Thread: GA - Arletha Bennett, 77, Waynesboro, 16 Jan 2014

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

GA - Arletha Bennett, 77, Waynesboro, 16 Jan 2014

This is my hometown, and many of my friends are concerned. There is a rumor of possible foul play, but most of it (as far as I know) stems from the fact that she had on a medical boot - so, how far could she have actually wandered?

Family and Friends Plea for Help to Find Missing Waynesboro Woman

Waynesboro, GA - Waynesboro police are still searching for a missing woman with Alzheimer’s who disappeared late Thursday night. Police said 77-year old Arletha Bennett was last seen at her home near Herman Lodge Blvd.

More at http://www.wjbf.com/story/24494292/f...ynesboro-woman

http://wjbf.images.worldnow.com/images/3189058_G.jpg
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 02-16-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    The local newspaper (according to the local paper's FB page, they are having a 5-mile radius search for her again today):

MISSING PERSON

Waynesboro police issued a Mattie’s Call early morning (Friday) after a retired teacher wandered away from her home on Herman Lodge Boulevard…

......“They found nothing,” the chief said, noting the sheriff’s office and other agencies have joined in the manhunt. He is now trying to secure horseback riders to scour the neighborhood and nearby woods.

More at http://www.thetruecitizen.com/news/2...NG_PERSON.html
    Last edited by belimom; 01-20-2014 at 03:53 PM.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Another article from nearby Augusta:

Waynesboro family asking for public's help finding their sister

Jackson is asking for the community to get involved. At the press conference Sunday, he said, “I am begging the community to help. If you have not checked abandon cars or out buildings where she might be hiding, we are asking the community to do so in case she is there.”

More at http://www.nbc26.tv/story/24494522/a...r-their-sister

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

(bbm)

Former students help search for missing retired teacher

Hundreds have been helping with the search efforts, but still, no sign of the former teacher. She taught 5th grade in the Burke County school system for 35 years. Many volunteers in the search party, like Missy Kelly, are former students.

"I think she was a great role model to all of us. I own a day care center now and the impact from her and some of the other teachers had a lot to do with that," Kelly said.

After 35 years of helping local students succeed, it's now the students who are gathering to help Miss Bennett….
    "The citizens have been tremendous in their outpouring of support for Ms. Bennett. A lot of them were taught by her," Chief Palmer said.

..."She gets out of breath really easily. She couldn't walk out of the bedroom to the living room without being out of breath," Bennett said.

She also had a broken foot, and should have left her home in a boot cast. Police are trying to remain optimistic and hoping someone may have seen her, and just offered her a ride.

"Based on the information we've been given, we've determined she probably could not have gone a great distance on her own power. It's a very good possibility someone did give her a ride trying to be a good Samaritan," Chief Palmer said.

More at http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/M...1.html?ref=641

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

The latest update below. I just hate the thought of this woman being out in the elements - lost and not knowing who she is, where she is.

I truly hope foul play is not involved.

Authorities still searching for missing Waynesboro woman

...Waynesboro Police Chief Augustus Palmer III said Monday that his department, along with the Burke County Sheriff’s Office and numerous volunteers, searched from sunup to sundown over the weekend without finding 77-year-old Arletha Bennett, of Waynesboro.
    “No stone left unturned is our approach,” Palmer said. “We had another search effort begin around noon today, and that’s still ongoing.”

More at http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...ynesboro-woman

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Friday, law enforcement organized a community-wide search to bring Arletha Bennett home.
    http://www.wjbf.com/story/24542442/c...ynesboro-women

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunrisenow For This Useful Post:

More information about the search:
    http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...ynesboro-woman

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunrisenow For This Useful Post:

She is still missing. Where are you, Arletha?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

It is snowing in Waynesboro tonight, with accumulation estimated to be 4" or so. This is considered a snow storm down there - and I was thinking of Arletha.

If she really is 'out there', then I don't believe she could've survived the elements this long, unfortunately.

