NY NY - Ivan Giovanettina, 41, Brooklyn, 10 Jan 2013

BluesyTune

Reaction score
Hi Websleuths,

A friend and former colleague of mine was shot and killed near his home in Brooklyn around this time last year. Police have still not found the suspects and are now offering a 10K reward in this case.

After discovering Websleuths, I really feel like this community can help to spread the word and find the cowards who shot my friend and left him to die. If you knew Ivan, you knew his sense of humor and kind heart. It is my hope that these men will be found and justice served, for the sake of Ivan and his family and friends.

You can read about the case and see the video of suspects here:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYPD-Reward-Killing-TV-Show-Worker-Ivan-Giovanettina-Brooklyn-Bed-Stuy-239495151.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Please, if you recognize these suspects or have information that could help this case, I urge you to come forward. I'm praying that justice will be served for the sake of Ivan and his family, friends and anyone else who has lost a loved one in such a horrific way.

This is the first time I've started a thread, so Mods, please let me know if I've made any mistakes in this post- still learning the ropes here. And if anyone has other ideas for ways to help find these killers, and solve this case, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Brooklyn man gunned down by two assailants in dark clothing only a few blocks from his home

Ivan Giovanettina, who works as a crew member on ABC's cooking show 'The Chew' was shot dead on Bedford-Stuyvesant street.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...t-blocks-home-article-1.1238676#ixzz2snVuBcNQ

The article says "Ivan Giovanettina, 41, was seen by a witness running down a Bedford-Stuyvesant street after two men clad in dark clothing when one of them turned and fired, striking him in the stomach, a police source said."

It does sound like a robbery situation though it's not clear what might have been stolen since his wallet was in his apartment and his phone was found on his person. This article makes it sound a little less certain, to me, that the men in the video were the assailants:

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/12/abc_talk_show_staffer_killed_in_bed.php

I'm sorry for your loss, BluesyTune, do you know if any of his friends or family are staying in contact with LE? One of the articles mentioned he was from Switzerland so perhaps there is nobody local to apply pressure to get this solved.

Hi Websleuths,

A friend and former colleague of mine was shot and killed near his home in Brooklyn around this time last year. Police have still not found the suspects and are now offering a 10K reward in this case.

After discovering Websleuths, I really feel like this community can help to spread the word and find the cowards who shot my friend and left him to die. If you knew Ivan, you knew his sense of humor and kind heart. It is my hope that these men will be found and justice served, for the sake of Ivan and his family and friends.

You can read about the case and see the video of suspects here:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYPD-Reward-Killing-TV-Show-Worker-Ivan-Giovanettina-Brooklyn-Bed-Stuy-239495151.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Please, if you recognize these suspects or have information that could help this case, I urge you to come forward. I'm praying that justice will be served for the sake of Ivan and his family, friends and anyone else who has lost a loved one in such a horrific way.

This is the first time I've started a thread, so Mods, please let me know if I've made any mistakes in this post- still learning the ropes here. And if anyone has other ideas for ways to help find these killers, and solve this case, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Hi BluesyTune! I'm so very sorry for your loss. A lot of the members here have been in your shoes, myself included. This is a wonderful community , and the work the members do here is actually amazing. They stood by my side and virtually held my hand through my ordeal. I hope we can be able to help solve your friends murder. I'm off to read up on it now. God bless you in your quest for justice.:seeya:

Was Ivan a US citizen?
ETA. I see he is.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...t-blocks-home-article-1.1238676#ixzz2snVuBcNQ

Giovanettina’s other roommate, Michael Ighodaro, 26, said the victim was a set supervisor for “The Chew” and had previously done set work for Tyra Banks and Janet Jackson. Ighodaro said the victim liked to cook and play piano, and had helped him and Wilson transition to life in New York after they moved from Nigeria six months ago.
This place is not like that,” he added. “We left Africa because we were afraid of what might happen to us.”

How horrible. :(

The article says "Ivan Giovanettina, 41, was seen by a witness running down a Bedford-Stuyvesant street after two men clad in dark clothing when one of them turned and fired, striking him in the stomach, a police source said."

It does sound like a robbery situation though it's not clear what might have been stolen since his wallet was in his apartment and his phone was found on his person. This article makes it sound a little less certain, to me, that the men in the video were the assailants:

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/12/abc_talk_show_staffer_killed_in_bed.php

I'm sorry for your loss, BluesyTune, do you know if any of his friends or family are staying in contact with LE? One of the articles mentioned he was from Switzerland so perhaps there is nobody local to apply pressure to get this solved.

Thank you radiator, appreciate that. I'm not certain if anyone has kept in touch with LE, but I would think those closest to him have. His parents are in Switzerland and I have had the same thought-with his family being in another country does that make the case less of a priority? But he had been here several years. I don't know how these things work.

Doesn't really make sense, like you said, he still had his phone and was carrying no wallet.

Hi BluesyTune! I'm so very sorry for your loss. A lot of the members here have been in your shoes, myself included. This is a wonderful community , and the work the members do here is actually amazing. They stood by my side and virtually held my hand through my ordeal. I hope we can be able to help solve your friends murder. I'm off to read up on it now. God bless you in your quest for justice.:seeya:

Thank you for the kind words!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...t-blocks-home-article-1.1238676#ixzz2snVuBcNQ

Giovanettina’s other roommate, Michael Ighodaro, 26, said the victim was a set supervisor for “The Chew” and had previously done set work for Tyra Banks and Janet Jackson. Ighodaro said the victim liked to cook and play piano, and had helped him and Wilson transition to life in New York after they moved from Nigeria six months ago.
This place is not like that,” he added. “We left Africa because we were afraid of what might happen to us.”

How horrible. :(

Ivan was very kind and generous. It's no surprise he took it upon himself to help these men get on their feet. He was a talented, hard worker. Had a great sense of humor, sharp wit. The whole thing is incredibly tragic.

Bluesday-have you established a relationship with the detectives- you could call the Homicide people in Bed-Stuy local precinct and find out the latest. Since you are in the U.S. and his family is across the sea, you could be a great help. It must be very expensive to call internationally.
Do you ever talk to his family to find out anything they have heard from LE?

Bluesday - any updates? I also knew Ivan and his family very well and was devastated by his murder. Ivan was the oldest in a large Swiss Italian family and his loss is felt tremendously. I'm in Los Angeles, where Ivan used to live, so following the investigation is difficult, but I will do whatever it takes to keep the pressure on police to find his killer. Most of Ivan's family doesn't speak English very well (they speak Italian and Swiss-German), so it's a little hard from them to keep up the pressure on police. I was in touch with Ivan's mother shortly after his murder and she indicated that the police were still investigating and had his phone, computer and other items in their possession. Other than that, they had little information to go on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back