1526 users online (256 members and 1270 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Canada - Jeffrey Boucher, 52, Whitby ON, 13 Jan 2014 - #2

Jeffrey Boucher

Jeffrey Boucher is a 52 year old teacher at Bowmanville High School and an avid runner who has gone missing. He was last seen on Monday morning January, 13th, 2014 to go on a run. He never returned home. Normally, Boucher's daily runs go on for about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles), but he does not keep to the same route. When he failed to return home, his wife contacted authorities, and a search was then ensued. Boucher is a white male, 6', he weighs 180 lbs, he has graying brown hair with brown eyes.

Please contact the Durham regional police at 1-888-579-1520.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/01/13/po...ng-whitby-man/

Thread #1
    Last edited by KateB; 04-18-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

AND don't overlook these!!!!

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civl and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed.

Thanks,

Cat
    Last edited by KateB; 04-18-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Please continue here...

I wonder how the money was discovered in his desk. I can only assume that his desk was locked right? Maybe someone came looking for it, like the principal or another teacher? Jeff say's "oh, its right here in my desk", which is a breach of procedure. So after 25 odd years of teaching and countless trips, you'd think he'd know the policy? But then again, maybe that is how he always did it and he just got caught this time.

I honestly think that event may have been what pushed him over the edge. Maybe his home life wasn't all he wanted it to be. Now some school principal is ragging on him because he volunteers his time and effort to take a bunch of kids skiing. Seems like a little thing to most of us, but in that context it could have been extremely hurtful to JB.

But you never know. Maybe he's skimming money off the top, turning a profit on these trips. So he collects $3500, but the actual trip costs $2500. Maybe he leaves friday thinking its only a matter of time before someone does the math.

But really, absolutely anything could have happened to this guy and we aren't going to figure it out without finding him.

Quote Originally Posted by dairydog View Post
    I agree Inspecktor Clueso. This is all so confusing. It must be a nightmare for this family as maybe they really don't know the whys and what happened any more than we do. If they do have a good idea then maybe posters and vigils would serve no purpose. I had a colleague many years ago who attempted suicide but thankfully survived. I had an inkling for quite awhile that something awful would happen and sure enough it did. We would chat but she would divulge nothing. She was also a quiet person and introverted. It was only after this happened that the full story and whys emerged. So it is possible that JB's scenario is similar but sadly if this is the case I'm afraid he is no longer with us. I still wonder if LE has asked the family about any suspicions. I'm guessing they
    have.
    You know what I keep coming back to.... why now?

If he did run off, or commit suicide, why did he choose now to do it? It seems like an odd time unless there was a trigger. He was heading into exams, he was doing the prep work etc.

Which makes me think - yes it is really odd about the whole money thing the week before. I think more than anything with this case it is the coincidental timing of everything that just makes it feel like... everything is connected.

Lots of talk about depression, yet I always thought jogging pumps up your endorphins and makes you feel happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Lots of talk about depression, yet I always thought jogging pumps up your endorphins and makes you feel happy.
    I know! You'd automatically think that, right?

But then I think about if it was depression, doesn't depression leave you tired, always sleeping in bed, unmotivated, miss work a lot, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time accepting that depression is factoring in here. Manic depression, perhaps.

-JB's work attendance record was very strong, described as "perfect."
    -JB had planned and taken many overseas trips, requiring extensive planning and energy.
    -He was running an extracurricular progam at work.
    -He was in a running group and ran considerable distances daily.

I know I'm really generalizing here. Depression does not hit everyone the same way. But I've felt down in the dumps and it took everything I had to muster up the energy to open the fridge and feed the kids their lunch, you know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by HulaMum View Post
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time accepting that depression is factoring in here. Manic depression, perhaps.

-JB's work attendance record was very strong, described as "perfect."
    -JB had planned and taken many overseas trips, requiring extensive planning and energy.
    -He was running an extracurricular progam at work.
    -He was in a running group and ran considerable distances daily.

