Kansas school issues warning after fifth-graders caught snorting Smarties

Jewels53

Reaction score
watching their parents or watching inappropriate movie/tv program.

Every time I think I've heard it all turns out I was wrong.

I thought I heard of almost everything until I read this. How did these kids learn how to do this?

I'm not sure, but at about that age some friends and my brother and I decided to try to snort pixie stick. Oh it hurt, never again. We thought we might get a sugar rush, and to be honest, I have no idea where the thought came from, other than it was the 80's and cocaine was in the media. None of our families did drugs.

So, this makes me laugh. It's such a kid thing to try.

Edited to add- I think the school is doing the right thing with nipping it in the bud, but I don't think it's media worthy, as it is something that kids try

How ironic they used Smarties. Pretty dumb thing to do :facepalm:

Does inhaling Smarties make them smart? :crazy:

I'm not sure, but at about that age some friends and my brother and I decided to try to snort pixie stick. Oh it hurt, never again. We thought we might get a sugar rush, and to be honest, I have no idea where the thought came from, other than it was the 80's and cocaine was in the media. None of our families did drugs.

Edited to add- I think the school is doing the right thing with nipping it in the bud, but I don't think it's media worthy, as it is something that kids try

I have never snorted anything but seriously, Smarties or Pixie Stixs. I would think anything up the nose would burn. I thought the 80's was about glue and spray paint. But I grew up in the 60's, so what do I know.

I don't really think this is new's worthy either, the only reason I posted it was because I was so shocked that kids are snorting candy!

In the 80's my cousin and I did the exact same thing. :skip:

Anyone see the article about this on the news site U.K. Mail Online a few days ago? It showed nasal cavities full of live maggots due to the high sugar content. ( I expect this type of infestation happens in the warmer months).

I never wanted to snort or inhale anything as a child and certainly not as an adult. People die from pulmonary fibrosis due to inhaling things. Pulmonary fibrosis is a life- ending disease. That's the largest danger, not even the maggots. Oh, yuck.

Around the same age (and also in the 80s), I remember kids in my class doing the same thing, also with pixie sticks. I remember mostly it because my mom was volunteering in the classroom, was the one that caught them, she made a *huge* stink about it, and I was super, super embarrassed! I guess there's nothing new under the sun?

Anyone see the article about this on the news site U.K. Mail Online a few days ago? It showed nasal cavities full of live maggots due to the high sugar content. ( I expect this type of infestation happens in the warmer months).

I never wanted to snort or inhale anything as a child and certainly not as an adult. People die from pulmonary fibrosis due to inhaling things. Pulmonary fibrosis is a life- ending disease. That's the largest danger, not even the maggots. Oh, yuck.

BBM

Yep, I read it and I don't believe it. I think they were using the maggots as a scare tactic to make the kids not want to do it.

For maggots to appear, you need flies to lay eggs. When did the flies get up the kids noses without being noticed?

ETA: to add the news link which says "frequent snorting could rarely lead to maggots feeding on the sugary dust inside the nose." Nope, I don't believe it. Maggots eat rotting flesh. I've seen plenty of maggots on road kill and other dead critters. I've never seen maggots on a blob of gum or candy. Lots of ants on the sugary trash, but not maggots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raze-kids-crush-candies-inhale-dust-nose.html

In Canada, those are called Rockets and Smarties are candy covered chocolate.
I remember doing stupid things like this when I was a kid.

Edited because I forgot why I was commenting in the first place.. But when I saw the title I was wondering how the heck kids managed to crush and snort Smarties.

But when I saw the title I was wondering how the heck kids managed to crush and snort Smarties.

Same here! And now I want (better) Canadian smarties.

Kids do dumb things. I used to eat the playdough that my Mom made and I think I ate glue on occasion. :facepalm:

BBM

Yep, I read it and I don't believe it. I think they were using the maggots as a scare tactic to make the kids not want to do it.

For maggots to appear, you need flies to lay eggs. When did the flies get up the kids noses without being noticed?

ETA: to add the news link which says "frequent snorting could rarely lead to maggots feeding on the sugary dust inside the nose." Nope, I don't believe it. Maggots eat rotting flesh. I've seen plenty of maggots on road kill and other dead critters. I've never seen maggots on a blob of gum or candy. Lots of ants on the sugary trash, but not maggots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raze-kids-crush-candies-inhale-dust-nose.html

I have never heard of nostril maggots. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back