had forgotten already it was mother's day......two little girls gone. This is so sad. Two families devestated...and all their little friends that have to try to understand this.

I don't know....I couldn't even find any information on the missing children, nothing...no news stories or anything...the first I had heard of it was finding the bodies. Now granted it was only last night they were reported missing, but you would still think there would be SOME news reports to be found :confused:

It's very very sad...

golfmom said:
To lose two little girls like this on mother's day ...
Or to be the law enforcement officer delivering that news.........:(

lady-eowyn said:
I don't know....I couldn't even find any information on the missing children, nothing...no news stories or anything...the first I had heard of it was finding the bodies. Now granted it was only last night they were reported missing, but you would still think there would be SOME news reports to be found :confused:

It's very very sad...

I know! I couldn't find anything either. It is unusual that a perp will take two at a time. Wonder what is up here? I would have thought there would be more in the news....some outrage or something...but it seems to be rather a quiet side story!!!

I've done numerous searches and it's all the same...of course maybe since they were found so quickly after going missing there was no need to publish info about them being missing. IMO this is what needs to get out there ASAP though, the sooner the better.

I can't think of another case of multiple children being found dead together since the West Memphis case.... :(

That park is very near the girls' homes and school, and has a paved bike trail as well as a play ground area--and the girls were on their bikes when they went missing. Did searchers not look there until this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth