GUILTY TN - Alexa Linboom, 5, dies of fluid intoxication, Surgoinsville, 1 Jan 2012

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/loca...d-in-childs-water-intoxication-death/5255231/

A father and step-mother, facing murder charges for the death of their 5-year-old daughter, made their first court appearance Friday morning.

Randall Lee Vaughn, 41, and Mary Lavonne Vaughn, 58, are accused of forcing their daughter, Alex Linboom, to drink gallons of grape soda and water as a punishment in January 2012. The couple later brought the child to the Hawkins County Memorial Hospital after she was unresponsive. Crews then flew the 5-year-old to Niswonder Children's Hospital in Johnson City, where she died two days later.

1391704297000-AlexaLinboom-Death.jpg

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-couple_charged_after_girl_dies_from_drin-ap

SURGIONSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — An East Tennessee couple faces a murder charge, accused of forcing the man's 5-year-old daughter to drink more than 2 liters of grape soda and water, causing her brain to swell and rupture, authorities said.

According to the Hawkins County Sheriff's Office and the autopsy report, Alexa Linboom was brought in to the emergency room on Jan. 1, 2012, by her father, Randall Vaughn, and his wife, Mary Vaughn.

The girl was blue and unresponsive with "an abnormal body posture that indicates severe brain damage," according to the autopsy, which was completed in July 2013.

The Vaughns were arrested on Wednesday and were being held at the Hawkins County Jail on a $500,000 bond each. Officials did not know whether the Vaughns had hired an attorney. Their arraignment was scheduled for Friday morning......more.....

I wonder why there was over a year between her death and the autopsy, but am glad these 2 were finally charged with little Alexa's murder.

Trial Set in Case of Girl Forced to Drink Soda
ROGERSVILLE, Tenn. February 6, 2014 (AP)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/couple-charged-girl-dies-drinking-soda-22396061

An East Tennessee couple accused of killing the man's 5-year-old daughter by forcing her to drink large quantities of grape soda and water will face trial in October.

Randall and Mary Vaughn were arraigned in Hawkins County on Friday. According to the court clerk's office, the judge ordered that Mary Vaughn be represented by a public defender. Randall Vaughn will seek a private attorney. The couple did not enter a plea.........

It took over 1.5 years for an autopsy?
Did they not think the death was suspicious...and then something happened to make them want to re-open the case? Or was it not a priority?

I wish every painful ache and disease on these nonhumans while they're alive. Eternal suffering after that.

Absolutely disgusting and sickens me. Such a beautiful child too. Heartbreaking!

Oh how incredibly sad. And a cause of death so long because...?

As I understand it, the autopsy was begun right away, but the final stuff wasn't in yet to declare the autopsy complete. It sounds like maybe tox tests or other things were waiting in the lab to be complete before being added to the initial physical autopsy?

On a somewhat related note, I'm always surprised that people don't know that drinking too much fluid is deadly. As horrid as these parents were, I don't think they intended to kill this child.

You see people say all the time that you can't get enough water, pregnant women should drink untold numbers of liter water bottles a day, etc.

Too much fluid is deadly. I had a grand mal seizure several years back from drinking 3/4 of a gallon of water in a half hour to stave off a migraine. I could have died, actually.

Sad sad story.

For those who are trying to google this, the media has the town spelled wrong - correct spelling is Surgoinsville.

How could they force a child to drink and retain (not vomit) 2 L plus of liquid ?

Grape Soda would be carbonated, no ? A few cups in quick succession and I would be heading for the nearest toilet.

Was it hot out and they were worried about her becoming dehydrated ? Was she suffering some sort of gastrointestinal issue and they were trying to compensate for fluid loss ?

A child consumes too much liquid too quickly. Brain cells swell, causing cerebral edema. Increased intracranial mass impedes blood flow to the brain, leading to seizures, coma, and possible brain death. The brain does not 'rupture' (as far as I know).

Media states that the child was being punished. For what ?

How could they force a child to drink and retain (not vomit) 2 L plus of liquid ?

Grape Soda would be carbonated, no ? A few cups in quick succession and I would be heading for the nearest toilet.

Was it hot out and they were worried about her becoming dehydrated ? Was she suffering some sort of gastrointestinal issue and they were trying to compensate for fluid loss ?

A child consumes too much liquid too quickly. Brain cells swell, causing cerebral edema. Increased intracranial mass impedes blood flow to the brain, leading to seizures, coma, and possible brain death. The brain does not 'rupture' (as far as I know).

Media states that the child was being punished. For what ?

Taking two cans of grape soda.

CNN link:

Parents killed girl by making her drink too much grape soda, water, authorities say
By Faith Karimi, CNN
updated 12:09 PM EST, Sat February 8, 2014

Snipped:

Alexa Linboom was forced to guzzle the fluids after she took "one or two grape drinks" that belonged to her stepmother, District Attorney Berkley Bell told CNN affiliate WJHL.

"She was allegedly force-fed so much liquid that it caused the sodium level in her body to go down and caused her brain to swell," he said.

In addition to drinking more than 2 liters of fluids in about two hours, she also suffered other forms of punishment, Bell told the affiliate. He did not get into specifics.

:furious:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/justice/tennessee-girl-soda-death/

As I understand it, the autopsy was begun right away, but the final stuff wasn't in yet to declare the autopsy complete. It sounds like maybe tox tests or other things were waiting in the lab to be complete before being added to the initial physical autopsy?

On a somewhat related note, I'm always surprised that people don't know that drinking too much fluid is deadly. As horrid as these parents were, I don't think they intended to kill this child.

You see people say all the time that you can't get enough water, pregnant women should drink untold numbers of liter water bottles a day, etc.

Too much fluid is deadly. I had a grand mal seizure several years back from drinking 3/4 of a gallon of water in a half hour to stave off a migraine. I could have died, actually.

Sad sad story.

I think it's safe to say that these people were so damn reckless in their abuse of her that her life was unimportant. Hurting her was all that mattered.

I'm sure this child suffered from escalating abuse for some time. She was abused in other ways they declined to state. This case reminds me of Lisa Steinberg.

I think it's safe to say that these people were so damn reckless in their abuse of her that her life was unimportant. Hurting her was all that mattered.

I'm sure this child suffered from escalating abuse for some time. She was abused in other ways they declined to state. This case reminds me of Lisa Steinberg.

Well, I think the intent was clearly to torture her - but they did take her to the emergency room when it became obvious she was dying.

My guess is, during the trial, it will come out that the stepmother had the larger role in torturing her. Just kind of reading between the lines.

Sad sad story.

A woman in California died a few years ago in a radio contest, "Hold your Wee for a Wii." or something like that.

A woman in California died a few years ago in a radio contest, "Hold your Wee for a Wii." or something like that.

I remember that. And people were calling in warning them strongly that they were putting people's lives at risk with this contest and they just laughed.

It just seems few people know this. Although these wretched parents caused this dear girls death, hopefully the tiny silver lining here is that some people will become aware that drinking fluids in excess can cause death.

There are certainly messages out there, that before you do a bikeathon or marathon, you should pound fluids. No, you shouldn't. You should drink along the way, as thirst dictates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back