Sochi Winter Olympics: Video threat emerges amid security concerns

Urgent Search in Sochi for Possible Olympic Suicide Bomber

Police in Sochi have launched an urgent search for a possible female suicide bomber who may have already made it past the ring of security set up for the Olympic Games.

Hotel employees in Sochi told ABC News that posters with pictures and descriptions of a 22-year-old woman from nearby Dagestan were distributed over the weekend by authorities and a similar flyer was also seen posted at Sochi's airport.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/sochi.../story?id=21597931&ref=https://www.google.ca/

That's more than a little frightening imo.

I am so concerned for the athletes and attendees. Sorry. I don't trust Russia has all the necessary precautionary measures in place. Only 2 weeks to go. :please:

Very scary stuff. I'm worried for the athletes and all of those who travel to watch.

I am very worried for all the people who are traveling for the Olympics. I don't like that Russia is only allowing 40 Fbi agents. Something is off.

I would say call if off. Then that is giving the terrorists the satisfaction. But then it is the safety of all the athletes. I don't think the can cancel the Olympics anyway. Scary situation for everyone.

Seriously love the winter Olympics( I'm Canadian!),sure hope everything goes well,and everyone is safe!

I can't believe that they're saying now that possibly up to four of these black widows may have slipped thru Olympic security already....this really is incredible! I would be terrified if I was planning on attending.....not to mention all the athletes. But Putin says he will do whatever it takes to keep the games secure. Oh Okay....I feel better now.....not.

The choices seem limited.

If the Olympics were cancelled or the US withdrew due to terrorism threats, Putin would be irate, damaging US-Russia relations. (As an aside, Putin is now considered by Forbes Mag to be the most powerful man in the world.) Then, too, consider the athletes and the time they have spent training. They would totally be angry. It's a Catch 22, caught between a rock and a hard place. We (and other countries) seem to be left with "just trust us."

The latest threat seems to be against the Olympic torch as it passes through certain anti-Russian government areas. (No idea why it's going there anyway.) Guess we could "take" damage to a torch rather than to athletes and tourists.

The US State Dept has just issued a travel warning for the Olympics. (Never in my lifetime would I have anticipated this.) What would you do if you already had event tickets, plane tickets, and a hotel, as many families of athletes do? I think athletes will be protected, but will tourists?

I enjoy the winter Olympics much more than the summer games. I'm concerned for the safety of the athletes and guests. I hope and pray that they will be safe. :please:

US readies to Rescue Americans in Case of Sochi Attack

http://nypost.com/2014/01/21/us-readies-to-rescue-americans-in-case-of-sochi-attack/

"The US military is positioning warships and aircraft to evacuate American officials and athletes in case terrorists strike the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia."

"The plan calls for warships with helicopters to sail to the Black Sea this week and for C-17 transport planes to be placed on standby in Germany, an American official told CNN Monday."

I think the fact that we're positioning our Navy warships shows the seriousness of the situation. I'm not always right but I just get a really bad feeling about the safety of the athletes, guests, etc. I hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking this morning, if you're the parent of an Olympian (under 18), do you not allow them to participate (something that they've worked years for) or do you let them go and hope and pray they're safe. It would be a hard call for me.

^ I have a bad feeling about this too. More so than usual when they warn about terrorist threats. The games should never have been given to Russia in the first place IMO.

US readies to Rescue Americans in Case of Sochi Attack

http://nypost.com/2014/01/21/us-readies-to-rescue-americans-in-case-of-sochi-attack/

"The US military is positioning warships and aircraft to evacuate American officials and athletes in case terrorists strike the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia."

"The plan calls for warships with helicopters to sail to the Black Sea this week and for C-17 transport planes to be placed on standby in Germany, an American official told CNN Monday."

Such a sad statement for our entire world, and I'm not certain the problem rests with Russia alone. Reference 1972 when Arabs terrorists invaded the Olympic Village in Munich, killing 11 members of the Israeli Olympic team.

The Olympics are supposed to be peaceful competitions. How sad that stand-by security such as warships, waiting to evacuate athletes, needs to even be considered. What does the future hold if terrorism continues to plague the Olympics?

russiaterror.jpg

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-suicide-bombers-one-believed-to-be-in-sochi/

I think the fact that we're positioning our Navy warships shows the seriousness of the situation. I'm not always right but I just get a really bad feeling about the safety of the athletes, guests, etc. I hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking this morning, if you're the parent of an Olympian (under 18), do you not allow them to participate (something that they've worked years for) or do you let them go and hope and pray they're safe. It would be a hard call for me.

I wouldn't go and I would beg my child not to go. I would imagine the fear alone could greatly affect the performance of athletes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back