1032 users online (222 members and 810 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559

    Your snow doesn't have plastic in it!!

    There is a video at the link that shows the guy doing experiments with the snow and explaining why black marks are left on the snowballs.

    http://wqad.com/2014/01/31/viral-vid...eally-burning/

    Viral Video: ‘Burning snow’ isn’t really burning
    Posted on: 12:02 pm, January 31, 2014, by Shellie Nelson

    Science is debunking rumors flying around online, that claim recently-fallen snow isn’t pure snow.

    The rumors claim the snow contains chemicals or plastic that leave black marks on a snowball, instead of melting it to liquid, when it’s exposed to a flame....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    So is commonsense (in addition to science), on the debunking. 1st of all, snow has VERY low water content so it isn't going to drip and put out a flame nor melt into flowing drop of water. Try it on an ice cube and you'll see black soot on that, too! (thought that will drip, you may even see black drips!)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingHoping View Post
    So is commonsense (in addition to science), on the debunking. 1st of all, snow has VERY low water content so it isn't going to drip and put out a flame nor melt into flowing drop of water. Try it on an ice cube and you'll see black soot on that, too! (thought that will drip, you may even see black drips!)
    That's what the guy says and shows in the video too. I can't believe people think this could be real. I'd never heard this before.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    That's what the guy says and shows in the video too. I can't believe people think this could be real. I'd never heard this before.
    I'm glad he said that, because i didn't watch. I've been defending real snow for days now on FacebookLOL!!!!! I actually misread your post, knew you understood the truth, but thought you'd posted on of the 'fake snow' video's. I will watch now that I see I need to read more carefully!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,247
    http://www.wdbj7.com/weather/why-thi...y/-/index.html

    The comment section is scary. The government are trying to kill everyone using snow. (Like they don't have any number of better things to try if they want to kill everyone.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    17,673
    It's a conspiracy to kill the Canucks.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,437
    Looks like the guy is holding a peeled potato with those tongs, but IDK!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    http://www.wdbj7.com/weather/why-thi...y/-/index.html

    The comment section is scary. The government are trying to kill everyone using snow. (Like they don't have any number of better things to try if they want to kill everyone.)
    If they were, we northerners would be LONG GOOOOOOOONE!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    It's a conspiracy to kill the Canucks.
    Ummmmm..... no, no there's nothing to worry about. Just let yourself catch those snowflakes on your tongue and have open mouthed snowball fights and everything will become clear to you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,247
    I wonder how anybody came up with this. "Oh no, some white stuff is coming down from the sky, I'd better make a ball and try to burn it with a lighter to test if it's real snow or what." I've seen plenty of snow in my time and it's never yet occurred to me that I should try to set it on fire.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    I wonder how anybody came up with this. "Oh no, some white stuff is coming down from the sky, I'd better make a ball and try to burn it with a lighter to test if it's real snow or what." I've seen plenty of snow in my time and it's never yet occurred to me that I should try to set it on fire.
    Probably someone who wanted to watch a snowball melt.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    508
    Well, my life is certainly boring.

    Hubby was telling me how the guys at work were talking about this odd, suspicious, burning snow. (He works in Ohio)

    Here in Michigan, we have 50,534,657,343,092 feet of snow on the ground, give or take lol, with more accumulating right this minute.

    Hubby grabbed some snow from the yard, made a little snow ball and we set it on fire in the kitchen sink.

    It just melted.

    No black marks, no burning plastic smell.

    I wanted to see a weird phenomenon, like the Oakville Blobs (Gelatinous Goo for you Unsolved Mysteries fans) but nope. Just snow. In February. In Michigan.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,557
    If it's on the Internet, it must be true!
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

    We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,670
    maybe someone had their tinfoil on too tight.
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

    stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    Quote Originally Posted by athy View Post
    maybe someone had their tinfoil on too tight.
    JBean?

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyLynnS View Post
    Well, my life is certainly boring.

    Hubby was telling me how the guys at work were talking about this odd, suspicious, burning snow. (He works in Ohio)

    Here in Michigan, we have 50,534,657,343,092 feet of snow on the ground, give or take lol, with more accumulating right this minute.

    Hubby grabbed some snow from the yard, made a little snow ball and we set it on fire in the kitchen sink.

    It just melted.

    No black marks, no burning plastic smell.

    I wanted to see a weird phenomenon, like the Oakville Blobs (Gelatinous Goo for you Unsolved Mysteries fans) but nope. Just snow. In February. In Michigan.
    Did you watch the video?