1464 users online (275 members and 1189 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"Ms. Zalunardo was found in heavy brush where she utilized a piece of clothing she took with her to hang herself," according to the coroner's office press release. "There were no signs or evidence to indicate this tragic incident was anything other than a suicide."

Deltas Gammas and others in the OSU community were "shocked" that this seemingly happy woman looking forward to her stint with the firefighting crew took her own life.

Ellen Taylor, licensed psychologist and director of OSU Counseling and Psychological Services, is using this tragedy to remind the community that suicide can claim unlikely victims.

Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among college-aged students, and Oregon ranks 11th in the nation for overall suicide rates, Taylor said.

"There's no typical case for suicide," Taylor explained. Her department is educating those on campus about the warning signs of suicide, as well as alerting students to the support services that are available.

Laura Cushman, Panhellenic Council president, and Brice Nesbitt, Interfraternity Council president, said that, in light of Zalunardo's death and past Shasta disasters, the Greek community will now be discouraged from participating in the traditional Mother's Day weekend trip."

There's more at the link
    http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles...y/ashasta2.txt

at the bottom of this story is a message board with some interesting posts:

http://barometer.orst.edu/vnews/disp.../4288f74ec3a8c

so I have a question.

If someone wanted to make it look like she hanged herself, would they be able to tell???

Just from what I know about suicides, woman Usually prefer pills, and or cutting of the wrists.

I could definitely be wrong though.

I am very sorry that she was found dead
    thoughts are with the family

i find this extremely hard to believe...

first of all...i agree with the above poster that it is odd for women (especially someone like Gina) to use hanging as a method of suicide.

Next, she went missing sometime that night and was found at 11:15 am the next morning. There were approx. 500 people on the lake during this time. Anyone could've easily crafted this cover up.

Even with the fight with her boyfriend (i would like to hear more about this..did they break up? etc) i would think that in a fun environment such as a party and being around all her sorority sisters would prevent her from an act....I know if I was in the same situation I would just drink my troubles away that night and then worry about it the next day.

Maybe did did do just that, drank way too much, and stumbled off course and some drunk guy assaulted her? I dunno. I hate to say it (because it's said all the time) but suicide seems fishy.

Unhappy

i just saw this piece of info:

No one saw Zalunardo leave the houseboat, officials said, but she got separated from a group of students who were vacationing on the houseboat. Zalunardo was reported missing Sunday morning after her friends and boyfriend said they had searched for her overnight and thought she had decided to sleep on another neighboring boat.

This helps me believe suicide, actually (despite my previous post). She could've gotten upset after the fight with her boyfriend, got really drunk, and wandered off. Lost, by herself, and drunk, she could've easily thought that no one cared about her to come looking for her (even though they said they looked and thought she went to sleep in another houseboat) and got so upset she hanged herself. I can see this happening. I wonder what the toxicology reports say.

A lady I knew hung herself from a tree behind her house, so while it dosn't seem likely, it happens

The police said there were no marks or abrasions, yet she was found on the ground in the heavy brush? Wouldn't there have been marks from the asphyxiation? From the fall into the brush? She was obviously found outside- how did she get up in order to hang herself? How is it that the body fell, and didn't remain hanging?

One poster on that message board said that she was found at a difficult to get to place on Slaughterhouse Island. Did she make her way there by herself in the dark?

PrayersforMaura is right about the other board--here's one of the comments:

"It's a terrible tragedy and I happen to agree that it wasn't suicide in the manner in which they stated...however, there is no foul play here-let's all just let a sleeping dog lie and hope for the best for her friends and family."

Meaning...she overdosed, and was moved afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex
    PrayersforMaura is right about the other board--here's one of the comments:

"It's a terrible tragedy and I happen to agree that it wasn't suicide in the manner in which they stated...however, there is no foul play here-let's all just let a sleeping dog lie and hope for the best for her friends and family."

Meaning...she overdosed, and was moved afterwards?
    time will definitely tell.
    that seems like a Much more plausible answer.
    but who knows at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2