However, I'm beginning to think something more sinister happened, such as foul play right from the beginning. Reports are that she couldn't walk from one room to the next without getting out of breath. Add in a broken foot with a medical boot. I doubt she could've made it to the end of the driveway on foot.

So worried about Arletha. People don't just 'go missing' in my little hometown.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

It is Feb 2nd now, have there been any developments on Ms. Bennett's case?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustyThoughts For This Useful Post:

The family of a missing Alzheimer's patient is now offering $10,000 for information that can help find her.
    http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/U...1.html?ref=941

I feel so sorry for her family

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunrisenow For This Useful Post:

Body of missing Waynesboro woman found in neighboring home

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...ighboring-home

By Travis Highfield and Mike Wynn
    Staff Writers
    Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014 8:00 PM
    Last updated 11:49 PM

The body of a 77-year-old Waynesboro woman who has been missing since Jan. 16 was found in the laundry room of a neighboring house Saturday, police say.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
    Rest in Peace Ms. Bennett

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

This makes no sense.

- There's no way she made it that far, when she could hardly walk from room to room.
    - That road gets quite a bit of traffic, so someone would've noticed her hobbling down the road. Even if she did make it outside, it would've taken her quite some - she wasn't able to move fast.
    - How did she go undetected that long in a laundry room? That is not a particularly nice part of town - those aren't folks who take their clothes elsewhere to wash.

I really wish their had been an autopsy.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

At least the local authorities are still investigating, although I don't know what they are really finding - if her cause of death has already been determined to be senility.

I just don't buy it.

Waynesboro chief: Woman's death still under investigation

The Waynesboro, Ga., Police Department is continuing its investigation into the circumstances surrounding the discovery of a 77-year-old woman who was found dead almost a month after she was reported missing, Chief Augustus Palmer III said Wednesday.

Palmer said the department will continue to work through the information it has gathered through interviews, and will brief the family and the public of its findings at the conclusion of the investigation.

More at http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...n?v=1392856776

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Basically the same headline, three months later:

Death of Waynesboro woman still under investigation

An investigation into the death of a 77-year-old woman found almost a month after she went missing remains open, Waynesboro Po*lice Chief Augustus Palmer III said.

On Friday, the Waynesboro Police Department denied an open records request from The Augusta Chronicle to access case files of the investigation into the death of Arletha Diane Bennett, a retired school teacher who went missing Jan. 16 and was found in the laundry room of a home on Herman Lodge Boulevard about a month later.

Responding via e-mail, Palmer said the investigation “isn’t officially closed.” He did not immediately return a call or e-mail seeking further comment Friday.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieGranny For This Useful Post:

No arrests have been made, Palmer said, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been called in to assist the Waynesboro Police Department in the investigation. However, a man who lived at the house where Bennett’s body was found was taken into custody by authorities, according to a next door neighbor.
    The body was removed by authorities around 7 p.m., according to the neighbor, who didn’t want to be named. The neighbor said Bennett lived eight houses down from the Herman Lodge Boulevard house her body was found in Saturday afternoon.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...ighboring-home
    Fibromyalgia Fog at it's finest! Temporary loss of vocabulary may occur at any time.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Hope4 For This Useful Post:

Sooo a man is living in the house, where the body is found, in the laundry room, and neither smelled anything, or saw anything?? At some point didn't he have to wash some clothes?? And no neighbors smelled anything?? How close are these houses??

Hmmmm.....
    Fibromyalgia Fog at it's finest! Temporary loss of vocabulary may occur at any time.

Authorities received a call Feb. 15 after Bennett was found by Wayne Jenkins and James Sal*is**bury, who lives at the home. Ben*nett
    lived several houses down from where she was discovered.
    Two days later, Burke Coun*ty Cor*oner Susan Sale*mi said Ben*nett died of natural causes. The cause of death was listed as senility with Alzheimer’s and probable hypothermia, and Ben*nett might have died not long after she went missing, Salemi said.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...n?v=1401588372