GUILTY TN - Jon, 74, & Marion Setzer, 72, killed by bomb, Lebanon, 10 Feb 2014

Blondie in Spokane

Reaction score
"Revealed: Note was attached to parcel bomb that killed retired bankruptcy lawyer, 74, and injured his wife in mystery attack"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ystery-attack-injured-wife.html#ixzz2tAW2X45l

"A note had been attached to a parcel containing a bomb that killed a retired Tennessee attorney and gravely injured his wife Monday, it was revealed today.
Jon Setzer, 74, was pronounced dead from his injuries at the scene and 72-year-old Marion Setzer was in critical condition at Vanderbilt University Hospital, police said."

"Tennessee Bureau of Investigation officials declined to say what kind of parcel was sent to the couple’s Lebanon home."

How awful! They seem like rather nice people...

The wife has now died from her injuries. A note was found...

Sources tell CNN that investigators found a note they believe was attached to the bomb, but would not divulge its contents.

"With a note in there, it very well may be some intentional revenge or something, that the attacker, the bomber, wanted to send them a message," Former ATF agent and bomb expert Joseph Vince told CNN. "This is a very important piece of evidence, because now you may have handwriting."

Law enforcement authorities are looking into how the package was delivered -- whether it was by private carrier or commercial delivery

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/1...ed-to-mail-bomb-that-killed-tennessee-lawyer/

"...The son-in-law of a retired couple killed by a package bomb has been arrested, authorities in Tennessee say. ..." --- Breaking News on CNN

Holy cow. Just had a chill go down my spine.
I mean, their OWN son-in-law ??
What could this couple possibly have done to deserve this ? Hope they also arrest anyone else involved in this. What a disgusting and cruel murder. smh.
May the Setzer's rest in gentle peace !

fox17.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/lebanon-explosion-wife-dies-injuries-caused-explosive-package-sent-setzer-home-19551.shtml

"....Investigators announced an arrest has been made today in connection with the Lebanon explosion. Son-in-Law Richard Parker has been charged with two-counts of felony premeditated murder...."

Sounds like a domestic dispute. Sometimes a family member or in-law can "imagine" insults , when there are none.
Sorry , but I have no patience with people who would commit a crime like this. The photo of the Setzer's showed a couple in their golden years ,and they looked happy and loving --- with Marian's arms around her husbands' shoulders.

I'm wondering if the motive was financial - speeding up his wife's inheritance. Or maybe the SIL asked for a loan and was refused.

I wonder if the bomb was set off by remote since son-in-law was next door. Hopefully they have some good evidence against this guy and didn't just home in on him because he had a previous arson conviction.

Bombs are unusually cruel because the victims often don't die right away or survive with crippling and disfiguring injuries.

i4eoo0.jpg

Richard Parker

Richard Parker was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Jon and Marion Setzer, as well as unlawful possession of a prohibited weapon, said State Fire Marshal's Office spokeswoman Katelyn Abernathy.

Son-in-law arrested in Tenn. package bomb deaths
http://www.9news.com/news/world/377499/347/Son-in-law-arrested-in-Tenn-package-bomb-deaths-

This is a very interesting case, parker is a cold hearted person. Some kind of deep seated hate. Jmo

ciao

I also wondered if the daughter was seeking a divorce after having realized who she married; and maybe her parents were supporting it ?
Hard to believe a person could do this ; and to elderly people and one of them in frail health ! ___ Good luck with the jury on this unspeakable crime .
Just my opinion.

Hi all--

I'd moved into covering more general news and tech/cyber crime and haven't posted or logged in here in years but I've often checked in. I'm not sure why I logged in today. I partly just wanted to see if there was a thread like this here. See, I knew Richard Parker. My family and his were good enough friends when I was a kid that until I was maybe 6 or 7 I half-thought the Parkers were relatives. His mom, Sarah Lee, was very good friends with my mother. They'd drink coffee together and I'd play with Richard, who is 3 years older than me.

Richard was not a bully. He wasn't violent. But by the time I was 10 I realized he was a cold, sly, manipulative person and I wanted nothing more to do with him. Richard may have been the first person near my age whom I came to think of as kind of evil.

Now it seems like he was even more evil than I could have imagined 36 years ago.

Needless to say, his arrest for this horrific crime--the cold nature of which totally fits the fundamental feeling I got from Richard when we were kids--has blown my mind. My mom's too. I'm still wrapping my head around it as a journalist. Many Facebook friends, including established true crime writers like Mark Ebner and Kathryn Casey, say I virtually have to write about it--but I've hated Richard Parker for decades, and am uncertain if longstanding, deep-seated enmity makes for good journalism.

I've already written a blog post about it on my own site but won't link it here, because I recall there being rules re: blog links on WS. I think I just wanted to check in and also encourage anyone delving into this to keep it up, as I suspect Richard is the kind of sociopath who committed a variety of perhaps carefully-concealed crimes. I was particularly concerned at a report from a Nashville TV station, which I'll link below, of Richard and his wife being involved with the kids at their church. I would never have trusted Richard Parker around a child.

http://www.fox17.com/news/features/...r-hosted-children-at-lebanon-home-19565.shtml

:wave:

Nice to see you Steve!

Thank you for the first hand perspective. Interesting that he gave this type of vibe off decades ago. Unfortunately not everyone picked up on it.

Horribly sad case. Such a tragedy.

JMHO
fran

PS.... Hope you don't wait years and years before you come back to Websleuths again! :)

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...ful-bedside-vigil-hours-letterbomb-blast.html

"....Parker, 49, had lived behind his in-laws with his wife and four children and even attended tearful bedside vigils before Mrs Setzer finally succumbed to her injuries. ..."

SMH

I realize DM is prone to conjecture and sometimes exaggeration ; but this bit of info seems to fit the personality of one who would plan a crime like this.
MOO

Interesting insight, SteveHuff! And yes, you may post a link to your blog here. :yes:

Thank you, Kimster. My post was kind of just my immediate reaction, which was more emotional than I could've anticipated. I touch on some memories that came back, as much of feelings as anything. Even though his mom moved from where the Parkers lived a few years ago I can vividly picture where they lived, which was also next door to Richard's grandmother--who was, by the way, a lovely person. My mom even made a point of saying that today.

What's funny is I don't know much about Richard's life after maybe 1992 or so but what I've found out doesn't surprise me.

Here's my post--as I said, it's more of a personal response but I do have the most unique perspective I've ever had on a case I blogged about for any reason, with this one.

(I went to high school with the Setzer's younger daughter Kristy too, but didn't really know her.)

http://huffwire.wordpress.com/2014/...rrested-for-mail-bomb-murders-of-his-in-laws/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wafficer
Back