I know I'm really generalizing here. Depression does not hit everyone the same way. But I've felt down in the dumps and it took everything I had to muster up the energy to open the fridge and feed the kids their lunch, you know what I mean?
    Not sure when his last trip was. He skipped the last Cuba trip. I believe it was China 3 or 4 years back? We already know that he'd been given a talking to at work just before he disappeared. And as far as the running goes, as a runner I can tell you that there are many times you wonder to yourself "why the hell am I doing this?". Most guys start running because they want to look good, and mostly to the opposite sex. At some point your wife will stop really caring what you look like, and if you are the monogamous type, you sometimes question what the point is. In many ways I am very similar to JB, 52 years old, quite, hard working, perfect attendance, etc. You reach a point in life where you ask yourself "what's my purpose besides providing for my family?". Sometimes I'm tired and don't feel like working out, but I'm a man who lives by his routine. Your kids have grown up and become self sufficient. Your wife barely notices you anymore. And you wonder if you can go on like this for another 15 years until you retire. Guys, especially guys like JB will never express these kinds of feelings, but I can guarantee at least some of them were there.

It's possible for a person to be depressed and still go jogging. Some people take up exercise to help control their moods, and it does help. Maybe it helps for years to keep the really bad stuff at bay. Then, things get really bad, so you jog more -- maybe for hours! But it doesn't work anymore, and now you have nothing to rely on to make you feel better.

(Someone like this would benefit from professional help, but there are some people who just don't believe in it and can't imagine that it would help...)

Quote Originally Posted by andreww View Post
    Not sure when his last trip was. He skipped the last Cuba trip. I believe it was China 3 or 4 years back? We already know that he'd been given a talking to at work just before he disappeared. And as far as the running goes, as a runner I can tell you that there are many times you wonder to yourself "why the hell am I doing this?". Most guys start running because they want to look good, and mostly to the opposite sex. At some point your wife will stop really caring what you look like, and if you are the monogamous type, you sometimes question what the point is. In many ways I am very similar to JB, 52 years old, quite, hard working, perfect attendance, etc. You reach a point in life where you ask yourself "what's my purpose besides providing for my family?". Sometimes I'm tired and don't feel like working out, but I'm a man who lives by his routine. Your kids have grown up and become self sufficient. Your wife barely notices you anymore. And you wonder if you can go on like this for another 15 years until you retire. Guys, especially guys like JB will never express these kinds of feelings, but I can guarantee at least some of them were there.
    I was only quoting to say that I believe the math was worked out in thread 1 and he was only a couple years (4?) away from being able to retire, but I also want to throw in a quick aside re:thebbm. I hope that never happens to my marriage because that sounds like a dreadful way to live.

(an aside from the aside: is that what happened to JB? Did that lead to a mid-life crisis??)
    "One person can make a difference, and everyone should try." JFK

Perhaps Jeffrey’s problem wasn’t depression but anger. There are various ways to handle anger and it can be very self-destructive. A week before he disappeared he was advised not to keep money in his desk, so he could have decided to retaliate by ending his life. moo

I think the big problem here is that we all think we know JB from the relatively little that is posted about him online.

The good:
    -Traveled frequently
    -Avid runner
    -Avid cyclist
    -Avid skier
    -Perfect work attendance record
    -Organized extra curricular school outings

The Bad:
    -Didn't share problems
    -Didn't seem to have any close friends
    -Didn't travel with wife to Cuba at New Years
    -Didn't bring wife to Chalet on final weekend
    -Was reprimanded at work for money incident
    -Disappeared on Sunday with no regard for family
    -Did not participate on social media

This is not a lot of information, but I do start to see a pattern of a guy that is increasingly becoming a loner. From the cold reactions to his disappearance from his wife and daughter, and the fact that his other daughter never even came home from school, I really have the feeling that his family life was less than spectacular. We really don't know a lot about his professional life aside from what was listed above, but with 4 years left to retirement eligibility, and the fact that he hadn't advanced to a principal role, I would have to assume that he was either not ambitious or he was simply not qualified. So simply an unremarkable career.

What I don't see is a closeness to anyone or anything. I've never seen a photo of this guy where he's not participating in some sporting event, with the exception of a professional family portrait and a school yearbook pic. I certainly don't see any evidence of JB being a well rounded person. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww View Post
    I think the big problem here is that we all think we know JB from the relatively little that is posted about him online.

