1045 users online (199 members and 846 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 98
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    New post on Raffaele on Knox blog:

    Raffaele is not a slave




    http://www.amandaknox.com/2014/02/11...s-not-a-slave/

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.C., USA
    Posts
    3,252
    I think the two are going to regret these pictures hoping to show them as victims... from the looks of things on Twitter AK probably already is. What a disaster IMO. People go nuts with photoshop.

    It is too late after this verdict to try to use that card IMO.

    The Seeker / Sports Freak /

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.C., USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Does a history of staging a fake break in wearing ski-mask to scare your roommate count too?

    Does a history of carrying combat-style knives, animal-porn, violent comics and drug use count too?

    Past history is a two-way street IMO.
    The Seeker / Sports Freak /

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
    Does a history of staging a fake break in wearing ski-mask to scare your roommate count too?
    It probably would if it was true. There is no mention of ski masks in the case file.

    The best the prosecution could do was a ticket for noise violation back in Seattle.

    You see the difference is that Guede's burglary history is evidenced in courtroom testimony and police documentation while what you're basing your opinion on is just lies propagated anonymously over the internet.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,073
    The outrageous injustice of Nencini's verdict is noticed. People recognize it is wrongful conviction.

    Steve Drizin, clinical law professor, Northwestern University School of Law and Hannah Riley, a communications associate at the Innocence Project write in the Huffington Post:

    Knox and Sollecito: Victims of a Prosecutor's 'Conspiracy Theories' to Explain Away DNA

    Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are innocent of Meredith Kercher's murder. Rudy Guede sexually assaulted and killed Kercher after she came upon him burglarizing the house she shared with Knox and two other young women.

    In the annals of false confessions, there are only two other cases that rival the Knox case: the Billy Wayne Cope case and the Norfolk Four case. These three are the only rape-murder cases in which prosecutors continued to pursue convictions against an original suspect who "confessed" even after DNA testing conducted before trial matched to a different person who had little or no connection to the original suspects.


    The whole article is very eye opening and informative, coming from real experts.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    The outrageous injustice of Nencini's verdict is noticed. People recognize it is wrongful conviction.

    Steve Drizin, clinical law professor, Northwestern University School of Law and Hannah Riley, a communications associate at the Innocence Project write in the Huffington Post:

    Knox and Sollecito: Victims of a Prosecutor's 'Conspiracy Theories' to Explain Away DNA

    Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are innocent of Meredith Kercher's murder. Rudy Guede sexually assaulted and killed Kercher after she came upon him burglarizing the house she shared with Knox and two other young women.

    In the annals of false confessions, there are only two other cases that rival the Knox case: the Billy Wayne Cope case and the Norfolk Four case. These three are the only rape-murder cases in which prosecutors continued to pursue convictions against an original suspect who "confessed" even after DNA testing conducted before trial matched to a different person who had little or no connection to the original suspects.


    The whole article is very eye opening and informative, coming from real experts.
    Italian experts that have reviewed the court document, or people in foreign countries seeking their 15 minutes of fame by attaching themselves to the murder of Meredith Kercher?

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    The outrageous injustice of Nencini's verdict is noticed. People recognize it is wrongful conviction.

    Steve Drizin, clinical law professor, Northwestern University School of Law and Hannah Riley, a communications associate at the Innocence Project write in the Huffington Post:

    Knox and Sollecito: Victims of a Prosecutor's 'Conspiracy Theories' to Explain Away DNA

    Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are innocent of Meredith Kercher's murder. Rudy Guede sexually assaulted and killed Kercher after she came upon him burglarizing the house she shared with Knox and two other young women.

    In the annals of false confessions, there are only two other cases that rival the Knox case: the Billy Wayne Cope case and the Norfolk Four case. These three are the only rape-murder cases in which prosecutors continued to pursue convictions against an original suspect who "confessed" even after DNA testing conducted before trial matched to a different person who had little or no connection to the original suspects.


    The whole article is very eye opening and informative, coming from real experts.
    This part does give one stern pause, as it mirrors the Guede/Knox-Sollecito narrative:

    Time will tell where this all lands. .....There is cause for some reflection....

    Cope confessed to murdering and sexually assaulting his 12-year-old daughter in her bed in Rock Hill, South Carolina in November, 2001. Nine months after his arrest, DNA testing of semen and saliva found on Cope's daughter matched to James Sanders, a recently released North Carolina inmate who, upon his release, went on a crime spree in which he sexually assaulted or attempted to rape four other women in Rock Hill. Sanders's modus operandi was always the same -- he always broke into homes at night without leaving signs of forced entry and he never worked with an accomplice.

    The DNA match did not deter prosecutors. They pressed on, arguing to the jury that the two men "must have met" and persuaded the jury to convict both men on the theory that Cope "served up his daughter for his and ... Sanders's own perverse pleasures" -- even though Cope never mentioned Sanders in his confessions.

  8. #53
    BritsKate's Avatar
    BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    American Expat living in England
    Posts
    5,906
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    Italian experts that have reviewed the court document, or people in foreign countries seeking their 15 minutes of fame by attaching themselves to the murder of Meredith Kercher?
    And that would be my question as well....there seems to be an abundance of confusion, even by US legal experts, over how both the Italian and EU courts work. And when not confusion, outright dishonesty over possible conclusions to this case - such as an appeal to the EU court.

    JMO

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK View Post
    This part does give one stern pause, as it mirrors the Guede/Knox-Sollecito narrative:

    Time will tell where this all lands. .....There is cause for some reflection....
    Recently freed David Camm's case was quite similar in this aspect, too.

