1062 users online (233 members and 829 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TN - Alexa Linboom, 5, dies of fluid intoxication, Surgoinsville, 1 Jan 2012

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local...death/5255231/

A father and step-mother, facing murder charges for the death of their 5-year-old daughter, made their first court appearance Friday morning.

Randall Lee Vaughn, 41, and Mary Lavonne Vaughn, 58, are accused of forcing their daughter, Alex Linboom, to drink gallons of grape soda and water as a punishment in January 2012. The couple later brought the child to the Hawkins County Memorial Hospital after she was unresponsive. Crews then flew the 5-year-old to Niswonder Children's Hospital in Johnson City, where she died two days later.

Tenn girl, 5, dies from being forced to drink soda

http://centurylink.net/news/read/cat...s_from_drin-ap

SURGIONSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — An East Tennessee couple faces a murder charge, accused of forcing the man's 5-year-old daughter to drink more than 2 liters of grape soda and water, causing her brain to swell and rupture, authorities said.

According to the Hawkins County Sheriff's Office and the autopsy report, Alexa Linboom was brought in to the emergency room on Jan. 1, 2012, by her father, Randall Vaughn, and his wife, Mary Vaughn.

The girl was blue and unresponsive with "an abnormal body posture that indicates severe brain damage," according to the autopsy, which was completed in July 2013.

The Vaughns were arrested on Wednesday and were being held at the Hawkins County Jail on a $500,000 bond each. Officials did not know whether the Vaughns had hired an attorney. Their arraignment was scheduled for Friday morning......more.....

I wonder why there was over a year between her death and the autopsy, but am glad these 2 were finally charged with little Alexa's murder.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Trial Set in Case of Girl Forced to Drink Soda
    ROGERSVILLE, Tenn. February 6, 2014 (AP)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...-soda-22396061

An East Tennessee couple accused of killing the man's 5-year-old daughter by forcing her to drink large quantities of grape soda and water will face trial in October.

Randall and Mary Vaughn were arraigned in Hawkins County on Friday. According to the court clerk's office, the judge ordered that Mary Vaughn be represented by a public defender. Randall Vaughn will seek a private attorney. The couple did not enter a plea.........

It took over 1.5 years for an autopsy?
    Did they not think the death was suspicious...and then something happened to make them want to re-open the case? Or was it not a priority?

wth??
    Northern Colorado Shootings / Incidents Lists & Time Table / Detailed Spreadsheet by Forager:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ew?pli=1#gid=0

Northern Colorado Shootings Case Map:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...o.kzPJOvnNDQio

NoCo / Thread 1 / Possible Serial Shooter has Colorado Drivers on Edge / WHO KILLED JACOBY AND CONNOLE?

This breaks my heart.
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

I wish every painful ache and disease on these pos nonhumans while they're alive. Eternal suffering after that.

FL-5 year old died - parents charged

OMG! I agree with you. What is wrong with people? Who does that? 2 liters?!

An East Tennessee couple faces a murder charge, accused of forcing the man's 5-year-old daughter to drink more than 2 liters of grape soda and water, causing her brain to swell and rupture, authorities said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/na...c7HuWcQyoyX.99

Absolutely disgusting and sickens me. Such a beautiful child too. Heartbreaking!

Oh how incredibly sad. And a cause of death so long because...?

As I understand it, the autopsy was begun right away, but the final stuff wasn't in yet to declare the autopsy complete. It sounds like maybe tox tests or other things were waiting in the lab to be complete before being added to the initial physical autopsy?

On a somewhat related note, I'm always surprised that people don't know that drinking too much fluid is deadly. As horrid as these parents were, I don't think they intended to kill this child.

You see people say all the time that you can't get enough water, pregnant women should drink untold numbers of liter water bottles a day, etc.

Too much fluid is deadly. I had a grand mal seizure several years back from drinking 3/4 of a gallon of water in a half hour to stave off a migraine. I could have died, actually.

Sad sad story.

For those who are trying to google this, the media has the town spelled wrong - correct spelling is Surgoinsville.

How could they force a child to drink and retain (not vomit) 2 L plus of liquid ?

Grape Soda would be carbonated, no ? A few cups in quick succession and I would be heading for the nearest toilet.

Was it hot out and they were worried about her becoming dehydrated ? Was she suffering some sort of gastrointestinal issue and they were trying to compensate for fluid loss ?

A child consumes too much liquid too quickly. Brain cells swell, causing cerebral edema. Increased intracranial mass impedes blood flow to the brain, leading to seizures, coma, and possible brain death. The brain does not 'rupture' (as far as I know).

Media states that the child was being punished. For what ?
    Unverified Mental Health Professional

Quote Originally Posted by craftybatchy View Post
    How could they force a child to drink and retain (not vomit) 2 L plus of liquid ?

Grape Soda would be carbonated, no ? A few cups in quick succession and I would be heading for the nearest toilet.

Was it hot out and they were worried about her becoming dehydrated ? Was she suffering some sort of gastrointestinal issue and they were trying to compensate for fluid loss ?

A child consumes too much liquid too quickly. Brain cells swell, causing cerebral edema. Increased intracranial mass impedes blood flow to the brain, leading to seizures, coma, and possible brain death. The brain does not 'rupture' (as far as I know).

Media states that the child was being punished. For what ?
    Taking two cans of grape soda.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast