CVS Pulls Tobacco Products From Its Stores

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
So Long, Cigs: CVS Pulls Tobacco Products From Its Stores

CVS Caremark pharmacies will phase out tobacco in U.S. retail stores by Oct. 1, officials announced Wednesday, saying that selling cigarettes side-by-side with medicine undermines the mission of promoting good health.

The chain will lose about $2 billion in revenues annually from sales of tobacco in its 7,600 stores, but CVS Pharmacy president Helena Foulkes said it just makes sense for a firm now positioning itself as a health care company.

“It was very important to us that, as we’re working with doctors and hospital systems and health plans, that they see us as an extension of their services,” Foulkes said. “It’s virtually impossible to be in the tobacco business when you want to be a health care partner to the health care system.” ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/so-long-cigs-cvs-pulls-tobacco-products-its-stores-n22156

Well, probably a good idea, but as a smoker who sometimes buys cigs at CVS, I'm wondering if they're also gonna pull all the candy and chips they sell? Or what about the various snake-oil "homeopathic" remedies I've seen on their shelves? :waiting:

Well, probably a good idea, but as a smoker who sometimes buys cigs at CVS, I'm wondering if they're also gonna pull all the candy and chips they sell? Or what about the various snake-oil "homeopathic" remedies I've seen on their shelves? :waiting:

Many CVS stores also sell beer and wine- and some even have liquor. Are they going to pull these items too?

You guys have good points.

Mine is get rid of all the junk stuff, all sorts of crazy stuff in there that is not Drug Store related, and actually stock Drug Store items. Can't tell you how many times I have gone there for something like alcohol pads, or some Drug Store item, only to find that the store mostly stocks household, gardening, and television goods. I end up having to drive to WalMart for whatever the actual Drug Store item was, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. (And they have greatly inflated their prices on everything in the last year, so I just skip the healthy walk and drive somewhere else.)

I wonder what will happen to the $$$$$ when we all STOP smoking (look at all the "taxes" smokers pay for)...I guess they'll go after sugar next, then salt?? Then meat?? Oh, wait - they'll just raise taxes, by calling it a tax, instead of "taxing" STUFF....

You know I have wondered for a bit about the (drugstore chains)still selling cigs. I guess it was the mid/late eighties that a big company I worked for stopped allowing us to smoke anywhere in the building,( designated areas only) That lasted for a couple years then it was/is no smoking on company property. (my friend calls me from her car in the parking lot while smoking) I will say that at that time I smoked and I loved to smoke. I had a boyfriend years ago tell me that I was the only woman that made smoking look sexy. Then slowly lots of other places started having no smoking areas and bars then began to stop smoking. The walmart/grocery store where I live starting having the smoking products at the end register.express lane. So with that said I am surprised that drugstores that cater to selling you medicine to make you better would still be selling smoking products. Just surprised it took them this long.

I have since quit smoking, 4 years next month.

Why would anyone buy cigs at CVS or any drugstore when they are cheaper at a smoke shop? And many things sold at CVS and other drugstores, same brands are much cheaper at Family Dollar or Walmart ( ie hair color, ambolsol, make-up etc etc...). The only things I get at CVS is my meds. and flu shot and holiday candy the day after the holiday for 50% off.:twocents:

Why would anyone buy cigs at CVS or any drugstore when they are cheaper at a smoke shop? And many things sold at CVS and other drugstores, same brands are much cheaper at Family Dollar or Walmart ( ie hair color, ambolsol, make-up etc etc...). The only things I get at CVS is my meds. and flu shot and holiday candy the day after the holiday for 50% off.:twocents:

The price is comparable. The smoke shops near me have no better prices than any other place.

Too bad for CVS as far as I'm concerned, I will merely turn my car right instead of left and take my money over to Rite-Aid. Along with cig sales, they lose the "incidentals" sales from smokers---I know I will routinely pick up $20 or so of other items along with my cigarettes. I buy about 2 packs a week, but those other purchases add up.

