1175 users online (224 members and 951 guests)  

Websleuths News

MO - Evelyn Mace-Warbington, 20, Poplar Bluff, 1 Jan 1947

From Doe Network:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3338dfmo.html

Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington

Case Classification: Missing Person
    Missing Since: January 1, 1947
    Location Last Seen: Poplar Bluff, Butler County, Missouri
    Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
    Date of Birth: September 4, 1927
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 20
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5' 6
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 125 lbs
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
    Dentals: Unknown
    Fingerprints: Unknown
    DNA: Unknown
    Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown
    Circumstances of Disappearance

She was married in 1943 in Harviell, MO, divorced in 1947 in Poplar Bluff MO on grounds of desertion. Sent a photo to her sister (now deceased), date unknown,of the 254th Army Ground Forces band that played in Mineral Wells, TX in the late 40s with dots around the face of the gentleman that she had left Poplar Bluff Missouri with. She was never heard from again. It is unknown if there was a missing person report by her family or husband.
    Last edited by Irish_Eyes; 01-18-2014 at 08:30 PM.

At one point, the 254th Army Ground Forces band was comprised of the members of the 140th Infantry Band of Cape Girardeau and Chaffee, MO. (See link below - Google has a copy of SE Missouri newspaper from 1945 writing about the band.)

These locations were about 90 minutes from Evelyn's home base in Harviell. Meanwhile, Fort Wolters, in Mineral Wells, TX was about 9 hours away. So I'm guessing she went there to see someone she already knew from MO, and either got involved with that person, or someone she met through that person.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...3943%2C1181844

Did she run off? Did she meet with foul play? Her family has a FB page and they want to know:

https://www.facebook.com/EvelynLeonaMaceWarbington

This is the photo Evelyn sent home:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Camp Wolters was deactivated in January of 1946. So this picture had to be taken before then. I had assumed that maybe she had gone to the base, and sent the photo while she was at the base, but that doesn't seem possible. She either never went to the base, or went there before her divorce in 1947.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post

From Doe Network:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3338dfmo.html

Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington

Case Classification: Missing Person
    Missing Since: January 1, 1947
    Location Last Seen: Poplar Bluff, Butler County, Missouri
    Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
    Date of Birth: September 4, 1927
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 20
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5' 6
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 125 lbs
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
    Dentals: Unknown
    Fingerprints: Unknown
    DNA: Unknown
    Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown
    Circumstances of Disappearance

She was married in 1943 in Harviell, MO, divorced in 1947 in Poplar Bluff MO on grounds of desertion. Sent a photo to her sister (now deceased), date unknown,of the 254th Army Ground Forces band that played in Mineral Wells, TX in the late 40s with dots around the face of the gentleman that she had left Poplar Bluff Missouri with. She was never heard from again. It is unknown if there was a missing person report by her family or husband.
    What a beautiful lady! I don't see the dots around the face. Which one is he?
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

Quote Originally Posted by Plumeria5 View Post
    What a beautiful lady! I don't see the dots around the face. Which one is he?
    If you look closely in the picture under the blue arrow there do appear to be blue dots around that guy. I think this is what she refers to.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
    If you look closely in the picture under the blue arrow there do appear to be blue dots around that guy. I think this is what she refers to.
    Ok, I see them now. The guy in the back on the right side.
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

I couldn't see the dots at first either, only the arrow.

I wonder if there are any records of the names of the men who played in this band. It would be a genealogist dream to go chasing all those men and what happened to them. Maybe one of them had a wife named Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington.

Quote Originally Posted by Marg from Oz View Post
    I couldn't see the dots at first either, only the arrow.

I wonder if there are any records of the names of the men who played in this band. It would be a genealogist dream to go chasing all those men and what happened to them. Maybe one of them had a wife named Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington.
    I am a bit of an genealogist and I have so far not been able to find any trace of Evelyn after she left.

I did find another interesting query on a genealogy site about a man who was stationed at Fort Wolters who was married in 1943 and had 2 kids before apparently disappearing in 1947 - which could fit really well with Evelyn going off with someone. So far though I haven't been able to locate him either.

I did find a record of the members of that band in 1917. I'm still trying to sort out the history of it. Originally, before WWI I think they were a national guard attachment and then were nationalized during WWI. I'm not sure what they did during most of WWII, if they were mostly at Wolters (which housed German POW's) or if they went around to other bases or overseas. Lots of unanswered questions.

Evelyn contacted her sister once to let her know about her new guy - why would she then never contact her again?

http://www.history.army.mil/html/for...band-018ar.htm

So it looks like, considering when Camp Wolters closed, it's even possible that the man she left with was no longer in the band by the time that she left with him. Also, in the photo I can't tell what instrument it is that he plays! It's frustrating not to know the date of the photo. Is it certain that the photo is even taken in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by alllads View Post

So it looks like, considering when Camp Wolters closed, it's even possible that the man she left with was no longer in the band by the time that she left with him. Also, in the photo I can't tell what instrument it is that he plays! It's frustrating not to know the date of the photo. Is it certain that the photo is even taken in Texas?
    Based on my own time in the high school band, I would guess he plays the drums. All the other band members are sitting and usually the drummers are the only ones to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by alllads View Post

Based on my own time in the high school band, I would guess he plays the drums. All the other band members are sitting and usually the drummers are the only ones to stand.