1000 users online (201 members and 799 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71
Results 1,051 to 1,063 of 1063
  1. #1051
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    I wonder why is Lumumba asking for compensation from the state. Shouldn't he be billed for all the fun and cappuccinos?
    Now my philosophy is that it's never okay to kill someone. -- Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias

  2. #1052
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,639
    I would like to someday try an authentic cappucino in Italy....though not in prison
    Now my philosophy is that it's never okay to kill someone. -- Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias

  3. #1053
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    Italian prison seemed fairly reasonable with drama performances, story writing competitions, live music performances, dance parties, lots of visitors, and kitchen facilities in the cell. It certainly sounds better than a US prison ... most likely because Italian prison is based on rehabilitation, and US prison is based on punishment.
    The US prison industry is all profit based, why would they want to rehabilitate anyone?

    I think the Italian justice system has had some odd cases and share of corruption, but so has the U.S.

    From what I've seen their system actually appears to favor defendants.

  4. #1054
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    The US prison industry is all profit based, why would they want to rehabilitate anyone?

    I think the Itality justice system has had some odd cases and share of corruption, but so has the U.S.

    From what I've seen their system actually appears to favor defendants.
    Absolutely---the US has the most Draconian, punitive system in the democratized world.

  5. #1055
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by aa9511 View Post
    Yes, Quesarita, I was also talking about the American public in general. I believe you are not even in the United States, so you would be excluded anyway and of course you are excluded since you are on Websleuths

    I have no problem with people looking at and analyzing the evidence to the extent that you have done, or even some percentage of what you have done, and then coming to a decision, whatever that decision may be.

    I am talking about the people in the United States who read the headline "Amanda Knox wrongfully imprisoned," with a picture of her, and then think what a story she must have, this pretty young woman....imagining what kind of torture and horrors she must have undergone in that prison....how can they accuse such a sweet, pretty young girl of such a horrible crime?! And then go and buy the book or books proclaiming her innocence.

    Or watch one Dateline interview with this mature and poised and pretty woman and come to the same conclusion....go and buy the book or books proclaiming her innocence.
    Ha, I'm very much American although I admit I don't follow MSM news closely. Still, I feel that most Americans I've talked to about this who do not follow this case (I don't know anyone besides myself who does actually) feel they're guilty.

    They don't know any details, just feel that suspects on trial are generally guilty, and most have no idea a third man was tried and convicted for the same crime.

  6. #1056
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,639
    Quote Originally Posted by quesarita View Post
    Ha, I'm very much American although I admit I don't follow MSM news closely. Still, I feel that most Americans I've talked to about this who do not follow this case (I don't know anyone besides myself who does actually) feel they're guilty.

    They don't know any details, just feel that suspects on trial are generally guilty, and most have no idea a third man was tried and convicted for the same crime.
    Yes, that may be. You should read the Amazon reviews of her book, though.
    Now my philosophy is that it's never okay to kill someone. -- Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias

  7. #1057
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    561
    I almost wonder if Sollecito will sell out Knox if the guilty verdict is upheld. While she is safe in the U.S. and he is stuck in prison, he's going to be very angry.

  8. #1058
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    I almost wonder if Sollecito will sell out Knox if the guilty verdict is upheld. While she is safe in the U.S. and he is stuck in prison, he's going to be very angry.
    Yes, if the guilty verdicts wind up being upheld, it would seem unfair that Sollecito would be jailed, while Knox would remain free.

  9. #1059
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9,462
    Last edited by KateB; 05-31-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  10. #1060
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9,462
    Quote Originally Posted by aa9511 View Post
    I don't believer that book would garner much interest in the United States, do you? People want to believe this girl has been wronged, this poor girl, look at her, being tortured and imprisoned and suffered who-knows-what in prison for 4 years. Now that's a story. Don't you agree?

    Let's look at the other story - this woman Amanda was involved in the killing of a beautiful young woman Meredith, in a sick, twisted way where they either assaulted her and then stabbed her and staged a burglary, or it was accidental and then they went about staging the sexual assault, the murder, and the burglary.

    Now, scenario #2 might be of interest if Amanda was an ugly, creepy-looking man or a homeless-looking overweight women with few teeth and stringy hair.....then yes, #2 would be popular and everyone would want them to "pay" for what he/she did. Go out and buy book, scenario #2.

    But we see that Amanda does not look like that. She looks like a sweet woman incapable of such horrible things. Therefore, scenario #1 is where the money is in the United States.
    Pro- guilt books written about Jodi Arias and Casey Anthony did well so I disagree.


  11. #1061
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,639

    Amanda's behavior

    @Linda - I remember one time you said that you questioned why Amanda would act, by some accounts. so carefree and unaffected after the murder, if it were an accident. In other words, her generally odd behavior surrounding the case.

    In accident scenario, I do believe her situation would have been very stressful. I do believe that some of her odd behavior was a way of coping with everything she had been through, the stress of it all. I am talking about the murder, the subsequent cover-up, all the panic and all the stress of having to deal with all of that and worry about getting caught, etc..