    More from the article:

    Some, like Professor Alan Dershowitz, have suggested that Knox must be guilty because she implicated an innocent man -- Lumumba -- when she "confessed" to the authorities. But in the annals of false confessions, innocent false confessors frequently implicate other innocents. Just ask Chris Ochoa, a Texas high school honor student who named his best friend William Danziger as his accomplice in the rape and murder of a young woman in Texas. Ochoa even testified against Danziger at Danziger's trial. Both of them spent more than a decade in prison before DNA evidence proved that a rapist and killer named Achim Marino committed the crime. The fact that Ochoa caved into police pressure and named his best friend does not make him any less innocent, or Marino any less guilty. The Beatrice Six, the Central Park Five, the Dixmoor Five, the Englewood Four, and the Norfolk Four are other cases in which multiple defendants falsely implicated other innocent men and women in their own false confessions.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    Recently freed David Camm's case was quite similar in this aspect, too.

    More from the article:
    Thank you for that information.

    I have been strongly open to the guilt of Knox and Sollecito (because of various questions, holes in their story, and indicators which point in that direction) but I do understand that there are many people who are convinced that a real mistake has been made. I am the type of person who does not ignore any information set before me, and I always try to look at both sides because I don't believe anything is gained by adhering to tunnel vision.

    When information from previous cases seems to mirror certain aspects of this case, I feel it is valuable to stop and examine it - and I always was troubled by the fact that when police tapped their phones in the first days, Knox and Sollecito never said anything about Guede to eachother.

    That said, I am eager to see the details of the reasoning of the Nencini court, and what the Supreme Court of Cassation makes of appeal requests (which would appear to be based only on procedural questions at this juncture). There have been one or two cases in which a female and 2 males were convicted of a young woman's murder ( I am thinking specifically about a US case which had something to do with a car but cannot recall the names. Presently there is a similar case involving the murder of a VA Tech student.)


  11. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    Just wondering about the Supreme Court:

    So after we get through Nencini's motivations report (by May 1?) and then when it is time for the Supreme Court to look at appeals (which can now be based only on procedural errors, and not evidence?) (which is supposed to be a one day process), this verdict (outside of these considerations) will be permanent (assuming it will stand) and the the extradition request would be its natural consequence.

    Any idea what month the SCC would determine, and is there anything I am missing?

    ETA: As I've said elsewhere, if the SCC does not see any point in rushing the process (even though the 2 convicted are clear flight risks) then I would expect both to flee (with full pro-innocence and media support) prior to any extradition process being set in motion.
    Last edited by SMK; 02-13-2014 at 04:24 PM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,073
    More intelligent insight sparked by Nencini's verdict on Salon:

    Amanda Knox, what really happened: Writing toward the actual story

    by Katie Crouch.

    Author provides a rational and fact based reconstruction of the events of the terrible night.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Katody View Post
    More intelligent insight sparked by Nencini's verdict on Salon:

    Amanda Knox, what really happened: Writing toward the actual story

    by Katie Crouch.

    Author provides a rational and fact based reconstruction of the events of the terrible night.
    I read the piece. It is well written, and I can understand and respect her writing a narrative which leads seamlessly to Rudy Guede as a lone wolf killer.

    But there are 2 problems:

    1. It leaves several gaps in the real narrative (regarding inconsistencies, circumstantial evidence, and question marks in relation to Knox and Sollecito).

    2. What of someone writing a narrative which would include Knox and Sollecito in a way which would fit all empirical data?

    It is easy enough to have the lone wolf theory in mind, and to make the facts fit into it, once it has been served up in an analysis.

    There has now been an arrest of a female college student and her 2 male friends as accomplices in the strangling homicide of a pre-med female student at VA Tech. It happens.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK View Post
    I read the piece. It is well written, and I can understand and respect her writing a narrative which leads seamlessly to Rudy Guede as a lone wolf killer.

    But there are 2 problems:

    1. It leaves several gaps in the real narrative (regarding inconsistencies, circumstantial evidence, and question marks in relation to Knox and Sollecito).
    She concentrates on the murder itself, not the failed investigation and interrogation leading to false confession. The previous article I linked by professor Drizin focuses on the mechanism of wrongful conviction more.

    2. What of someone writing a narrative which would include Knox and Sollecito in a way which would fit all empirical data?
    I'd love to see one, but neither the prosecution nor various online commenters delivered so far.

    There has now been an arrest of a female college student and her 2 male friends as accomplices in the strangling homicide of a pre-med female student at VA Tech. It happens.
    I guess there is evidence that matches a reasonable group scenario, unlike the Kercher case. Could you provide some more info?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK View Post
    I read the piece. It is well written, and I can understand and respect her writing a narrative which leads seamlessly to Rudy Guede as a lone wolf killer.

    But there are 2 problems:

    1. It leaves several gaps in the real narrative (regarding inconsistencies, circumstantial evidence, and question marks in relation to Knox and Sollecito).

    2. What of someone writing a narrative which would include Knox and Sollecito in a way which would fit all empirical data?

    It is easy enough to have the lone wolf theory in mind, and to make the facts fit into it, once it has been served up in an analysis.

    There has now been an arrest of a female college student and her 2 male friends as accomplices in the strangling homicide of a pre-med female student at VA Tech. It happens.
    The VA Tech story is similar, and yet quite different. There will be a strong case against the defendant.
    http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/co...a4bcf6878.html

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 943
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1062
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 07:15 PM
  3. Replies: 1068
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM
  4. Replies: 1011
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 12:34 AM
  5. Replies: 1111
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Tags for this Thread