Would you try to raise your kid gender neutral?

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
This just seems like a psychological experiment that has a good possibility of having negative consequences.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGuHXPdSX24"]Gender Neutral Parenting: Why We're Raising Our Son Neither Boy Or Girl - YouTube[/ame]

I notice that daddy isn't wearing feminine clothing in the video.

No, although I agree with the idea that boys shouldn't only play with trucks and girls only with dolls- I think any child raised to be gender neutral will get teased as they get older, and I think it will lead to confusion. I don't really see the point beyond equal pay for women.

I notice that daddy isn't wearing feminine clothing in the video.

and neither is Mom!

Apparently for these folks Femininity is limited to nail polish and hair clips?

I'm confused, it must be worse for Max.

No. I think it is ridiculous. You are what you are. We are now at a point where we are not only taking the ambiguous and looking for many other answers, But The facts and changing them.

You can raise a boy to be tolerant and still a boy. You can raise a boy to be kind and respectful and still a boy.

To me all this parenting says is " you are nothing.. "

JMO

This is an alarming form of emotional child abuse. There is a way to raise gender 'healthy' children without confusing and shaming the heck out of them. Ggheeezzzzzzzzz

No I wouldn't. What's wrong with raising your child to be proud of their gender and respectful of the other? It feels like an experiment to me, and I don't think that's fair to the child.

MOO

there are enough kids that grow up confused about their own gender because they feel like they were born in the wrong body. those kids need to be accepted and understood. we don't need to add to the confusion by creating kids that aren't sure about their gender because their parents decided to try something new.

No I wouldn't. What's wrong with raising your child to be proud of their gender and respectful of the other? It feels like an experiment to me, and I don't think that's fair to the child.

MOO

And it won't work in any case. there's no purpose to it. This was actually done to me and more than once. At about 1 1/2 years old they dressed my in a dress, put some lacy thing on my head and took home movies, and showed them every chance they got, laughing at it all, humiliating me, and I hate them for doing it. Yes mom, gone many, many years, I hate you for doing that to me. And for what? I didn't mourn your passing, it was a freaking relief. Please don't any of you do this to your kids. Thankfully I grew up loving females and my marriage lasted 45 years till she passed. We know what gender we are even at less than 2 yrs old. She wanted a daughter, she didn't get one, she got me. Suck on it mom. What the hell is wrong with these people? Wow. I can barely contain myself. I never thought I'd tell anyone this stuff. I'm so angry right now, I can't even believe the strong emotions I'm feeling right now that would make me bare myself like this.

there are enough kids that grow up confused about their own gender because they feel like they were born in the wrong body. those kids need to be accepted and understood. we don't need to add to the confusion by creating kids that aren't sure about their gender because their parents decided to try something new.

Well said.

I don't see any way to raise a gender neutral kid without dressing them like the opposite sex. It's still purposely making them a gender in between because they have to dress a certain way, have hair a neutral length, and only play with certain toys. Angelina Jolie's girl looks way more like a boy that a girl in neutral clothing. It seems really stupid. Why not just raise them as they were made and if they turn out to be one that wants to be a different gender deal with it wisely IF it happens. I wouldn't do it or recommend the neutral thing other than not forcing them to wear frills if they hate them or forcing them to play with certain toys that they don't like.

:hug: TS, I don't blame you for getting heated. This story was bound to put you up close and personal with your own anger at the past.

I am glad you shared. You spoke from a unique perspective. While we can all opine and analyze why we feel these parents may actually be harming this child, you were able to speak to this subject froma place of experience.

Thank you.

As long as we live in a society that recognizes gender, it will be impossible to raise a 'gender neutral' human being.

It is what it is. To experiment on your children is a form of child abuse. These parents are ignorant.

Something tells me they are watching too much Entertainment Tonight and believe they are emulating Angelina Jolie's parenting.

enforcing a gender nuetral form of dress and behavior on your child is just as harmful as trying to force them to BE anything other than what they naturally come to conclude they are.

