951 users online (192 members and 759 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Another disabled girl assualted on school bus

Mentally Disabled Girl Possibly Assaulted On Bus
    Sister Finds Girl On School Bus

POSTED: 7:59 am CDT May 13, 2005

CHICAGO -- The New City girl's 14-year-old sister found her at 3:45 p.m. with her clothes disheveled and signs of sexual assault on a school bus she rides home after school, police News Affairs Officer JoAnn Taylor said.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4485363/det...105132005&ts=H

Oh that poor little girl!!

They better be looking at that driver very carefully either he did it or he should have seen what was going on.

That poor family. Can you not trust anybody? If the driver did it, he should be shot. How will they know who did this if the child is blind and there was no dna? My town has cameras on school buses. I wonder if this one did? How will this mother ever trust anyone with her child again? Just makes me sick.

Its just terrible

I know the "mainstream" idea is supposed to make children with disabilities "fit in" with the rest of the children, but it just seems to me all it really does is make them targets to be bullied and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    Its just terrible

I know the "mainstream" idea is supposed to make children with disabilities "fit in" with the rest of the children, but it just seems to me all it really does is make them targets to be bullied and worse.
    Timex, I so agree! I've been a school volunteer for twenty-five years and I see it repeatedly. In other cases, it makes it nearly impossible for the "normal" kids to learn anything. I believe each child should be individually evaluated for placement. This poor child! I wonder if only other elementary students were on the bus?

Actually, "mainstreaming" isn't about trying to make disabled children "fit in". It's supposed to be about providing the supports and services those children need in order to be in the regular education classroom that they have every right to be in, in the first place.

More often than not, the problem lies with the teachers and staff who for years have repeatedly seen this bullying and victimizing going on, but yet stand back and shake their heads instead of trying to teach "regular" children that they should be respectful. Disabled children work a thousand times harder due to their disabilities than any "regular" child would even dream about.

The girl on this bus should have had an aide traveling with her to ensure her safety. Sending her on a "special" bus to a "special" classroom is not the answer. If you limit a disabled child's environment to only other disabilities, that's all they'll ever know. Some children do need smaller classrooms, and special services, but more importantly, they need the general population to accept them and give them the credit they deserve for even trying to succeed in the first place.
    the ever impressive, the long contained, often imitated, but never duplicated...
    mcbannie

smlid

If the "normal" children aren't learning its because the school is undermining the concept of an "appropriate" education. They put many in mainstream classroom without the support to make it work so when re-eval time comes around they can justify placing that child in a contained classroom. (Out of site out of mind)

Even if a parent of a special education child wants to ensure their child is not only safe but educated ..it is rare that they get the support of the school system or know where to find the information to make it happen.
    And for many a public school is the only option. Imagine a child who can't tell you of their day?? Imagine a child (like the one in the story) who can't see what is going on around her?

Its a catch 22 the people who are to inform you of your rights are the same ones who work for the school district and have to justify expenses to their bosses.

Obvioulsy this is a simplified example.

I don't want to say that all schools are like this. I have dealt with some amazing people and schools but I have also dealt with schools who were still of the mindset that autistic children, like my son, where that way because their mothers didn't hold them or love them enough as infants.
    I have seen schools take the federal dollars they recieve and not spend a dime of it to even make the smallest attept to educate these children.

I can't afford a private school for my son so my only choice is to make the public schools work.
    Being that we move every few years for hubby's job I have had to ensure my son's safety and his right to be educated in several different counties. Each county has their own way of dealing with these children and their parents.

