1212 users online (194 members and 1018 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19,876

    Montreal woman dies after scarf and hair get caught on escalator

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...eath-1.2516971

    "A 48-year-old woman died this morning after her scarf got caught in the escalator at the Fabre Metro station in Montreal.


    The entrance of the Metro at Jean-Talon Street East and Fabre Street is now closed until further notice while the coroner and police investigate.
    The incident happened around 9:15 a.m. ET Thursday at an unsupervised, automatic entrance to the Metro station on the blue line.

    "She got strangled… and the woman… passed away on scene,” said Const. Jean-Pierre Brabant of the Montreal police.

    A witness told investigators that the woman's hair also caught in the escalator after she bent down in an attempt to dislodge her scarf"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19,876
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1117860/wo...tro-escalator/

    "The tragic incident led to a significant safety upgrade to the store’s escalators.

    The escalator manufacturer, Thyssen Krupp, said would install a “comb plate safety switch” that automatically shuts down the escalator when something becomes stuck.

    Scarf or hijab?
    Some media outlets are reporting that the woman was wearing a hijab at the time of the accident, although Montreal police said that they can’t officially confirm what kind of scarf was involved in the incident".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1117860/wo...tro-escalator/

    "The tragic incident led to a significant safety upgrade to the store’s escalators.

    The escalator manufacturer, Thyssen Krupp, said would install a “comb plate safety switch” that automatically shuts down the escalator when something becomes stuck.

    Scarf or hijab?
    Some media outlets are reporting that the woman was wearing a hijab at the time of the accident, although Montreal police said that they can’t officially confirm what kind of scarf was involved in the incident".
    This article says she was wearing hijab, and of course mention of such brought out every hateful racist internet troll in the country

    What an awful way to die

  4. #4
    My granddaughter got a piece of clothing stuck on an escalator in an airport. It was terrifying. An alert airline employee ran and hit the big red button which stopped the escalator. She was fine, but we were all really shaken. I don't know what would have happened had the airline employee not seen it and pushed the button.
    Say-D

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Hejlena View Post


    This article says she was wearing hijab, and of course mention of such brought out every hateful racist internet troll in the country

    What an awful way to die



    http://globalnews.ca/news/1121753/me...c-metro-death/

    "MONTREAL – Naima Rharouity was a 47-year-old mother who lived in Villeray with her two young boys, ages five and seven.

    “She really took care of her kids,” said her niece Soukaina Rharouity. ”They were the centre of her life.”

    Rharouity lost her life in the most horrific way. Her scarf and hair somehow got caught between the moving steps in a metro escalator, strangling her. She was pronounced dead at the scene"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19,876
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...433/story.html

    "MONTREAL - Naima Rharouity died on the Fabre métro escalators last Thursday after suffering a traumatic brain injury, according to a preliminary coroner's report seen by the victim's brother Mohammed.

    Early police statements suggested Rharouity's scarf became entangled in the station's escalators, ultimately strangling the woman to death. But on Wednesday, Mohammed told The Gazette he had received a preliminary report from the Quebec coroner's office indicating Rharouity died from a traumatic brain injury"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,481
    Omfg. This does NOTHING to help my escalator phobia, which is an actual phobia - I will do anything to avoid them, and where I can't, I experience panic attacks. Especially on the really big ones, because I'm scared of heights as well!

    When I was little, my cousin told me to always jump on and off escalators, in case my toes got caught and I was sucked under and turned into mincemeat. He said they had buckets underneath to catch all the kid-bits...

    To this day, I jump on, I jump off. I cope by telling myself, "people don't REALLY get sucked under..."

    _____________
    Everything I have posted at this website, past or present, represents my opinion or my understanding of events based on facts that are publicly available.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    17,673
    Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...433/story.html

    "MONTREAL - Naima Rharouity died on the Fabre métro escalators last Thursday after suffering a traumatic brain injury, according to a preliminary coroner's report seen by the victim's brother Mohammed.

    Early police statements suggested Rharouity's scarf became entangled in the station's escalators, ultimately strangling the woman to death. But on Wednesday, Mohammed told The Gazette he had received a preliminary report from the Quebec coroner's office indicating Rharouity died from a traumatic brain injury"
    Some local news stations reported she tripped and that's how the scarf got caught in the escalator.

    Would that explain the brain injury versus strangulation ?

    When I first heard the news I couldn't figure out how this horrific accident could have happened but then when I heard she tripped and fell causing the scarf to get caught it made more sense.

    Very sad.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 203
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 11:01 AM
  2. Actor Michael Sarrazin, 70, dies in Montreal
    By luckyducky in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 12:12 AM
  3. Yale Student dies when hair gets caught in machinery
    By cluciano63 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM
  4. Father of two dies after sliding off escalator railing
    By Gina_M in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM