Your snow doesn't have plastic in it!!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
There is a video at the link that shows the guy doing experiments with the snow and explaining why black marks are left on the snowballs.

http://wqad.com/2014/01/31/viral-video-burning-snow-isnt-really-burning/

Viral Video: ‘Burning snow’ isn’t really burning
Posted on: 12:02 pm, January 31, 2014, by Shellie Nelson

Science is debunking rumors flying around online, that claim recently-fallen snow isn’t pure snow.

The rumors claim the snow contains chemicals or plastic that leave black marks on a snowball, instead of melting it to liquid, when it’s exposed to a flame....

So is commonsense (in addition to science), on the debunking. 1st of all, snow has VERY low water content so it isn't going to drip and put out a flame nor melt into flowing drop of water. Try it on an ice cube and you'll see black soot on that, too! (thought that will drip, you may even see black drips!)

So is commonsense (in addition to science), on the debunking. 1st of all, snow has VERY low water content so it isn't going to drip and put out a flame nor melt into flowing drop of water. Try it on an ice cube and you'll see black soot on that, too! (thought that will drip, you may even see black drips!)

That's what the guy says and shows in the video too. I can't believe people think this could be real. I'd never heard this before.

That's what the guy says and shows in the video too. I can't believe people think this could be real. I'd never heard this before.

I'm glad he said that, because i didn't watch. I've been defending real snow for days now on FacebookLOL!!!!! I actually misread your post, knew you understood the truth, but thought you'd posted on of the 'fake snow' video's. I will watch now that I see I need to read more carefully!

It's a conspiracy to kill the Canucks. :hills:

Looks like the guy is holding a peeled potato with those tongs, but IDK!

It's a conspiracy to kill the Canucks. :hills:

Ummmmm..... no, no there's nothing to worry about. Just let yourself catch those snowflakes on your tongue and have open mouthed snowball fights and everything will become clear to you.

I wonder how anybody came up with this. "Oh no, some white stuff is coming down from the sky, I'd better make a ball and try to burn it with a lighter to test if it's real snow or what." I've seen plenty of snow in my time and it's never yet occurred to me that I should try to set it on fire.

I wonder how anybody came up with this. "Oh no, some white stuff is coming down from the sky, I'd better make a ball and try to burn it with a lighter to test if it's real snow or what." I've seen plenty of snow in my time and it's never yet occurred to me that I should try to set it on fire.

Probably someone who wanted to watch a snowball melt.

Well, my life is certainly boring.

Hubby was telling me how the guys at work were talking about this odd, suspicious, burning snow. (He works in Ohio)

Here in Michigan, we have 50,534,657,343,092 feet of snow on the ground, give or take lol, with more accumulating right this minute.

Hubby grabbed some snow from the yard, made a little snow ball and we set it on fire in the kitchen sink.

It just melted.

No black marks, no burning plastic smell.

I wanted to see a weird phenomenon, like the Oakville Blobs (Gelatinous Goo for you Unsolved Mysteries fans) but nope. Just snow. In February. In Michigan. :(

maybe someone had their tinfoil on too tight.

maybe someone had their tinfoil on too tight.

JBean?

Well, my life is certainly boring.

Hubby was telling me how the guys at work were talking about this odd, suspicious, burning snow. (He works in Ohio)

Here in Michigan, we have 50,534,657,343,092 feet of snow on the ground, give or take lol, with more accumulating right this minute.

Hubby grabbed some snow from the yard, made a little snow ball and we set it on fire in the kitchen sink.

It just melted.

No black marks, no burning plastic smell.

I wanted to see a weird phenomenon, like the Oakville Blobs (Gelatinous Goo for you Unsolved Mysteries fans) but nope. Just snow. In February. In Michigan. :(

Did you watch the video?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back