Website
www.facebook.com
gonzalez_gabriela.jpg
gonzalez_gabriela_ap.jpg

Missing Since: April 5, 2002 from San Diego, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: September 22, 1987
Height and Weight: 5'1, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic female. Black hair, black eyes. Gonzalez wears eyeglasses or contact lenses. She has the names "Gaby" and "Juan" tattooed on her back. Her nickname is Gaby and she may use the last name Fernandez.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Levi's jeans.

Details of Disappearance

Gonzalez was last seen when her mother dropped her off at school on April 5, 2002. She did not attend her classes that day; she had not, in fact, gone to any since two days before her disappearance. She apparently went to visit her nineteen-year-old boyfriend, Juan Jose Vera, in Chula Vista, California instead. She has never been heard from again.

Authorities initially believed Gonzalez had run away and many agencies continue to classify her as such, but now police suspect foul play may have been involved in her disappearance. In June 2005, police searched the Otay River Bottom in Palm City, California, because they thought her body might be buried there. Nothing was found, however. Vera has gang affiliations and was allegedly abusive towards Gonzalez, and he is considered a person of interest in her disappearance. He has been incarcerated on several unrelated charges since February 2003.

Gonzalez left a note behind when she disappeared which indicated she left of her own accord. She was a freshman at Montgomery High School in 2002, and was not a good student. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Chula Vista Police Department
619-691-5151
OR
San Diego County Crime Stoppers

888-580-8477

Cold case: Investigators search for teen missing since 2002

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/11/10/cold-case-investigators-search-for-teen-missing-since-2002/

Investigators are searching the Otay River Bottom Thursday for a teenager who went missing in 2002.

Investigators believe Gabriela “Gaby” Gonzalez , who was 14 years old when she disappeared, was murdered and they hope newly discovered leads will help identify her killer.

Detectives have long believed the girl’s body could be buried in the Otay River Bottom. Crews will also be clearing brush to gain access to areas that contain potential evidence.

The Chula Vista Police Department says there have been major developments in this case and when all is said and done, it could make headlines around the world.
“We believed there was evidence to be found, so we conducted an operation last week, and the operation was a success, and now we have more information to work with,” he added.

Lt. Reber won’t say exactly what they found but he believes her killer will soon be brought to justice. He says the investigation is moving forward and there have been hundreds of tips regarding Gaby’s disappearance.
The day Gaby went missing, she left a note for her mom saying she was going out with her boyfriend Juan José Vera. He was 19 at the time and now a known gang member with a criminal record.
http://www.cw6sandiego.com/exclusive-search-successful-moves-south-bay-cold-case-forward/

News about Gaby Gonzales

http://www.cw6sandiego.com/exclusive-search-successful-moves-south-bay-cold-case-forward/

EXCLUSIVE: Search successful, moves South Bay cold case forward

November 14, 2016 by Jenny Day
CHULA VISTA – New leads have been pouring into the Chula Vista Police Department since we told you last week about new elements in a missing person’s case from 2002.

Investigators now feel they’re closer than ever to solving a 14-year-old murder mystery.

The Chula Vista Police Department says there have been major developments in this case and when all is said and done, it could make headlines around the world.

Snipped

Me: I don't know where this belongs, I searched and couldn't find a thread for her. Maybe someone can do it for me. Thankful they have some leads finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jennydaytv

Chula Vista Police describe the search for physical evidence as successful.

I thought I saw an article with a more complete quote of the note Gaby left but now I can't find it. Can anyone help?

Edit 1: I found this at https://archive.is/TYa6j but still think there's a more complete quote of the note out there somewhere:

"I love you Mom! Gaby," the note said. It included the date "4/5/02," and "Juan" was written on the side of the paper.

Thanks for bringing this update over.

I only do self promotion when it's relevant to a thread (aside from my signature) but here's a link to my latest podcast episode, Gaby is the cold case in the final segment. It was cold when I started research and while it isn't so cold anymore I decided to cover it anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/truecrimereview/ep9

Gabriela Leticia Gonzalez – The Charley Project

gabriela_leticia_gonzalez_1.jpg
gabriela_leticia_gonzalez_2.jpg
gabriela_leticia_gonzalez_3.jpg

• Missing Since 04/05/2002
  • Missing From San Diego, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race Hispanic
  • Date of Birth 09/22/1987 (32)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Levi's jeans and a gold chain and bracelet.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic female. Black hair, black eyes. Gabriela wears eyeglasses or contact lenses. She has the names "Gaby" and "Juan" tattooed on her back. Her nickname is Gaby and she may use the last name Fernandez.
Details of Disappearance
Gabriela was last seen when her mother dropped her off at school on April 5, 2002. She did not attend her classes that day; she had not, in fact, gone to any since two days before her disappearance. She apparently went to visit her nineteen-year-old boyfriend, Juan Jose Vera, in Chula Vista, California instead.

That same day, Gabriela's mother went grocery shopping and when she returned, she found a note from Gabriela saying she loved her and was going out. She has never been heard from again.

Authorities initially believed Gabriela had run away and many agencies continue to classify her as such, but now police suspect foul play may have been involved in her disappearance.

In June 2005, police searched the Otay River Bottom at Otay Valley Regional Park because they thought her body might be buried there. Nothing was found, but investigators still believe her remains are in the vicinity.

Vera has gang affiliations and was allegedly abusive towards Gabriela, and he is considered a person of interest in her disappearance. He has a criminal record for, among other things, a series of bank robberies.

Gabriela was a freshman at Montgomery High School in 2002, and wasn't a good student, but she was close to her family. Her case remains unsolved.

San Diego’s Unsolved Cold Cases

Gabriela "Gaby" Gonzales vanished on April 5, 2002. Detectives believe her body may be in the Otay River Bottom in Chula Vista. On Nov. 10, 2016, the Chula Vista Police Department said detectives are reigniting their search for answers in this case, with the help of the FBI. They hope to find Gonzales' body and her killers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back