GUILTY MI - Jamel Witcher, 4, shot dead by 4yo cousin, Detroit, 16 Jan 2014

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
why do I just find myself sighing when I read stories like these? so frustrating when this happens. No much info at this point. Sounds "innocent" enough. And we can discuss until we are blue in the face about securing weapons, etc. This is just so so sad. What else can you even say?... this poor family.

Just imagine when the girl gets old enough to comprehend what she had done ...

Very sad for the families.

I hope that whoever owned the gun is held accountable for this incident in which the young children weren't properly supervised. :banghead:

I hope that whoever owned the gun is held accountable for this incident in which the young children weren't properly supervised. :banghead:

BDE, your article states the children were playing with guns (plural). Do you know if that is true or a misprint. If so, the adult should be charged for each gun the children found, lack of supervision, neglect, anything else they can think of.

BDE, your article states the children were playing with guns (plural). Do you know if that is true or a misprint. If so, the adult should be charged for each gun the children found, lack of supervision, neglect, anything else they can think of.

wow, the article was updated since it was posted. It was just the first 2 sentences originally. More info makes me more mad, not more sad.

January 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

4-year-old fatally shoots 4-year-old cousin in home, Detroit police say
George Hunter /The Detroit News

Detroit— A 4-year-old girl fatally shot her 4-year-old cousin with a long gun Thursday while the two watched television in the bedroom of a west-side home, police said.

The incident, in which the female child shot her male cousin, happened at 4:50 p.m. in a home in the 7100 block of Tuxedo Street, Detroit Police Sgt. Michael Woody said...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140116/METRO01/301160131#ixzz2qbwSlZP3

The Detroit News article that I posted above mentions only a long gun.

So the gun was just lying around, loaded, and no adult near by? Un-be-LIEV-able!!!

I believe in the right to own guns. I also believe in the responsibility not to be an irresponsible moron and EVER leave guns unsecured such that children can get to them. WTF, this makes me furious!

I feel like we have the same conversation every other week. If people are going to own guns, they HAVE to keep them locked away and UNloaded. Sadly, this happens far too often for something that is COMPLETELY avoidable.

4-year-old boy shot, killed while playing with gun at Detroit home

Police say 3 kids were playing with long gun at home on Tuxedo Street

Author: Will Jones, Local 4 Reporter, wjones@wdiv.com

Published On: Jan 16 2014 10:48:43 PM EST Updated On: Jan 16 2014 10:50:41 PM EST

DETROIT -
4yo shot by 4yo Detroit It was a heartbreaking scene for Detroit police officers Thursday night on Tuxedo Street on the city's west side.

Police say this latest shooting death could have been prevented. Three cousins, all under the age of 5, were playing alone in a back bedroom with what police describe as a long gun.

It ended with a 4-year-old boy shot in the chest by his 4-year-old girl cousin...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ome/-/1719418/23972312/-/xm50qdz/-/index.html

January 16, 2014 at 1:00 am

4-year-old fatally shoots 4-year-old cousin in home, Detroit police say

Tony Briscoe and George Hunter /The Detroit News

Detroit— An afternoon of children watching television in a west-side home turned deadly Thursday when a 4-year-old fatally shot her 4-year-old cousin, leaving a family grieving and a neighborhood stunned.

“You hear about this type of thing happening, but when it actually happens on your block, it’s like, wow,” said Dennis Queensbury, who watched police officers on the scene in the 7100 block of Tuxedo late Thursday.

Police said one of the three children, all younger than 5, watching TV together in a bedroom found the rifle and began playing with it about 4:50 p.m. The children’s grandfather was at home when the rifle discharged and killed a 4-year-old boy.

“One of the 4-year-olds found a long gun, pulled it out, and shot her cousin,” said Detroit police Sgt. Michael Woody said...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140116/METRO01/301160131#ixzz2qfUWhTAM

Detroit police: 2 arrested in connection with shooting involving 4-year-old

4-year-old girl accidentally shoots 4-year-old cousin with rifle found under bed

Author: Halston Herrera, Senior News Editor for ClickOnDetroit.com, hherrera@wdiv.com

Published On: Jan 17 2014 12:22:04 PM EST

DETROIT -
Two people have been arrested in connection with a shooting incident where a 4-year-old girl accidentally shot her 4-year-old cousin to death with a loaded rifle that she found under a bed in a Detroit home.

The two, a man and a woman who were living in the home, are being held pending charges of felon in possession of a firearm...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...old/-/1719418/23978764/-/l3f7fqz/-/index.html

January 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm

2 people connected to fatally shot Detroit boy, 4, arrested

George Hunter and Tony Briscoe

Detroit— Two people connected to the accidental shooting death of a 4-year-old boy were arrested Friday, police said.

The boy was pronounced dead at Henry Ford Hospital Thursday after being shot by his 4-year-old female cousin while they watched television in the bedroom of a west-side home on Tuxedo Street.

On Friday, police said they arrested a man and woman connected with the case but declined to identify their relationship to the children involved.

“A female has been arrested on a felony warrant unrelated to the case,” Detroit Police Sgt. Michael Woody said. “A male was arrested and charged with being a felon in possession (of a firearm).” ...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140117/METRO01/301170080#ixzz2qgIKd4AB

January 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Autopsy on 4-year-old boy complete, death ruled a homicide

Lauren Abdel-Razzaq /The Detroit News

Detroit— An autopsy on a 4-year-old Detroit boy who police say was accidentally shot by his cousin determined he died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

The autopsy on Jamel Witcher was completed Saturday before noon, said Mary Mazur, spokeswoman for the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office. The death has been ruled a homicide...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140118/METRO01/301180039#ixzz2qmsUinMu

At first I thought this guy Woody was a moron just watching the aftermath of the incident from the sidelines -

“It’s doesn’t seem criminal, just accidental,” Woody said. “It’s real tragic.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140116/METRO01/301160131#ixzz2qnYJffAJ

Then I realized he's a Sgt. with the Detroit Police. Imo, he'll be talking about this type of incident again and again to the good citizens of Michigan and the rest of the USA, explaining that if y'all keep a loaded gun of any kind where children play, then someone will get hurt from time to time. Or day after day. No biggie though, according to Sgt Woody, just try and be more careful with those things.

There must be plenty of kids in Detroit? I didn't get that part, he kind of skipped over what he meant.

Here's another thought attributed to Sgt Woody in Canada's CBC news -

There was nothing there to suggest that the grandfather put those children in harm's way, but the investigation will continue."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/girl-4-fatally-shoots-cousin-4-in-detroit-home-1.2501957

Hopefully the deceased child was not as expendable as Sgt Woody initially led me to believe in his statements. Jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back