SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=985850

Police investigating disappearance of Socastee woman

Horry County police are searching for Heather Elvis, 20, of Socastee after she was reported missing Thursday night by her father, according to Lt. Robert Kegler with Horry County police.

Kegler said Elvis was last seen at her parents house on Tuesday night and the last time her cell phone pinged was Wednesday morning at 3 a.m.

If you have any information about her whereabouts you are asked to call the Horry County Police Department: (843) 915-5350.

Horry County Police Dept.

Media Thread

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8

Verified members on Heather's case
Creek-Ratz - verified insider
helpseeker - verified insider
LadyHawkke - verified insider

Find Heather Elvis Facebook

Heather Elvis Twitter

Heather Elvis Facebook

Heather Elvis Vine

Heather Elvis Picyou

Heather Elvis MySpace

Heather Elvis Pinterest

Heather Elvis Google+

Twicsy

Etsy

Heather's Tumblr

Police Report

1507162_235153466657383_988633367_n.jpg

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24498378/reward-in-heather-elvis-case-increases-to-30000

The FindHeatherElvis Facebook is NOT allowed at this time. This is a deviation from our standard rules, but is necessary in this particular case.
If you have questions, pm a Mod.

We do not have a person of interest or suspect named in this case by law enforcement. Sleuthing anyone and posting on Websleuths is not allowed unless or until someone is named by law enforcement, this includes public sites showing addresses etc. This also includes family.

We are a victim friendly site and this includes family and friends. No bashing of anyone. No sleuthing or discussing anyone in a suspect manner unless we have a suspect named.

Rumor is not allowed, you can discuss and speculate about anything we already know thru law enforcement and main stream media.

Rules Etiquette & Information

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Sex Offenders

It is illegal to use the sex offender registry information to harass anyone. We would never condone that at Websleuths. However, it is okay if, when a child goes missing or is harmed, we look at the sex offenders in the area and post their information, along with maps to show how close they live to the victim. Never even hint at harassing anyone on the sex offenders list. Any posting here about a sex offender should always be within the law.

Attention: the police report can be discussed but that does not include sleuthing any of the names on that document or taking the conversation further than the basics (no identifying information!) in that report. Furthermore any inkling of discussion about redacted information or sleuthing persons that have not been named a suspect or person of interest in this case will result in an immediate time out.

Police Report

Thanks.

The police report can be discussed, but NO NAMES, NO REDACTED INFORMATION, NO PERSONAL INFORMATION.

No talking about wives, ex's, employment, etc. unless you have a link that is NOT RELATED to the police report.

This is going to require restraint and cooperation on everyone's part. It if becomes too difficult, we will close the discussion.

MSM released the report and they can't take it back now. But that doesn't mean this is a free for all. We need to be respectful of LE's investigation and unnamed POIs/suspect. Given that LE has NOT named ANY POI/Suspect - you may NOT consider anyone mentioned as such.

If you have questions or concerns, pm me or Imamaze or any mod. Don't post it in the threads. And don't post anything you are unsure about. Use restraint and common sense, okay?

Salem

TOs are being issued. Zero tolerance. Mind the rules, everybody.

I feel we are all half holding our breath...

Like we all feel something is going to break... And it is going to break... Soon...

:please:

omg I am on the last thread catching up and wanted to respond to something but there was no quotes so I think to myself "oh no I'm in time out! what'd I doooo?" then I realized the thread was closed. MAJOR duh moment right there.

I found this interesting... HE made a post on her twitter account "like mother like daughter...literally" https://twitter.com/HeatherElvis

TE's article on XOJane included photos...one of them immediately made me think of HE's twitter post. http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/heather-elvis-disappearance-terry-elvis
It seems as if that picture had been chosen on purpose.

Upon deeper reflection, ShareTheLight's point about the picture of HE learning to drive a stick shift, is a very important point.

The picture data would have to be analyzed to verify when it was taken and by whom. Anyone of us could select a picture from our album that was taken two Christmases ago and send it to someone adding a caption, "Me on Christmas!".

I'm sure LE has asked the date all relevant questions about the driving lesson and who took the picture including the method it arrived on TE's phone. At least I hope that they have.
The EXIF information is there if it was a picture taken on a phone and sent to another phone. The picture can also be downloaded to a computer and you will still see time, date taken, probably GPS coordinates, type of camera, flash or not, etc. As others have said, there are plenty of apps out there that will tell you all that information. Once you modify something in Photoshop, that information changes and it absolutely tells you it was modified in Photoshop. Could you take a picture of a printout? Yes, but it looks like a picture of a picture. (it's hard to explain unless you know what you are looking for). Could you take a picture of a picture open on a computer? Yes, and that actually works better if you have a good camera and know how to do it. But it will have the EXIF data for the camera that takes THAT picture, and quite often the GPS location.

Can you fudge some of this information when taking a picture on a phone? Yep, but you have to know how to do so, and most people don't.

But if the picture has all it's EXIF data, and it confirms what HE's date said, taken perhaps by his camera with that information, with a location that was at the mall, done and done.

Yes, here it is in here.............

Posted: Dec 20, 2013 5:41 PM GST
Updated: Jan 09, 2014 2:36 PM GST
According to Lt. Kegler, her cell phone hasn't been recovered. "I can't get into the location on where it gave anyone signal or anything like that. That information wasn't something we have established it was something provided to us," he said.