I got (in CA) our cigs at Walgreens - cheaper than even Sam's Club or the local 7-11...But I heard (through the grapevine) that CVS is/has become/ing the Obamacare pharmacy...JMO

I got (in CA) our cigs at Walgreens - cheaper than even Sam's Club or the local 7-11...But I heard (through the grapevine) that CVS is/has become/ing the Obamacare pharmacy...JMO

Ah, that makes this move make more sense. Well, they may stop selling a few other things too in that case. Maybe they will start selling actual items ones expects now, lol.

The one in my neighborhood may not last long though. It seems to be the local beer, wine, cigarette stopping point. Of course a few for the pharmacy prescriptions, but line at the register is beer, wine, and cigs.

Maybe they will just stop being a "store" and just become a pharmacy and no other items? Who knows? But if you want "As Seen On TV" stuff, check there first, haha.

It's their right to sell what they please and refuse to sell any product, but in the process they are really making a lot of people really aggravated with them and refusing to deal with them any longer. So their loss in sales may not just be the reduced sales of cigarettes but the reduced customer base in general.

When i go to CVS is is just to get cigarettes and will pick up other things I see that i like or are on sale. So if I spend $5 on cigareetes, I spend $50 or more on other items. However, with no cigarettes to motivate me to go there, then I will skip them and talk my business elsewhere to a place that sells it all.

Somewhat OT but...

CVS is in the process of becoming a bit much with their policies about what they sell and are being criticized for being too judgmental. They are already under fire for their new controversial policies on pain medications. I can understand that they are being more diligent because they were fined massively for being way to lax. But they have gone wayyy overboard.

Patients prescribed pain meds report that CVS will take days to fill the meds while they run the prescription thru a screening that includes these questions:

Whether the patient has previously received the same medication from Walgreens (new prescription or new patient is a red flag)

Whether the prescription is written for the same medication and from the same doctor as the previous fill (new doctor is possible red flag)

Whether the patient and doctor listed on the prescription are within close geographical proximity to the drug store (far distances that cannot be explained are a red flag)

Whether the prescription is being filled on time (attempt to fill early is a red flag)

Whether the patient is paying for the prescription using insurance (cash is a red flag)

Whether the quantity of pills prescribed is considered excessive (more than 120 pills is a red flag if paying by insurance; more than 60 pills is a red flag if paying cash)

Whether the patient has been taking the same medication and dosage for a long time (more than 6 months is a red flag)

One "red flag" is enough that they will hold your prescription, refuse to give it back, refuse to fill it and report you to whoever they report people to. You will also be flagged at other CVS locations.

I have always hated CVS, lol... the stores here seem old and dingy.

and you all have said what I came to say... What about alcohol and sugar?

Will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and if it helps or hurts their business.

I bit my cigg's there and and pick up whatever other things that is may need. If they not selling cigg's then I guess I'll go somewhere else. I'm sure a lot of customers will be doing the same.

Also about the pain rx filling. I dropped off an rx to fill for pain meds it was wrote for 16. I had to wait 24 hours to pick up cause it was verifying????
My was for a minor surgery and I never fill for pain meds. Ended up only needing 1 pill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I left CVS when they started carding for nail polish remover purchases. I'm sorry there are a few who do wrong with it, but if I don't want to get out of the car or I want to do something and send my kids in there to grab nail polish I want to … I don't want to have to go show my ID.

As for cigarettes, step one or 3 in this whole idea of now retail is going to control people's choices? No, not the way to go about it. I also cannot stand their pharmacy, nothing personal about it, I have trouble EVERY SINGLE TIME I go in there.

Point on the cigarette thing though, what's next? Soda? Condoms? and it is a drugstore, nicotine is a drug, JUST SAYIN ;)

Oh, and I just remembered. My insurance company pays a ton of money to CVS for my monthly prescriptions (no pain meds) and I'll be pulling those also. I'm sure Rite Aid will be happy to fill them for me.

I don't think they've yet realized the peripheral income they'll be losing.

I don't drink, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone being able to buy all manner of beer and wine at CVS. They have dozens of brands of wine on the shelves there, I was going down the aisle and actually was impressed at the selection.