Sure, have some dolls around for your boy to pick up IF he is so inclined. Have a dress up toybox with cowboy and princess outfits available SHOULD your child feel inclined to play dress up. But this business being discussed here is just ludicrous and yes, abusive I think.

TS, I feel ya...my dad wanted me, his firstborn, to be a boy in the worst way. Luckily, my mom intervened when she could, but both my parents indulged me in my "tomboy" ways. Dad taught me to shoot, let me dress like a boy away from school and church; mom fixed my hair and tried her best to keep me in dresses.

Fast forward...grew up, decided being a girl was just fine except for the knuckleheads who thought I couldn't do some particular thing because of my gender. Became a law enforcement officer and surprised them all, have had a long and good career in a male-dominated field.

Then - I had a son. I tried my best to allow him to choose his own way, and that way mostly included trucks and tools and tearing stuff up. He did grow up to be a tolerant and compassionate man, following me into the same career choice.

I remember picking him up from grade school one day, me in full uniform, and as we drove home, he told me of his disgust that one of the girls in his class said she wanted to be a policeman when she grew up. I countered with, "But what am I?" He replied with the full force of second grade scorn -"She's a GIRL. You're a MOM. You are NOT a GIRL!" So well then.

TS, I feel ya...my dad wanted me, his firstborn, to be a boy in the worst way. Luckily, my mom intervened when she could, but both my parents indulged me in my "tomboy" ways. Dad taught me to shoot, let me dress like a boy away from school and church; mom fixed my hair and tried her best to keep me in dresses.

Fast forward...grew up, decided being a girl was just fine except for the knuckleheads who thought I couldn't do some particular thing because of my gender. Became a law enforcement officer and surprised them all, have had a long and good career in a male-dominated field.

Then - I had a son. I tried my best to allow him to choose his own way, and that way mostly included trucks and tools and tearing stuff up. He did grow up to be a tolerant and compassionate man, following me into the same career choice.

I remember picking him up from grade school one day, me in full uniform, and as we drove home, he told me of his disgust that one of the girls in his class said she wanted to be a policeman when she grew up. I countered with, "But what am I?" He replied with the full force of second grade scorn -"She's a GIRL. You're a MOM. You are NOT a GIRL!" So well then.

BBM

:laughcry:

:hug: TS, I don't blame you for getting heated. This story was bound to put you up close and personal with your own anger at the past.

I am glad you shared. You spoke from a unique perspective. While we can all opine and analyze why we feel these parents may actually be harming this child, you were able to speak to this subject froma place of experience.

Thank you.

Thank you. We had 2 sons first and then 3 daughters. I took my # 2 son and oldest daughter to a fishing expo, ages 10 and 8, and signed them both up in a casting contest. Son took 1st place , daughter took third. She was the only girl competing. Can't say who I was most proud of. Myself, most probably since I taught them both. But it was never my intent, and my intent could not have changed one damn thing, to raise her like I did them. To teach her like I did the boys, yes. To treat her like a son......never.
I don't think any other thread has ever touched me this deeply before. This is just wrong and I don't care what the so called progressives have to say about it.

I want a list of how they think this will create positive outcomes for their child. I want to know how they justify it.

IMO children need an identity. We need to know we belong - to a family, to a society, to a school, to a sports team etc. etc. and yes, to a gender. Transgender people have such a strong sense of identity relative to a specific gender that they are willing to undergo gender reassignment surgery.

I think this is awful. JMO and all that. I HUGELY subscribe to the policy of "to each their own". But this does not fly with that. This is parents experimenting on their child. Would anyone be ok with this if they were feeding an allergic child seafood, dairy, gluten or any of the other things that kids are allergic to? To see if they would fit somewhere in between? This is worse than doing something like that, because they are psychologically abusing this child. A kid growing up and having identity issues is not the norm, they are children that need all the help and support they can get. These people are creating an anomaly. IF a child has sexual identity issues, they can be addressed in whatever way is best for that kid. This is just setting up a child to deal with something that is hard enough already.

This just upsets me a lot. There are kids out there dealing with these issues and suffering. These people are creating a situation that didn't have to happen.

ALWAYS MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u