Her mother said her date dropped her off at her house. Heather called her roommate to tell her how she had a great time. That is the last time anyone will admit to talking to her.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24273295/horry-county-police-investigating-missing-woman
--------------
Bingo. Once again, it's the wording. The 3-3:41 time is the last time anyone was KNOWN to to be talking to her. That doesn't mean there isn't someone SUSPECTED of talking to her, just that that the roommate was the last person to be confirmed.

Really, anything that could be an alibi. Hmm. if I took a picture now, right now, and then edited in a diff background I wonder what the stats of the pic would tell. Would it only show the date and time, or would it also show it'd been edited. Of course it could have just been cropped... very confusing.
It would show it had been edited. Even if you just open it, don't change anything and click save, it will show you have edited it.

.......goes back to humming "It's a Small World Afterall"......:blushing:
ARRRGGGHHHHH:scared:

It seems as if that picture had been chosen on purpose.

<snipped for length>

It would show it had been edited. Even if you just open it, don't change anything and click save, it will show you have edited it.

<snipped again>

I took out just these two bits to respond to but first, you are more patient than I to type that up lol.

1) I agree

and 2) Yes, but the person could say "I just cropped it" or "I just adjusted color."

We have seen media pick up on the SM aspect of lots of cases...why not this one? What are they all afraid of? Wish some non-local media would file a report about the police report coming out and the subsequent SM as a result. Too afraid of libel charges? Probably answered my own question...but I still think LE is making a hash of it, by acting like none of this is happening.

I know we can't discuss what was removed and I won't. For the purpose of my questions, details are VERY irrelevant. I wasn't around when that happen and am slowly piecing that together and have never seen that occur. Can someone tell me, why information like that was or would be released and then pulled? If they are facts of the case then they would help solve her case. Is this common in cases to not release the true details, but rather the "scripted" version? I have personally and professionally dealt with cases and never seen this happen. I am not following how this helps find HE.

I took out just these two bits to respond to but first, you are more patient than I to type that up lol.

1) I agree

and 2) Yes, but the person could say "I just cropped it" or "I just adjusted color."
BBM: Changed is changed. Then you have to explain why it isn't the original and it no longer has the same validation as the original picture. JMO, but I would never consider a picture without it's EXIF data as an original.

We have seen media pick up on the SM aspect of lots of cases...why not this one? What are they all afraid of? Wish some non-local media would file a report about the police report coming out and the subsequent SM as a result. Too afraid of libel charges? Probably answered my own question...but I still think LE is making a hash of it, by acting like none of this is happening.

The local media doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. I can excuse ignoring what happened on social media, because I feel like having a story about how so-and-so wrote this on FB, and then another person shared it with everyone on the FB page could be crossing some sort of line. But there's nothing about the police report, nothing about the attempt to ask the governor for help until after the event, etc. LE not holding a press conference or sending out a news release tells me they aren't being pressured (enough) by the media.

Not to dig into anything too unsubstantiated here, but I joined during Jessica Ridgeway's case and I (as well as several other members via PM) felt that the perp was not only reading but posting on here. If anyone connected with Heather's disappearance is lurking here, I would like you to know that you will not get away with it. Of course this is all just IMO and MOO!!

At the risk of causing confusion - am keeping a timeline of activity - however I have not kept a link, so take with a grain of salt.

Last voice-call with flatmate was initiated at 01:44am 18th Dec (this conversation may have continued until 2:09am, I'm not sure)
Last activity on social media 3:41am 18th Dec

The local media doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. I can excuse ignoring what happened on social media, because I feel like having a story about how so-and-so wrote this on FB, and then another person shared it with everyone on the FB page could be crossing some sort of line. But there's nothing about the police report, nothing about the attempt to ask the governor for help until after the event, etc. LE not holding a press conference or sending out a news release tells me they aren't being pressured (enough) by the media.

The fact that the police report came out, un-redacted, and then it is never mentioned is very odd. Like trying to put the cat back into the box, or whatever, as though it never happened? And yet it set off the SM sh** storm.

I know we can't discuss what was removed and I won't. For the purpose of my questions, details are VERY irrelevant. I wasn't around when that happen and am slowly piecing that together and have never seen that occur. Can someone tell me, why information like that was or would be released and then pulled? If they are facts of the case then they would help solve her case. Is this common in cases to not release the true details, but rather the "scripted" version? I have personally and professionally dealt with cases and never seen this happen. I am not following how this helps find HE.
People associated with a case might "accidentally" release information trying to rattle someone they suspect. (as in "Look, we have this information, you aren't fooling anyone with your lies") It can cause a real perp to make mistakes and possibly incriminate themselves. It can also make other people say "Hey, I saw X person in Y location. That might be important." If they didn't know X person was a person that had ever anything to do with a missing person, they might never have thought to call in a tip.

And releasing information, then pulling it might be "scripted" but that doesn't mean the information released is scripted. The details can be true as they are known at the time.

In the Jessica Ridgeway case, LE had the wooden cross from the first time they searched where her body was found. It was distinctive to the person who committed the crime, yet they held back from showing that to the public. JMO, but I think that releasing that contributed to the confession because the perp knew that item belonged to him. In the HE case, I think someone is trying to push the same thing: "We know more than anyone is saying. You won't get away with this. See?"

Adding a bit about the Skylar Neese case, where SM appeared to be a factor in getting one of the perps to confess. People had suspicions, and kept posting how the perps would not get away with it. MO, that contributed to the nervous breakdown of one of the perps and her confession. (I don't necessarily condone this, just making observations)

All JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members