Can someone PLEASE help me??!

Tristan

Reaction score
I have a VERY bad spyware problem on my computer and I tried to fix it for 6 hours last night to no avail.

I tried ad-aware, spybot and shredder....it worked somewhat, but I am
still get error notices and a pop up box which is always on my machine.

If anyone can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am absolutely exasperated.

Thank you.

Try Aluria's Spyware Eliminator, it will get rid of registry entries that Spybot misses.

I was able to finally get rid of a spyware that wouldn't delete by clicking Settings on the AOL page, then Index, Internet, and temporarily raising my Privacy setting to "High" . Don't know if it will come back.

Just now I did a keyword search for the Aluria program above although I have several already. They have slightly different lists, but for me, just temporarily changing the Privacy setting helped.

I'm using IE. I have Windows ME and AOL.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

Try to figure out what spyware you are infected with....some of them are very nasty and reinstall themselves after they are deleted. What is the popup that keeps coming up? If you do a google search on the name of the pop up you are getting you can most likely find solutions that others will have posted on the web.

A couple ways to identify what spyware is hijacking you:

1) Go to control panel, have a look at all the programs under "add/remove programs" if you see anything in there that looks suspicious do a google search on the name to find out if it is a ligitamate program or if it is something that spyware has installed.

2) hold down control + alt + del keys and have a look at the currently running programs. Write them all down and do a google search on them to find out if any are programs that should be running or if they are spyware.

Don't delete anything until you are really really sure that it is really spyware.

Also, try downloading BAZOOKA spyware detector. It may detect some that the others missed.

Be careful what spyware detectors you use....some of them actually install more spyware.

Adaware is ok. Spybot Search and Destroy is ok. Bazooka is ok.

You can also instal free "Spyware blaster" it doesn't remove spyware....it keeps it from installing in the first place. It has really made a big difference. Almost nothing gets through it...but you have to remember to update it frequently and enable it after updating it.

Be patient. You may have several different spywares on your computer and may have to find the fixes one by one through a google search but eventually you should be able to get rid of them all.

Thank you to everyone. I will follow the instructions you gave, but my question is: If I cannot get rid of this Spyware, will my computer just crash?
Meaning, will I have to get a new computer...and thus lose all of my information?

I have A LOT of pics, documents, etc on this machine, and I would be devastated if I could not recover it. I am going to back up as much as possible, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Kim komando is a computer Wiz and she says use adaware

Tristan said:
Thank you to everyone. I will follow the instructions you gave, but my question is: If I cannot get rid of this Spyware, will my computer just crash?
Meaning, will I have to get a new computer...and thus lose all of my information?

I have A LOT of pics, documents, etc on this machine, and I would be devastated if I could not recover it. I am going to back up as much as possible, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

What is the pop up you keep getting? what is it advertising?

Tristan said:

I would use ad-aware.
and unless you install service pack 2 and shut off your computer..
you should be fine ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back