835 users online (127 members and 708 guests)  

Websleuths News

David Bowie's aunt 104th birthday

She's not a celebrity herself but you may have heard of her nephew, David Bowie. Anyway, Roma Teal celebrated her 104th birthday Friday and that definitely puts her among a rarified few.

She is very sweet, bright and seems very down to earth. Roma lives in Yorkshire though so that's no surprise - they are famous for that, and speaking their minds, in that particular part of England.

She can't recall David being musical at all as a youngster, but thinks their front teeth are similar (or were before David had his 'done'.) I can see those fantastic cheekbones are also a family trait, myself. A very happy birthday to you, Roma.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1097...rthday/?ref=mr
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

I hope David inherits her longevity
    England's dancing days are done...

skibaboo is offline <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.
    I was reading this article yesterday zwiebel. When I was 13 (this would have been 1984) I went out for Sunday lunch with my parents to a carvery at a pub at Stamford Bridge, a village about 10 miles east of York. We went often as it was amazing. You got your food at the counter and they had huge long tables and unless you were in a large group that meant sharing a table with others. On this particular day, we shared a table with a group of people and before long we got talking. They were really nice, then suddenly one of the ladies said my son is David Bowie, you may have heard of him, my jaw dropped of course, of course I had heard of him! I was a fan lol She told us many stories and I went away almost skipping with delight lol. I have told people this story a lot, not many people believed me, why would his Mum be eating in a pub in Yorkshire? etc

Then I came across this story yesterday in the evening press. Roma Teal, David Bowies Aunt, celebrating her 104th Birthday, here in York. And even though she lived in Leeds for many years she then moved to Dunnington and lived there for 34 years! Dunnington is just outside of York, and about 5 miles down the road from Stamford Bridge! BOOM! Believe me now people?

Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

Quote Originally Posted by skibaboo View Post
    I was reading this article yesterday zwiebel. When I was 13 (this would have been 1984) I went out for Sunday lunch with my parents to a carvery at a pub at Stamford Bridge, a village about 10 miles east of York. We went often as it was amazing. You got your food at the counter and they had huge long tables and unless you were in a large group that meant sharing a table with others. On this particular day, we shared a table with a group of people and before long we got talking. They were really nice, then suddenly one of the ladies said my son is David Bowie, you may have heard of him, my jaw dropped of course, of course I had heard of him! I was a fan lol She told us many stories and I went away almost skipping with delight lol. I have told people this story a lot, not many people believed me, why would his Mum be eating in a pub in Yorkshire? etc

Then I came across this story yesterday in the evening press. Roma Teal, David Bowies Aunt, celebrating her 104th Birthday, here in York. And even though she lived in Leeds for many years she then moved to Dunnington and lived there for 34 years! Dunnington is just outside of York, and about 5 miles down the road from Stamford Bridge! BOOM! Believe me now people?
    Fun experience!
    Just My Opinion, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by skibaboo View Post

I would have believed you anyway, without the connection. People tend to make fibs very reasonable, whereas real life isn't like that!

I have a story too, that people doubt, though I swear it's true. Chuck Berry tried to get me to dance with him once. I'm so shy though, I ran away. He was and still is a fantastic dancer and I was far too intimidated. I've always regretted that though.
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

I've also met Darth Vadar, a Dalek and Dr Who. Ran away from all of them, too.

skibaboo is offline <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.
    My Husband would be insanely jealous zwiebel!! I don't blame you for running away, I would have too lol

Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

truly news one can use

Was listening to my friend Steve's weekend music podcast from the left coast here when he suddenly dropped David Bowie and the Lower Third's (first single after the Jones-to-Bowie switchover; from early '66) "Can't Help Thinking About Me" onto the turntable, leaving me wide open to text,

Me: Bowie's aunt just turned 104.

Though perhaps it could not be called a classic non-sequitur, he did manage to text back,

Steve: Relieved to hear that.

Ah, but I was so much younger then,
    I'm older than that now.

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/my-back-pages