1299 users online (203 members and 1096 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Parents fight cyberbullying with lawsuit

Parents fight cyberbullying with lawsuit

“How many children is it going to take to commit suicide, to kill themselves, to hurt themselves … because of bullies out there? And the parents don't want to take responsibility,” Shellie Esquivel said.

The couple’s lawyer, Tej Paranjpe, said the goal of the lawsuit is to set a precedent, and put a chill on future bullying.
    http://www.today.com/moms/parents-fi...uit-2D11999975

Quote Originally Posted by CatFancier View Post
    Parents fight cyberbullying with lawsuit

http://www.today.com/moms/parents-fi...uit-2D11999975
    Good I'm glad their suing.

My son is slightly Autistic n has some learning difficulties... We have to keep a constant eye on his school mates who sometimes bully him in school by calling him names n in social media. In school, if he hears anyone calling him a name, he'll report them. And he has reported a few. On Social Media we will monitor his friends n activities. We just deleted a few of his so-called friends from his Instagram acct. We told him anyone that calls u names or makes fun of you isn't your friend. Now some of those so-called friends r asking him why he (my wife n I) deleted them from his instagram acct. We just tell him to ignore them n don't speak with them.

Some kids r just jerks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rpgman View Post
    Good I'm glad their suing.

My son is slightly Autistic n has some learning difficulties... We have to keep a constant eye on his school mates who sometimes bully him in school by calling him names n in social media. In school, if he hears anyone calling him a name, he'll report them. And he has reported a few. On Social Media we will monitor his friends n activities. We just deleted a few of his so-called friends from his Instagram acct. We told him anyone that calls u names or makes fun of you isn't your friend. Now some of those so-called friends r asking him why he (my wife n I) deleted them from his instagram acct. We just tell him to ignore them n don't speak with them.

Some kids r just jerks.

I found it interesting that the one boy in the Bully movie (the one who appeared to possibly be on the spectrum) had difficulty determining the difference between an friend fooling around and someone bullying. It made me realize that kids on the spectrum need extra help navigating those teenaged years. I'm glad you are doing your part to help make sure your son is safe!
    -Beth In Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK View Post
    I found it interesting that the one boy in the Bully movie (the one who appeared to possibly be on the spectrum) had difficulty determining the difference between an friend fooling around and someone bullying. It made me realize that kids on the spectrum need extra help navigating those teenaged years. I'm glad you are doing your part to help make sure your son is safe!
    Thanx. Yes my son does have difficulties determining when a friend/person is fooling around or is bullying him. Therefore, I can see people taking advantage of him later in life unless my wife and I guide him along. He has poor social skills.

I would love to see a precedent set for cyberbullying after this lawsuit. I'm so sick of the news reports of yet another twitter page or instagram account created solely to humiliate the peers of the anonymous creator.

Social media has its downfall, and if you ask me, the downfall is that it gives the immature bullying child a vehicle for their cruel words.

When I was in middle school, we did not have any of this social media. I remember a mean, false rumor was spread about me. I went home and cried over it and after about three or four days the entire incident was forgotten from the minds of my peers, and that was the end of it.

But now, kids can use social media to make those horrible rumors permanent, forever relevant in the form of an instagram post or a nasty tweet. So the victim can't move on and forget about it, because it's embedded into the cyber universe.

Even worse, like rpgman mentioned, some victims are taken advantage of because they are not aware of the cruelty behind their so called "friends" posts.

Hopefully this lawsuit is a game changer.