836 users online (109 members and 727 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7
    Cappucino: "No, I want to be factual."

    Well, that's difficult in a thread talking about a hypothetical extradition of a person whose guilty verdict still needs to be confirmed.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,350
    Not really. The US hasn't asked for Assange's extradition and Russia is pursuing an agenda all of its own which will not be affected by Amanda Knox. Those are the facts as they stand.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
    Not really. The US hasn't asked for Assange's extradition and Russia is pursuing an agenda all of its own which will not be affected by Amanda Knox. Those are the facts as they stand.
    And neither has Italy asked for Knox's extradition. So, as I said, all discussion here is hypothetical. Another fact.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    I think what the supporters of the [modsnip] Italian clique fear the most is that impartial and rational eyes will take a close look at this outrageous fabricated case.

    This moment will come sooner or later. Nencini will have to write some explanation and the free media will tear it apart.
    If the Italians ask for extradition their farce of a case will get into spot light once again - the satanic rituals, the sex games, the mortal fights over feces in the loo. The ugly will get some air time, too - the multiple lies of the cops and prosecutors, destroying of evidence, coercive and illegal interrogations, withholding exculpatory evidence, Stefanoni lying repeatedly in the courtroom, evidence conjured out of thin air after the arrests, evidence that conveniently get destroyed preventing any independent testing.
    Considering that the US actually works in conjunction with the Italian courts in some cases I wonder how they will handle this arrest.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/11...cmp=latestnews

    Will the Senator that is monitoring AK's case suggest that none of these seven be tried in Italy's [modsnip] courts?
    Last edited by Salem; 02-12-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Please don't disparage other countries.
    All posts are my opinion only unless otherwise stated.
    Thanks!!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161



    This thread is for discussing the extradition process. Not rehashing the evidence. Stay on Topic, please.

    Salem

  6. #36
    BritsKate's Avatar
    BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    American Expat living in England
    Posts
    5,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    I think what the supporters of the [modsnip] Italian clique fear the most is that impartial and rational eyes will take a close look at this outrageous fabricated case.

    This moment will come sooner or later. Nencini will have to write some explanation and the free media will tear it apart.
    If the Italians ask for extradition their farce of a case will get into spot light once again - the satanic rituals, the sex games, the mortal fights over feces in the loo. The ugly will get some air time, too - the multiple lies of the cops and prosecutors, destroying of evidence, coercive and illegal interrogations, withholding exculpatory evidence, Stefanoni lying repeatedly in the courtroom, evidence conjured out of thin air after the arrests, evidence that conveniently get destroyed preventing any independent testing.
    In terms of extradition the ONLY thing that needs to be proven to US authorities is reasonable proof an extraditable crime has been committed by the party in question. A conviction affirmed by the highest court in Italy is enough, in and of itself.

    The American media is sure to rail on about corruption and injustice, if its anything like it was when I lived there, but both governments will likely simply follow the black and white of the treaties. Like most other countries, Italy has its own set of checks and balances responsible for their law enforcement, judiciary, criminal procedure, etc. Further, Italy also has the EU courts to remedy matters should the need arise (as in human rights violations, freedom of movement, taxation, etc.) Just as a European government would likely not intercede in America's criminal justice system, it too is unlikely America will for Amanda Knox, in my opinion. (The death penalty, of course, is a separate issue and was included in the extradition treaty between Italy and America.)

    An easy way to describe the difference in courts is this: Cassation is a lot like the Supreme Court of a state while EU courts are similar to SCOTUS - they hear mainly cases dealing with Union law and are unlikely to overturn a national verdict unless seriously egregious errors were committed (like Miranda v. Arizona).

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27,184
    It seems that Ted Simon has managed to create confusion around extradition, going so far as to give the impression that there will be a new trial where the evidence will be re-evaluated by a US court. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post
    In terms of extradition the ONLY thing that needs to be proven to US authorities is reasonable proof an extraditable crime has been committed by the party in question. A conviction affirmed by the highest court in Italy is enough, in and of itself.

    The American media is sure to rail on about corruption and injustice, if its anything like it was when I lived there, but both governments will likely simply follow the black and white of the treaties. Like most other countries, Italy has its own set of checks and balances responsible for their law enforcement, judiciary, criminal procedure, etc. Further, Italy also has the EU courts to remedy matters should the need arise (as in human rights violations, freedom of movement, taxation, etc.) Just as a European government would likely not intercede in America's criminal justice system, it too is unlikely America will for Amanda Knox, in my opinion. (The death penalty, of course, is a separate issue and was included in the extradition treaty between Italy and America.)

    An easy way to describe the difference in courts is this: Cassation is a lot like the Supreme Court of a state while EU courts are similar to SCOTUS - they hear mainly cases dealing with Union law and are unlikely to overturn a national verdict unless seriously egregious errors were committed (like Miranda v. Arizona).
    Thanks BritsKate your posts are always well written and very informative!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3


Similar Threads

  1. 2015.09.09 Extradition of CWW from MO to FL
    By lauriej in forum Dr. Teresa Sievers
    Replies: 317
    Last Post: 10-15-2015, 05:25 PM
  2. The Extradition
    By Chorley8 in forum Luka Rocco Magnotta AKA Eric Newman
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
  3. Extradition for Camera man
    By bakerprune64 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Tags for this Thread