1534 users online (324 members and 1210 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern US
    Posts
    1,209

    Close Call with Known Sex OFFENDER!!! FLORIDA

    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/09/Hi..._by_clos.shtml

    Family shaken by close call with sex offender



    TAMPA - Gladys Ortiz and Yimy Bernardo Sr. warned their three children about the convicted child molester living three doors away.

    They showed them a photo of Roberto Ferrer Nunez, a registered sex offender the children had seen regularly on their street.

    So when 11-year-old Jorge Santos, who was waiting in the family sport utility vehicle with his two siblings and mother, saw Nunez staring at him and walking straight toward him Saturday, he slammed the door, locked it and started to scream.

    "Mommy, Mommy! Look at him!" Jorge shouted.

    EDITED BY DP DUE TO COPYWRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. SEE LINK FOR THE REST OF THE STORY.
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 05-10-2005 at 09:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Good for those parents! I'm glad the sex offender registry is available. You know, I never thought about taking the information about offenders in the area to the school. HMMM, I think I'll alert my kids' school counselor about 2 in my area.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs4point0
    Good for those parents! I'm glad the sex offender registry is available. You know, I never thought about taking the information about offenders in the area to the school. HMMM, I think I'll alert my kids' school counselor about 2 in my area.

    According to Megan's Law you cant exactly do that *but* here is what you can do................ Go to the school.Inform them that YOU checked the state registry and saw that two offenders lived close by.Have them then check for themselves as you cannot print out the info or give them details because that could be considered "harrassment".

    Ive gone through this backwards and forwards in my campaign to ban sex offenders from residing on Military Bases(federal property).
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,751
    I saw this on the news the other night...unfortunately they cannot get him for anything more than burglary of a conveyance....I'm sure he won't serve much time

    You can see his arrest report here...what a slimey looking creep

    http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/defa...sp/bn=05029614


    ETA...he's already walking the streets again

    DOES NOT OCCUPY A CELL - RELEASED ON: 05/08/05 AT 15:20 - REL: SURETY BOND
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins



  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    According to Megan's Law you cant exactly do that *but* here is what you can do................ Go to the school.Inform them that YOU checked the state registry and saw that two offenders lived close by.Have them then check for themselves as you cannot print out the info or give them details because that could be considered "harrassment".

    Ive gone through this backwards and forwards in my campaign to ban sex offenders from residing on Military Bases(federal property).
    Thanks, messiecake.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,889
    She should have started the car and run over the SOB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    She should have started the car and run over the SOB
    LOL, I agree but then the kids would have been deprived of their mother. These kids are very lucky to have vigilant parents who had the courage to discuss their concern with their kids. The parents were able to take the info available to them, and help prevent pain for kids, and possibly save their lives. One more boost for the sex offender database. And some people say that the database wouldn't prevent sex abuse. to the people who tried to keep the database from being made public.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern US
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lady-eowyn
    I saw this on the news the other night...unfortunately they cannot get him for anything more than burglary of a conveyance....I'm sure he won't serve much time

    You can see his arrest report here...what a slimey looking creep

    http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/defa...sp/bn=05029614


    ETA...he's already walking the streets again

    DOES NOT OCCUPY A CELL - RELEASED ON: 05/08/05 AT 15:20 - REL: SURETY BOND
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!
    WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    so now this creep is free again to TRY and get them again???
    wow, I'm sure those kids feel REAL safe now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am so mad right now!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    554
    Unbelievable! I can see why the cops didn't believe the story at first, it just sounds unreal that he would go for the kid like that.

    What he did, could get him legally killed up in NH, the way our "deadly force" laws are written. Don't the new Florida laws encompass a kidnapping in progress, too?
    Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated. -Sun Tzu

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerized
    Unbelievable! I can see why the cops didn't believe the story at first, it just sounds unreal that he would go for the kid like that.

    What he did, could get him legally killed up in NH, the way our "deadly force" laws are written. Don't the new Florida laws encompass a kidnapping in progress, too?
    Yes Florida has "deadly" force (actually they aren't "deadly force" the language refers to it as meeting force with force) laws in effect...and it's been in effect for vehicles...so they could have legally used force, however I'm sure they didn't think of it at the time, many people wouldn't. The new laws make it legal to meet force with force ANYWHERE that you are legally allowed to be....but they don't go into effect until July 1 I believe...
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Whidbey Island, Washington
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs4point0
    Good for those parents! I'm glad the sex offender registry is available. You know, I never thought about taking the information about offenders in the area to the school. HMMM, I think I'll alert my kids' school counselor about 2 in my area.
    In our state, schools are notified and display the pictures in the staff room.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
  2. Mexico presidential race too close to call
    By ketel0ne in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 02:42 AM
  3. Sex offender may get life for phone call
    By mysteriew in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 03:37 PM