GUILTY TX - Nathan, 35, & Krystal Maddox, 31, shot to death, Tyler County, 18 Jan 2014

NanZDrew

Reaction score
"Two Dead in Tyler County Shooting
KTRE, January 19, 2014

http://www.ktre.com/story/24493206/tyler-co-sheriff-investigating-double-homicide

TYLER COUNTY, TX (KTRE) -
The Tyler County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers are investigating a shooting that has left a man and woman dead on Saturday around 12:25 PM.

According to a press release a call came into Tyler County Sheriff's communications reporting shots fired at Mount Carmel Baptist Church on CR 3725 near RR 255 in Tyler County.

When deputies arrived on scene they found two bodies at the scene who have been identified as Nathan Bradley Maddox, 35 and his wife, Krystal Renee Maddox, 31, both of Zavalla.

The suspect(s) had fled the scene before authorities arrived.

[modsnip]

Anyone with information is urged to call the Tyler County Sheriff's Office at 409-283-8172

Krystal and Nathan Maddox

There was an up and coming child custody hearing...

"The child custody issue could have been a motivating factor in the shootings," said Phil Ryan, the chief deputy for the Tyler County Sheriff's Office.

The material grandparents had custody of Nathan's 4 yr old daughter, his ex-wife mother of the child lived with them. Both parents had checkered pasts but Nathan had changed his life and was trying to get full custody.

http://www.ktre.com/story/24508341/tyler-co-homicide-victim-had-upcoming-child-custody-hearing

sounds like it might be a custody hearing issue.

There was an up and coming child custody hearing...

"The child custody issue could have been a motivating factor in the shootings," said Phil Ryan, the chief deputy for the Tyler County Sheriff's Office.

The material grandparents had custody of Nathan's 4 yr old daughter, his ex-wife mother of the child lived with them. Both parents had checkered pasts but Nathan had changed his life and was trying to get full custody.

http://www.ktre.com/story/24508341/tyler-co-homicide-victim-had-upcoming-child-custody-hearing

Yes, the mother of Madison had custody of her, but she had been arrested for delivering meth at some point. Then she left her in the care of her parents and the child's mother was living in the same home. According to one article, in October while Nathan was visiting Madison (his daughter) in the home, the ex-father-in-law threatened to kill him and pulled a gun on him. Nathan filed for a modification in the parent-child relationship and was about to get full custody of Madison. This meeting has the last meeting before he was able to get weekend visits without others. The court appointed mediator and the ex-mother-in-law remained inside the church with the little girl while Nathan and Krystal walked outside to leave and were gunned down. Will post some more links tonight.

Yes, it's sad that it took them so long to act. I would love to see the court documents relating to this case. It is unfair that the custodial parent can award a nonparent their rights, and the other parent then has to file a lawsuit to get custody of their own child. If this had been checked out a little bit better back in October, maybe these two people would still be alive. Making one parent visit the child in the home (as appears what was happening in October) of the person that they are challenging for custody is just a recipe for a disaster. I feel sorry for Nathan and Krystal and their children not to mention this poor little Madison who has lost her father and is being removed from her home (although that is most likely for the best), but how confused and traumatized she must be by the effects of this week.

Below is the body of the article that was referenced since newspapers often eventually archive and you can't use the links later.

"LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -
According to Tyler County Chief Deputy Phil Ryan, Child Protective Services received a court ordered request Thursday evening to take custody of the 4-year-old daughter of a man slain in a Tyler County homicide.

The girl had been in the custody of her maternal grandparents. Ryan said sheriff's deputies supervised the entire meeting and CPS took the girl out of her grandparent's home for her safety.

<modsnip>

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Tyler County Sheriff's Office at (409) 281-2172."

I don't know why it still shocks me when I hear about murders surrounding possible child custody issues. :(

Perhaps because it is so senseless that a normal person wouldn't conceive of doing something like this! Ok, so it stopped the dad from getting custody, but it doesn't allow the grandparents to keep custody. It is a lose/lose and especially for this little child. Tomorrow is her 5th birthday. Can you imagine her being on the scene of this shooting last Saturday and now being removed from her home. I'm glad for her safety that she is being removed because the are the kinds of situations that make for murder/suicides, but can you imagine how terrified she must be?

I don't know why it still shocks me when I hear about murders surrounding possible child custody issues. :(

If you're like me, despite what keeps happening you still have hope that people will stop being so darn stupid. Crap like this ruins so many lives, it's completely pointless and not worth it. Dammit, can people just get their crap together instead of killing each other?!

It's so insane that this little girl can't go to the dad's family during this time. That would be a comfort to them and to her. I think that Nathan's dad is a minister. Father's and their family members get treated awfully by CPS and and the court systems.

http://www.ktre.com/story/24542757/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Custody hearing of Tyler Co. homicide's victim's daughter set for Feb. 12
Posted: Jan 24, 2014 4:18 PM CST Updated: Jan 24, 2014 4:18 PM CST

By Jeff Awtrey - email

WOODVILLE, TX (KTRE) -
A custody hearing for the four-year-old daughter of a Zavalla man killed in a double-homicide Saturday is set for Feb. 12 in the Tyler County Courthouse.

The girl had been in the custody of her maternal grandparents, but CPS took her out for her safety.

[modsnip]

Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.

This is just horrible! This happened not far away from where I live.
Along with his daughter, there are 4 other children who have had their mother taken from them.

So sad all around. I am also shocked by how many murders recently are children or adults in some sort of ongoing custody dispute. It looks like the legal and child protection systems need better screening or resources.

Sister: Man, wife gunned down at church 'died fighting for his baby girl'

Nathan "Brad" Maddox had spent the last several months in a custody battle with his ex-wife's parent's for visitation of the girl. He chronicled his custody battle on a Give Forward support page titled “Help Me Save My Daughter.” On the website he claimed his fight began in 2011 after his ex-wife denied him visitation with Madison for nine months and then abandoned her with his ex-wife's parents.

“There is nothing in this world like having your child taken from you,” he wrote. “I thank God everyday that there is a chance I'll see her; a chance that she may know her 'Dada' loves her. Each and everyday without her is a struggle that has taken a piece of me. Everyday without her I lose another piece of me.”

Nathan Maddox's ex-wife is out on bond in Tyler County, charged with methamphetamine delivery and possession, and has also been involved with counterfeit money, according to his attorney, Ryan Deaton

more at link .................. http://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/article_0d77bfde-813a-11e3-9f24-0019bb2963f4.html

I think for me personally, I just don't see the sense in depriving a child the love of a caring parent. Nathan sounds like a caring father, I can't even begin to wrap my head around taking that love away from a child, no matter what the issues between the parents. In the end, all this type of action does is cause unnecessary pain and suffering to the child. For what?

Please do not link to donation sites unless you get prior permission from the admins. Thanks

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back