Find Mike

zwiebel

Reaction score
Mental health campaigner Jonny Bejamin has launched a campaign to find the man who saved his life in 2008, by persuading him not to jump off Waterloo Bridge, London, England.

Jonny had schizoaffective disorder at the time, but didn't know it. The stranger - who Jonny thinks was called Mike - talked him safely down and would not give up, seeming to know exactly what to say.

Police took Jonny away before he could get Mike's details. Now the campaign to 'Find Mike' and thank him has gone viral, and is helping to spread the message for recovery and hope too.

I just heard Jonny interviewed on the radio. Lovely guy, so happy and grateful to be alive and working so hard to help others. 'Mike' probably helped save many others when he saved Jonny. Hope he finds out how much his act of kindness meant for people affected by mental illness, one day. Lovely story.

There's a FB and twitter, but I can't find them, as usual. Not much chance of me helping finding Mike, I'm afraid.........

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/14/man-t...ing-suicide-in-finding-mike-campaign-4262459/

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/15/finding-mike-jonny-benjamin-suicide_n_4601097.html

He has found Mike!

Radio interview in a sec so I'll post again.

Read it, while I'm waiting. Mike is named Neil! But his girlfriend recognised the story straight away when she heard it on media and got in touch with Jonny straight away.

Neil is very modest and says he 'just did what anybody would do' when he stopped Jonny from committing suicide on the bridge that day. He also says he thinks Jonny is one of the nicest, kindest guys he has ever met, now they have been reunited.

I think Neil's a pretty nice guy too.

I was reading about it this morning, so cool!!

'Mike' has been found and he and Jonny have just been interviewed on BBC Radio four. I've been missing all the excitement because apparently Boy George, Kate Nash, Stephen Fry and other celebs had joined the find 'Mike' campaign. It went worldwide including Canada, South Africa and Australia. Don't know if it reached the US?

Interview. It's not exactly word for word but I got the gist.

Jonny (recap of original appeal): I went to the bridge intending to take my life, and suddenly a stranger just appeared out of nowhere and said, "Please don't do this mate."
He was very kind, very understanding and very persistant. It took some time but he managed to do it. I now want to find him and say thank you. It's down to him I made my recovery.

Jonny: Neil saw the appeal. It was a quite unbelievable response we had to the appeal; it went all over the world. Then a msg came through: "I think it's me."
It was incredible.

Neil: It was a surreal moment on the bridge. I had to act on my instincts; do what I thought was right at the time. I am glad I was able to handle it and not panic. I didnt have too much time to think and I tried to think of other the other person and not to 'overthink' the situation too much. I just asked questions and let Jonny talk.
I was really relieved when he climbed back over the bridge. It was just wonderful. I'm very thankful.

Jonny: I was in such a state of distress and was just trying to will myself to jump. My head was so cloudy and there were thoughts just rushing through. A kind, calm, gentle strange suddenly speaking to me kind of burst that bubble. I actually told him what I was going to do and saying the words out loud seemed to take away the power. I think it was just being able to talk to someone.

Neil: It was 6yrs ago and that's a long time. I do the same commute now and there were days when I walked over Waterloo Bridge and I wondered if Jonny made it. So I was shocked to see the campaign to find me on social media. It's a pretty incredible story.

Jonny: We both went back to the bridge this morning. Just to be back there at the bridge with Neil was like a dream. It puts closure on that time for me. I am so grateful to Neil and to have the chance to say thank you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25959260

Jonny is now an ambassador for the non-profit Rethink Mental Illness. They have arranged a Time to Talk day on Feb 6th. Full details here:
http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/talkday

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back