Australia Australia - Wolf Creek, QLD: Is serial killer hunting victims on Flinders Highway?

Strangeworld

Reaction score
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s-remote-highway/story-fnihsrf2-1226828595305

DOES a serial killer stalk an outback stretch of road infamously dubbed the “highway of death”?

As police investigate fresh leads in the 32-year-old murder mystery of hitchhiker Tony Jones, the spectre of a thrill killer hangs over at least 11 unsolved cold cases on the Flinders Highway.

“It is it’s own world out there,’’ said the missing man’s brother Mark Jones.

“Strange things do happen in those wild empty spaces.’’

The Flinders Highway that turns into the Barkly Highway is an isolated, remote 800km stretch of bitumen between Townsville and Mount Isa.

“This could be the work of a thrill killer.’’

Like serial killer Ivan Milat and Falconio killer Bradley Murdoch, a hunter stalks his prey on an isolated highway, he said.

“It is a lonely abandoned road in the middle of nowhere.

A $250,000 reward still stands and those with any information are asked to please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000

Potential victims:

Anthony (Tony) Jones, 32 y.o.
-missing 3 November 1982
-reported missing 11 November 1982
-hitchhiking alone, vanished without a trace
-last seen near Anthill Creek (26km out of Townsville, known as the killing fields)

Judith and Susan Mackay, 7 and 5 y.o.
-found sexually ravaged bodies in 1970
-bodies found in Anthill Creek area
-"Arthur Brown, 86, was charged with their murder 28 years later, but legal manoeuvres based on his mental health allowed him to escape prosecution. He died in 2002"

Catherine Graham, 18 y.o.
- murdered 28 July 1975
-body found in Anthill Creek area - raped and slain

Karen Edwards, Gordon Twaddle and Timothy Thompson
-found October 1978 shot in the head near Mt Isa (approx. 250km west of Julia Creek)

Robin Hoinville-Bartram and Anita Cunningham, 18 and 19 y.o.
-Hitchhikers who disappeared along the Flinders Hwy
-Robin's body was found west of Charters Towers in July 1972 - shot twice in the head
-Anita is listed as missing, believed killed

Just starting to look around to see what info is available. Here is one website I've foun:

http://www.beaumontchildren.com/beaumontArthurStanleyBrown.html

I see there's a thread here for two of the victims.

QLD 1972: Robin Jeanne Hoinville-Bartram & Anita Cunning
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210256"]Australia QLD 1972: Robin Jeanne Hoinville-Bartram & Anita Cunning - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

ETA I see the above thread says 'Cunning' but it should be Cunningham.

Tony Jones
Police with fresh leads on disappearance of Tony Jones in 1982
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...nce-of-tony-jones-in-1982-20140210-32bnx.html

Following fresh leads, the cold case investigation will this week turn its attention towards Hughenden, a remote inland town on the banks of the Flinders River.

Mr Jones was reported missing on November 11, 1982.

He had planned to travel between Townsville and Mount Isa to meet his brother Tim, and the last verified sighting of Mr Jones was in the Townsville suburb of Rosslea on the evening of November 3.

It was there he placed calls from a phonebox to his mother and his then-girlfriend.

Police are also aware of an unconfirmed sighting of Mr Jones drinking with another man at the Rising Sun Hotel in Townsville.

Northern region crime coordinator Cheryl Scanlon said police had recently received new information - from known and anonymous sources - that Mr Jones had made it to Hughenden

In 2002, a coronial inquest found Mr Jones had met with foul play, although his remains were never found. A new inquest was ordered by the state government in 2010.

The following year, police and the SES searched a campsite beside the Cloncurry River but failed to find anything.

Mr Jones' dissapearance sparked the creation of Missing Persons Week, which marked its 25th anniversary in 2013.

Anthony (Tony) Jones

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ludes-his-family/story-fnihsrf2-1226686771593

The family of Anthony have written a book, collected their own evidence, constantly pushed the Queensland Police Service to do more and are now asking why a second inquest, which was ordered three years ago, has not started.

"Tony was 20 and in 1982 he took off in a kombi van with some mates and headed across to Melbourne and Sydney for a bit of adventure.

"Tony's mates had ran out of money and headed home.''

Then Tony's brother Tim decided he wanted to ride his push bike from Sydney to Brisbane. Tony said he would come. He would hitch and Tim would ride his bike. They decided where they would meet and phone home to Perth to keep everyone informed.

After travelling up the coast of Queensland, the pair phoned their parents from Townsville in early November 1982 to say they were headed to Mount Isa.

The travellers were flat broke, so the family deposited $150 in Tony's bank account.

Tim arrived in Mount Isa but was still waiting for Tony more than a week later.

"We were thinking, where the bloody hell is he? Every night we would have a round table meeting. I remember it like it was yesterday.

The $150 hadn't been touched.

Five years later older brother Brian, a priest at the time, wrote a book about Tony's disappearance, and set up a missing person's committee, which helped families all over Australia. It was the genesis of Missing Persons Week, which is now under the auspices of the Australian Federal Police.