The good:
    -Traveled frequently
    -Avid runner
    -Avid cyclist
    -Avid skier
    -Perfect work attendance record
    -Organized extra curricular school outings

The Bad:
    -Didn't share problems
    -Didn't seem to have any close friends
    -Didn't travel with wife to Cuba at New Years
    -Didn't bring wife to Chalet on final weekend
    -Was reprimanded at work for money incident
    -Disappeared on Sunday with no regard for family
    -Did not participate on social media

This is not a lot of information, but I do start to see a pattern of a guy that is increasingly becoming a loner. From the cold reactions to his disappearance from his wife and daughter, and the fact that his other daughter never even came home from school, I really have the feeling that his family life was less than spectacular. We really don't know a lot about his professional life aside from what was listed above, but with 4 years left to retirement eligibility, and the fact that he hadn't advanced to a principal role, I would have to assume that he was either not ambitious or he was simply not qualified. So simply an unremarkable career.

What I don't see is a closeness to anyone or anything. I've never seen a photo of this guy where he's not participating in some sporting event, with the exception of a professional family portrait and a school yearbook pic. I certainly don't see any evidence of JB being a well rounded person. Sorry.
    Excellent observation. You could very well be on to something. It's funny because you don't even see a 'lovey-dovey' photo of him and his wife, (and kids even). Very strange. Not even to go as far as 'lovey dovey',but ANY form of closeness whatsoever. I know my parents have been married for over 40 years, and they at least put their arm around each other in a photo.

As a professional photographer myself, nevermind how they are posed (albeit very strangely posed), but you can tell a lot about someone by looking in their eyes. Look at all of their eyes in their family photo. There seems to be an emptiness.
    Last edited by Inspektor Clueso; 01-29-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling

In some cases like this, there are societal influences on the remaining family members that affect the quality of the information they share with LE.

In cases dealing with PTSD, Anger, Mid-life crisis, mental heath, etc, many times societal influences and feelings of shame skew the raw information needed to resolve the case.

Sometimes when a spouse leaves "momentarily"(as interpreted by the remaining spouse)the family members are shameful and reluctant to provide relative information needed to pinpoint the situation.

They do this understandably due to societal pressures of privacy, embarrassment, shame, denial. They even hope they come back soon before the word gets around about the infidelity and a choice must then be made.
    A choice easier made and lived with when few outsiders know, including the Police. Especially if a divorce lawyer looks for LE reports on his clients spouse.

Mental health issues are much the same, especially depression, and is viewed many times as a very short term, temporary issue because in many cases it is.
    So the thinking is to protect that information until the quick recovery and everyone dodges another societal "stigma," and exposure, etc.

There are also individuals that are capable of showing love, being loved and can function well in relationships. Unfortunately they also have the ability to switch off normal emotions, diminish the importance of their responsibility, and rationalize why they are justified in simply walking away from everything.

Now given a few of the above possibilities one can appreciate what LE could be dealing with, coupled with the fact that an adult can legally disappear of their own free will and Rights.

One can also understand the family behavior to some degree when they may not actually "know" what happened to Boucher but hope and think it may be a minor thing compared to an ominous ending. So perhaps they simply "hedge" their emotion, their outward behavior and their information to police.

The last possibility is they really are clueless as to what happened to Boucher and have no honest idea. Some families are oblivious to anything unless it is outside the historical routine. If you asked what specific shoe or coat someone was last wearing, they have a real difficult time figuring it out.
    For some, a goodbye kiss at the door is an uneventful marital routine, for some of us it is taken as much more and can be instantly recalled upon request.

Locard's exchange principal dictates that evidence will and does exist of an event such as this, even if only briefly. The ability to retrieve the evidence is the task.

Disclaimer......I am offering commentary on this thread based on my personal past experience(s).
    Last edited by Archangel7; 01-29-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Disclaimer added
    Ignorance deceptively wins the argument with knowledge.....you see, knowledge is limited at any given point in time, ignorance is not.

Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast