TX - Missing service pig Demeter located and returned to owner who has health issues

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Missing service pig found. (ksat.com)
SAN ANTONIO - A service animal missing since Wednesday has been found.

Sarah Snyder said her service pig, Demeter, disappeared in the area of Mathis Road and Interstate 37 in south Bexar County.

"We were just picking stuff up from the ground and all of a sudden we noticed she was missing," said Snyder.

Demeter helps its owner deal with anxiety, fibromyalgia, and gcoliosis.

On Thursday evening Snyder reported Demeter was returned to her.
---
"She's my therapy animal, she helps me with anxiety issues and I have two chronic muscular pain diseases and she alerts me to those before they get to be too bad," said Snyder.
pictures of the noble Demeter at the link above

A pig can not be a service animal according to federal law. Only dogs and mini horses can. (I'm up a creek if I ever need one, because I'm very allergic to dogs, and horses don't have to be accomidated, though I'd probably need a stablilty animal so a horse would work.)

It sounds like this is an Emotional Support Animal, which is not the same thing as a service animal and actually has very few rights outside of housing and air travel.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...o-woman-reunited-with-service-pig-5169563.php

Named for a Greek goddess, Sarah Snyder, 33, of San Antonio, has owned Demeter since she was 6 weeks old. The black-and-white pig, now 2 years old, is a constant companion for Snyder, who has anxiety, depression and chronic muscular diseases, including fibromyalgia, acute sciatica and scoliosis.

snip

Demeter, along with being a service pet is also a therapy pet, and she went right to work shortly after her return, massaging some pressure points on Snyder to relieve some stress and to show affection, she said.

LOL @ the pics of her sitting in the truck looking out the window… priceless.

That'll do pig, that'll do. :)

"She's my therapy animal, she helps me with anxiety issues and I have two chronic muscular pain diseases and she alerts me to those before they get to be too bad," said Snyder.

bolded part doesn't make sense. How can the pig alert her? She herself would know because she would be having milder symptoms.

My beef here is if she thinks the pig helps her, who cares if it is a typical service animal or not? She feels it is a help to her life.

I don't know why anyone would debate this.

The pics of the pig are just adorable..:loveyou:

Goz

There's a Greek goddess named Sarah? Snyder was a baby when she got that pig? Wow, isn't 33 years quite old for a pig?

Good question. I looked it up. 25 years wild and half that tamed. There's no way that pig is 33 yrs. old.

My beef here is if she thinks the pig helps her, who cares if it is a typical service animal or not? She feels it is a help to her life.

I don't know why anyone would debate this.

Legally it can not be a service animal, as mentioned above, only dogs and occasionally mini horses are legally service animals, and only dogs have all the rights. It does sound like it helps her, and it does have a legal term, Emotional Support Animal, if she has a doctor's note for it.

A real service animal would not have wandered off, and would need a lot more training than a pig could do. When an animal is passed off as a Service animal when it's not, it hurts real service animals and causes issues for their handlers with access, and public opinion. It's like all the pocket dogs that people pass off as service animals and carry around everywhere (a big no-no, service dogs should be on the floor to prevent dander spreading), feed under their tables in restaurants and let everybody else touch. Those arent' things that a dog who is working should be doing.

There's a Greek goddess named Sarah? Snyder was a baby when she got that pig? Wow, isn't 33 years quite old for a pig?

Um. I hope you're being sarcastic. Lol

Demeter the pig (now 2) was 6 weeks old when Sarah, 33, first got her.

As far as service animals.. Pigs are very intelligent so protected or not I can see it being very good for therapy purposes.

Sounds like a case of crappy journalism ruining a cute story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As far as service animals.. Pigs are very intelligent so protected or not I can see it being very good for therapy purposes.
If she has a doctor's note for an Emotional Support Animal, it has housing/airline protection.
Sounds like a case of crappy journalism ruining a cute story.

I agree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back