    I also believe that she wanted to push an "ERASE" button, and have her life go back to the way it was. I believe that her overwhelming feeling of wanting to continue her stay in Perugia, to continue her independence from her parents, to continue her relationship with Raffaele, to continue her ideallic life in Perugia - overrode her sense of sorrow and regret for Meredith. She says in her book multiple tiimes about how she was naiive about staying in Perugia, about how she so badly wanted to continue her independence and continue with everything she had worked so hard for (opportunity in Perugia).

    She says in her book that the investigators told her she couldn't go (I believee something about going to visit her Aunt Dolly for a few days? I can't remember exactly). She made it sound like the only reason she didn't go is because investigators told her she had to stay. However, I was reading in Massei report about how someone (maybe Laura?) overheard a conversation she was having with her Mom, in which she told her Mom that no, she doesn't want to go home now and everything will be fine. (I'm sorry, I can't remember the page number now, I read it in there somewhere just yesterday). And she also states in her book several times about how her family was very worried about her staying in Perugia, but she would always tell them, no, don't worry, everything will be fine. And she kind of chalked it up to, you know, just being naiive, looking at it in hindsight.

    So all of that put together, makes me think that the whole "investigators told me I couldn't leave" story is just a lie. She is spreading the blame out for her own decisions, which is a pattern of hers, IMO. Only some of the blame goes to her, and most of it is once again heaped onto the investigators. They were the ones who prevented her from going to her Aunt Dolly or going home.

    However, I know this a pattern to her. And it makes me think that the real reason she stayed is because she just wanted to, it was her own decision. And she wanted to stay because she was enjoying her time in Italy so much, and now she had this new hope with this young man Raffaele, who she was having so much fun with. And she was imagining the wonderful times she would have in Italy with him. And how great it would be - living and studying there, having an Italian boyfriend, being on her own, nobody to answer to, enjoying the town and her life. I mean, if it was me and I hadn't murdered someone, of course I would want to stay, too.

    So I feel like some of her odd behavior was due to the fact that she just wanted to "move on" with her life and put this horrible incident behind her. And she was so focused on that - continuing her stay in Perugia - that she kind of had to, in her mind, push this Meredith incident to some dusty corner of her brain for the time being - shelve it, for her own sanity. So she could get through the interrogations and the immediate aftermath, and get past this point, and get over it - to get to the other side where "everything would be okay."

    However, obviously, everything could not be okay, and there was no PAUSE and PLAY buttons she could push.

    Then came the accusations of some kind of intentional killing. Sex-game gone wrong. Seductress. She and Raffaele and Rudy stabbing Meredith for the "fun" of it and taking pleasure from it. And, taking accident scenario, I can see how she would, in her mind, start thinking of herself as a victim. Thinking, no "I am not those things." How can they say this about me? In her mind, thinking, I never meant to kill Meredith. How can they say these things about me? It was all an accident, and now look at what I have to go through - my whole life is ruined. They are always talking about Meredith, what about me?I never meant for any of this to happen. All people care about is Meredith. What about me??

    Over the 4 years in prison, this feeling would grow more and more and grow stronger and stronger - this feeling of victimization. She would feel like everyone was against her, all for nothing (in her mind). All because of an accident she never meant to happen. Look at my life - it's ruined - but nobody cares. They think I'm a murderer.

    And over time, of course she is going to start believing this more and more. That she is a victim. And this is going to overshadow anything she did to Meredith. And she starts to feel more and more of the victim of this case.

    And then she gets out, and she comes home and she immerses herself in her case - she keeps up her blog as well as 2 Facebook pages, where she surrounds herself with messages from her supporters. Supporters who further justify this feeling of victimization. See - other people feel the same way. She begins to have contact with entire groups formed just to support her. With "important" people, lawyers, judges, scientists, who believe in her and support her. She reads reviews of her book, which affirm her feelings. She reads forums supporting her innocence - further affirming her feelings. There are now multiple avenues which support and affirm her feeling of victimization, making it easier and easier to push Meredith farther into a dark and dusty corner of her brain. Look at all this people supporting me.

    And she believes more and more in her own fantasy world she has developed. Her innocent world.

    JMO.
    Now my philosophy is that it's never okay to kill someone. -- Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias

  12. #1062
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2 View Post
    Pro- guilt books written about Jodi Arias and Casey Anthony did well so I disagree.
    Yes, because everyone already disliked (to put it mildly) Jodi and Casey.

    In Casey's case, it's obvious what she did - Caylee was a little girl, last with Casey, of course the mother would know what happened to her. As well as not reporting for 30days, etc..

    In Jodi's, she confessed to the crime!

    We will have to agree to disagree on this.
    Now my philosophy is that it's never okay to kill someone. -- Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias

  13. #1063
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9,462
    Thread is closed...

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 943
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1026
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 08:07 AM
  3. Replies: 1064
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 12:29 AM
  4. Replies: 1013
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 05:30 AM
  5. Replies: 1011
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 12:34 AM

Tags for this Thread