I have caremark for my rx's Most I do at my local pharmacy and they match Caremark or better. There is one rx for kids I have to get at CVS, it is a huge hassle every single time and they don't bother to call. I've refilled there for over a year x2. I call or drop off a paper rx, go to pick up and they never bothered to call so I get to checkout and they say $782 UM HELLOOOOOO Now those are the good days, because it means they filled the rx, typically it takes 3-5 days so I have to call early, thing is if I call early it gets declined and no matter what notes I ask them to put onto the rx or into the computer they never call to say it wasn't covered. I've had to go back and forth 5-6 times sometimes and I live 30 minutes away without any traffic or weather. ARGH! If it didn't cost this much, I'd fill it locally and just pay out of pocket.

I'm not against the idea. I'm also not against the idea of not selling alcahol, and junky food and drinks. (Although, I've never seen alcahol in a CVS! We aren't dry here, but they don't sell it.)

I honestly had no idea so many people still smoked! Smoking is banned here. You pretty much can't smoke anywhere but your house and in public outdoor places. (You can't even smoke in restaurants and bars that have outdoor areas.) You can't smoke within a certain proximity to the openings of places. I can't remember the last time I actually saw someone smoke. This is going to sound so incredibly naive, but is there really a huge population of people who still smoke? Knowing what it does to you? I guess that doesn't stop anyone with an addiction, really. I am just surprised by the backlash.

By taking a stance for health and against death, CVS has sent a wholesome precedent.

They have also earned my business for life!!!

"Tobacco is more addicting than heroin."- Dr. C. Everett Koop, speaking as Surgeon General of the USA

In Ontario they don't sell cigarettes in drug stores. AFAIK they only sell them at Smoke Shops on the reserve or in convenience stores. I don't think it is that big a deal. When we first imposed bans on smoking in bars/restaurants/public places people freaked out. But, now everyone is used to it and it isn't a big deal....neither will this be a few months from now.

It's their right to sell what they please and refuse to sell any product, but in the process they are really making a lot of people really aggravated with them and refusing to deal with them any longer. So their loss in sales may not just be the reduced sales of cigarettes but the reduced customer base in general.

When i go to CVS is is just to get cigarettes and will pick up other things I see that i like or are on sale. So if I spend $5 on cigareetes, I spend $50 or more on other items. However, with no cigarettes to motivate me to go there, then I will skip them and talk my business elsewhere to a place that sells it all.

Somewhat OT but...

CVS is in the process of becoming a bit much with their policies about what they sell and are being criticized for being too judgmental. They are already under fire for their new controversial policies on pain medications. I can understand that they are being more diligent because they were fined massively for being way to lax. But they have gone wayyy overboard.

Patients prescribed pain meds report that CVS will take days to fill the meds while they run the prescription thru a screening that includes these questions:

Whether the patient has previously received the same medication from Walgreens (new prescription or new patient is a red flag)

Whether the prescription is written for the same medication and from the same doctor as the previous fill (new doctor is possible red flag)

Whether the patient and doctor listed on the prescription are within close geographical proximity to the drug store (far distances that cannot be explained are a red flag)

Whether the prescription is being filled on time (attempt to fill early is a red flag)

Whether the patient is paying for the prescription using insurance (cash is a red flag)

Whether the quantity of pills prescribed is considered excessive (more than 120 pills is a red flag if paying by insurance; more than 60 pills is a red flag if paying cash)

Whether the patient has been taking the same medication and dosage for a long time (more than 6 months is a red flag)

One "red flag" is enough that they will hold your prescription, refuse to give it back, refuse to fill it and report you to whoever they report people to. You will also be flagged at other CVS locations.

In Dec. I got 2 different script for pain pills, 1 from my reg. doc, 1 from dentist( different kind and amount) no problem filling them. They don't even ask me for my lisence half the time.

A few months ago we lost our power and CVS( it's 2 blocks away) for 24 hrs, transformer blew. CVS couldn't bother to invest in a back up generater, guess it finanially easier to hit up the insurance for loss of sells and any loss of refridgerated items. And screw the people who needed their scripts. And they don't sell winning Lotto tickets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back