UK UK - 'Mary', 40, Exeter, Devon, 23 Jan 2014

zwiebel

Reaction score
This is a mysterious case. A 40 year old woman missing from Exeter, UK, named Mary. Last seen the morning of January 23.

Police obviously know where she lives but for some reason haven't released her surname. I can find no other media about Mary's case. She is white, 5'5" with dark brown hair in a clip, wearing a pink hoodie, grey jogging bottoms and Ugg boots. No photo available. Police say do not approach her, just call 999 if you have seen her.

Note: Police do not say call the usual general number for missing people of 101. Only emergency 999 is advised.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....ter/story-20487277-detail/story.html#comments

Ominously, on this Exeter FB here, someone has posted a SAR video of the local river Exe today, saying it culminated in a person being found in the water. I will try and find further details.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/ILoveExeter

This article seems to confirm it was a man pulled from the water, on Friday 24th Jan. He's in hospital but must be the luckiest man alive. The water had taken him over a weir and under shrubbery. He was there one and half hours. Not only did someone manage to spot him, but the fire dept had recently been lent a boat to cope with flooding. So they were able to rescue him immediately.
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....xe-90-minute/story-20496528-detail/story.html

Hopefully, Mary would also have been spotted if she went into the water. If police can release a photo of her this week, I think there will be a much greater chance of them getting a tip about her whereabouts.

Thanks for flagging this up zwiebel - hadn't heard about this.
We seem to have far too many missing under worrying circumstances in the UK at the moment.

The instruction to call 999 rather than 101 is indeed very unusual. I think that they would only do this if they believed that she was either an imminent danger to others or to herself or if they needed to speak to her urgently and were concerned about her being a 'flight risk'.

Just a small thing, but the article actually now says "don't make her aware of the police interest" rather than "don't approach her". I don't know if the wording's been updated since you posted, but that tends to make me think that they don't consider her a danger to others.

You're quite correct Sarah. I used a different phrase and it imparts a different meaning. It definitely is 'don't make her aware'.

I have found zero other articles and there is still no photo. Quite honestly, I don't think the public's going to be able help much unless police release a photo.

Looks like they don't want her to know they are looking for her. Very strange. Wonder what is behind their strategy.

It's certainly a strange one and very, very little coverage of it - I'm really not seeing how the public can help much either.

I just hope that if she's at risk for any reason that she's found safe and well.

I am deeply, deeply concerned for the welfare of this missing lady whoever she is. There are terribly dangerous weather conditions in the south of England where she disappeared and it's not being handled well by authorities. Public Transport is disrupted and damaged, sea defences have failed and people in some areas are being evacuated.

Pics here of Mary's town and what the sea is doing.
https://en-gb.facebook.com/ILoveExeter

Meanwhile, still not a shred more info from Exeter police. No photo, no full name. No circumstances around Mary's disappearance and not a hint of any family members searching for her. But the public are expectedto help...somehow.

I'm thinking I should have opened this thread in our bizarre forum instead. I have never seen anything like it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back