He always has a TRAINED aide. The transportation staff and any sub drivers must be trained to handle him. I recently demanded that a camera be on his bus at all times.
    The solution to mainstreaming (which isn't always a viable option) IMO is to have one or two Special Education teachers teaching regular classes at each grade level.
    CUrrently regular education teachers often don't even know that Special Ed children have to right to be in a mainstream classroom to the fullest extent possible. They are given a very small lesson in college about ESE kids and thats it.
    Whereas Special Ed teachers are trained to teach regular children and Special needs ones. They recieve additional education.
    SO we have these teachers at each grade level teaching a regular class and ESE children who are mainstreamed can be placed into those classrooms with a teacher who isn't totally overwelhmed and the supports needed to make it work as the law entitles these children to. Possibly the class ratio is a bit smaller. As a parent of "normal" children as well I would have no problem with that.

Sorry I didn't mean to take this thread sooo off topic..

I feel bad for that little girl and I feel bad for every child like her put in such situations. Even moreso I feel bad for the parents who have nowhere to turn and no idea how to get help.

Our experience with the system was awful. Yes, the school got extra funding for my "special needs" child, but he received practically NO services. And the services he did receive we had to fight tooth and nail to get. Many times the teacher was at the "head" of the bullying IMO, because she made it so obvious that our child was "different" than his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    Our experience with the system was awful. Yes, the school got extra funding for my "special needs" child, but he received practically NO services. And the services he did receive we had to fight tooth and nail to get. Many times the teacher was at the "head" of the bullying IMO, because she made it so obvious that our child was "different" than his peers.
    Been there done that ... still doing it ...

Mary Kate, I apologize. The children I was referring to are the ones who are severely "emotionally" and/or "behaviorally" challenged. My children have had many special education students in their rooms with no problem. The problem comes when students simply cannot be kept in line. In one case, there was an aide but she had to run between two rooms and wasn't always there when needed. In another class, there was NO aide at all. I don't know what the answer is but I do feel that ALL students have the right to learn, even if they are "normal".

I figure that the little girl was probably entitled to a bus aide but the school never informed the parents that they had to request one or something along that line. My recent experience with the school system is that they are dishonest, they will lie straight to your face, and they do not inform the parent of pertinent information sometimes even if the parent asks. They are trying to save money and that is the bottom line. Parents practically have to go to law school to figure all the jargon and find any information on the laws and what all help is available. Chicago is probably even worse that Texas. If other students did this to the girl, then they are rapists who saw a weak victim to attack and had probably caused all sorts of trouble on that bus before now.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki
    I figure that the little girl was probably entitled to a bus aide but the school never informed the parents that they had to request one or something along that line. My recent experience with the school system is that they are dishonest, they will lie straight to your face, and they do not inform the parent of pertinent information sometimes even if the parent asks. They are trying to save money and that is the bottom line. Parents practically have to go to law school to figure all the jargon and find any information on the laws and what all help is available. Chicago is probably even worse that Texas. If other students did this to the girl, then they are rapists who saw a weak victim to attack and had probably caused all sorts of trouble on that bus before now.
    I agree. At least our District has finally put cameras on all the buses. I hope we will hear about how this case is handled.

Sheromom its ok.

In the cases you describe I am sure the parents didn't know what rights they have. Some parents truly do believe that mainstreaming is best for their child even if it isn't. It isn't always which is often hard for parents to accept.
    And in some cases mainstreaming is the lesser of two evil's.
    Mainstreaming is only good if it works for everyone involved and if the school staff has the right mentality which is often a reflection of the administers mentality.

Txsvicki.
    Your right! They do lie. Sometimes not on purpose just out of ignorance.
    I've encountered both.

About the little girl.. Legally she is entitled to anything and everything that makes it possible for her to receive a FREE Appropriate education.
    Appropriate being WHAT SHE SPECIFICALLY needs. That is the point of the IEP. Sadly most parents don't know that if its not written on the IEP the school doesn't have to provide it. Parents also don't know that they are an equal part of the team that writes the IEP. The law recognizes that parents know their child best.
    If She needs an aide on the bus to keep her safe then that is what is apporpriate for her.

As a side note if you need anyhelp battleing the school txsvicki (or anyone else) feel free to PM me.