741 users online (158 members and 583 guests)  

Websleuths News

Puerto Rico - John, 12, & Giannina Colonna Aponte, 11, Luquillo, 5 May 1974

The Colonna brothers John y Giannina M. Colonna disappeared on May 5th 1978 from Luquillo, Puerto Rico after going to the beach with a neighbor.

The Neighbor who killed himself in Miami City eight months later after the kidnapping, supposedly kidnapped the brothers with the help of a business man in exchange for $72,000 dollars. this detail was left in a suicide letter, however Interpol Puerto Rico hasn't revealed any more details and they have never solved this case. Now, they have warned the Colonna's mother that if she declares them legally dead, the case will be closed and I think she went ahead anyway. They also declared that her husband was not their father even though she has said that he was her first man.

I know this case began in Puerto Rico, but it also involves Miami and could also involve human trafficking. Maybe you guys can help since Interpol never got truly serious with this case.

Even on his deathbed, their dad was suffering not knowing the fate of his children. His wife, (the mother of the children) told him: "If they are dead, you will reunite with them in heaven."

She kept the room just as they left it that fateful day and still lives at the same place.

The details and age progression photos of both kids:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/aponte_john.html
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._giannina.html
    Last edited by Archangel85; 02-03-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Not brothers, brother and sister.

There's some more elaboration on the Charley Ross blog: http://charleyross.wordpress.com/201...onte-children/

So so strange, Interpol clearly had some more info but it's so strange that it was not publicized? If the letter of the Miami man basically explained everything....?

Quote Originally Posted by alllads View Post
    Not brothers, brother and sister.

There's some more elaboration on the Charley Ross blog: http://charleyross.wordpress.com/201...onte-children/

So so strange, Interpol clearly had some more info but it's so strange that it was not publicized? If the letter of the Miami man basically explained everything....?
    English not my first language, thanks for the correction.

The Mother fought a lot with local LE and Interpol about the lack of care they took on this case. The most recent development was that their dad was not their real dad on which the mother told them that was not true. The Miami man was their neighbor here in Puerto Rico, somehow, during the time they went missing, he went to Miami and took his own life.

The case has always received media attention here in Puerto Rico, however Interpol, Puerto Rico's LE, and other agencies, haven't done anything else.

Also, an interesting comment from a Puertorrican lawyer in the comments section:

There was widespread speculation that the children’s father, John Colonna, who passed away in 1982 and was originally from New York, was a retired mobster or related to a mafia family and that the children were abducted and done away with as payback for something or other in the man’s past. Another rumor current at the time was that the next door neighbor who committed suicide supposedly left substantial papers explaining what had happened in detail but that not all the papers were made public by the suspect’s relatives. Anyway, it is a very sad and tragic story; a Puerto Rico newspaper article a few years back quoted the Colonna children’s mother saying that she had left the kids’ rooms exactly like they were on the date of their disappearance, just in case they came back. Makes one think…

It really is strange. I'm assuming maybe the letter wasn't informative? Because if the letter said something like that he had murdered and buried the poor kids, you'd think they would have said it, to make it more clear that there would only be bodies to find. So so strange.

Quote Originally Posted by alllads View Post
    It really is strange. I'm assuming maybe the letter wasn't informative? Because if the letter said something like that he had murdered and buried the poor kids, you'd think they would have said it, to make it more clear that there would only be bodies to find. So so strange.
    I asked my mom who was 25 years old at the time of the case and she told me that as far as she can recall of the media reports was that the letter said: "Forgive me for what I have done"

Their poor mother never moved from the house they lived, she kept the room as they left it that time, and never re-married. She has breast cancer and I hope she can find out what happened to her children before she dies.

Is their mother still alive, and if so can she give DNA? Also, what happened to John's NaMUS page?
    Here's his sister's page: findthemissing.org/cases/4568
    Who was Walker County Jane Doe?

John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread