High school in Katy Texas evacuated

~n/t~

Reaction score
Suspicious package. Bomb squad at scene

Just in at CNN

Will post link when I find one

'Safety issue' prompts school evacuation at Seven Lakes High School in Katy
Updated at 12:26 PM today

Officials say all students are out of the school. However, parents are being told not to pick up their students at this time.

According to district officials, a suspicious-looking backpack was found on the east side of the school that was enough of a concern to bring to the attention of administrators.
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9391233

KATY, Texas (AP) - A bomb squad has been dispatched to a Houston-area high school where officials say a "potential explosive device" has been identified in the building.

The Katy Independent School District says in a posting on its website that Seven Lakes High School was safely evacuated Monday after campus police learned of a "perceived threat." School officials did not immediately say on the website what the threat was but said the potential explosive was later identified.

http://ktar.com/23/1691613/Texas-school-evacuated-due-to-suspicious-device

I don't post often, but read daily. My son is a senior at Seven Lakes High School where the event occurred today. The students initially thought that it was a fire drill because the fire alarm was activated just before 10 a.m. Then, a secondary alarm, which turned out to be an "intruder or intrusion" alarm was activated. The students were safely and methodically evacuated from the building just after 10. This is a very large school with over 3,800 students enrolled and approximately 150 staff members. The students were taken to the practice football field and the baseball field, which is across a very large parking lot at the back of the school where they were held in place until 1:30 this afternoon. Normal release time is 2:35.

The district did a very good job keeping parents notified through the email system. From 10:36 a.m. until 2:13 p.m. we received 6 emails keeping us apprised of the situation.

The object found has turned out to be an improvised firearm, not an explosive device, per se. A male student is in custody and is being questioned. Multiple personnel from several state and federal agencies are currently searching a home, presumably that of the detained student in an effort to determine where the firearm came from and looking for any other potentially problematic items.

Processing the scene should wrap up this evening allowing for the school to resume it's normal schedule tomorrow.

I don't post often, but read daily. My son is a senior at Seven Lakes High School where the event occurred today. The students initially thought that it was a fire drill because the fire alarm was activated just before 10 a.m. Then, a secondary alarm, which turned out to be an "intruder or intrusion" alarm was activated. The students were safely and methodically evacuated from the building just after 10. This is a very large school with over 3,800 students enrolled and approximately 150 staff members. The students were taken to the practice football field and the baseball field, which is across a very large parking lot at the back of the school where they were held in place until 1:30 this afternoon. Normal release time is 2:35.

The district did a very good job keeping parents notified through the email system. From 10:36 a.m. until 2:13 p.m. we received 6 emails keeping us apprised of the situation.

The object found has turned out to be an improvised firearm, not an explosive device, per se. A male student is in custody and is being questioned. Multiple personnel from several state and federal agencies are currently searching a home, presumably that of the detained student in an effort to determine where the firearm came from and looking for any other potentially problematic items.

Processing the scene should wrap up this evening allowing for the school to resume it's normal schedule tomorrow.

Thanks for your post! So glad everyone is safe. I was surprised to read the school has a campus police? Is that correct or did I misread? Wish all schools had security. I was really impressed how this incident was handled. The school did a great job.

Thanks for your post! So glad everyone is safe. I was surprised to read the school has a campus police? Is that correct or did I misread? Wish all schools had security. I was really impressed how this incident was handled. The school did a great job.

Yes, our school district has a large police department and yes, there is campus police. Not necessarily because there are problems, but simply because of the number of students at the school. People who are unfamiliar with the school, usually think it's a junior college when they drive past it. Once they read the "high school" sign, most can't believe it. Katy ISD is one of the fastest growing school districts in the nation. Academics are very good and is absolutely a huge drawing card for families considering moving into the area.

Since my first post about this a couple of hours ago, we've gotten 3 more emails and an automated phone message. The district and campus administration have done an amazing job during this stressful and disconcerting situation. Glad everyone is safe and the entire situation was handled without incident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back