Anthony (Tony) Jones

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2014/02/10/promising-leads-30-year-old-disappearance-tony-jones/

Police investigating the 1982 mysterious disappearance of backpacker Tony Jones are hopeful of being able to find some long awaited answers for a family who have persevered for more than 30 years to find out what happened to their son and brother.

Twenty-year-old Western Australian Tony Jones had been travelling throughout Queensland with his brother and two mates for six months before he failed to meet up with them in Mount Isa in early November of 1982.

Senior Sergeant John Mahony, who first worked on the Tony Jones case in 2001, said that police had long suspected that Tony meet with foul play somewhere between Townsville and Mount Isa, however credible new information now had police looking in the Hughenden area.

http://www.missingpersons.gov.au/missing-persons/profiles/profiles/j/o/jones anthony john - qld.aspx

Anthony John Jones (Tony) disappeared in November 1982, he was 20 years of age. Tony was on a 6 month backpacking holiday around Australia. At the time of his disappearance, Tony, from Perth, Western Australia was at the end of his holiday in North Queensland.
In the 3 weeks leading up to his disappearance, Tony had met up with his brother Tim in Mackay and Airlie Beach.

Tony rang his Mother and Girlfriend and they advised him that his brother Tim had travelled onto Mt Isa, Tony indicated that he would again meet up with Tim and also travel to Mt Isa by hitchhiking.

This was the last known contact that anyone had with Tony Jones.

http://www.4bc.com.au/blogs/2013-4b...f-tony-jones/20131018-2vq5h.html#.UwCrQrBWHIU

4BC recording of interview on Tony's disappearance.

THEY knocked back the idea of a plane ticket - determined to hitchhike the 2500-odd kilometres to Bowen.

Two teenage girls - lured by adventure and just a year apart in age - set off from Melbourne in July, 1972, lugging their camping gear, to begin the trip so many had innocently done before them.

Four months later, remains were found protruding from a shallow grave under a bridge at Sensible Creek, about 80km west of Charters Towers.

Just how Robin Jeanne Hoinville-Bartram, 19, wound up buried in that remote dry creek bed with two shots to the head from a .22 calibre rifle - her college friend Anita Cunningham, 18, missing - has haunted both of their families for four decades.

Murder of Robin Jeanne Hoinville-Bartram and disappearance of Anita Cunningham remain a mystery four decades on
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...sit-1972-mystery/story-e6freon6-1226619752807

Attached Image: Robin Hoinville-Bartram (left) and Anita Cunningham before they disappeared en route from Melbourne to Bowen 40 years ago. Source: Sunday Mail (SA)

Attachments

• Robin Hoinville-Bartram - Anita Cunningham.jpg
    Robin Hoinville-Bartram - Anita Cunningham.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 22
Anthony (Tony) Jones

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/7975895/250-000-reward-for-solving-murder/
$250,000 reward for solving murder

When Bindoon resident Tania Briscoe dropped Perth backpacker Anthony John Jones on a deserted stretch of highway in far north Queensland 28 years ago, she never guessed she would be one of the last known people to see him alive.

For Mrs Briscoe, 51, the renewed effort to find out what happened to the "lovely and innocent young man who just wanted to go home to Perth" was welcome news.

Mrs Briscoe had been camping by the Barron River near Cairns with boyfriend Dean Meldrum when Mr Jones arrived on October 29 and asked if he could camp with them. He ended up staying the weekend.

"He was very nice young man," she said. "We had a lot in common because we were all from Perth.

"He was on his way back home and talked a lot about Perth, his girlfriend and his family.

"We had a lot of fun on the Saturday. We were hippies. We ran through the bush, played guitar and had a cook-up around the fire."

On the Monday, the couple drove him into town where he withdrew money from the bank before they shared a goodbye drink.

"We dropped him off on the Cook Highway where he planned to hitchhike south to Townsville and then to Mount Isa where he planed to meet his brother. It was about 10am."

Wow. Scary stuff. It would be very interesting to know Bradley John Murdoch's whereabouts during those times.

I really shouldn't be researching this whilst watching Wolf Creek!!!! :scared:

(it's on Ch 99/Go now for anyone else who wants the be-jesus scared out of them!!)

(it's on Ch 99/Go now for anyone else who wants the be-jesus scared out of them!!)

Off Topic, but I've never looked at John Jarret the same after seeing wolf creek!!!! (sorry if spelling is wrong!)

I just saw this in my google search results:

serial killers in Townsville Region, QLD | Gumtree Australia Free ...
www.gumtree.com.au/s-townsville/serial+killers/k0l3006693‎
Find serial killers ads from Townsville Region, QLD. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.

Really?!!!! :scared::scared:
I must remember gumtree have serial killers for sale when I need one.

One of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen. Ended up curled into a fetal position in the theater seat by the time it was over. Made me sick to my stomach. Horrifying to know that it was influenced by true events. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back