TN TN - Shannon Elmore, 15, & Tanya Rogers, 16, Nashville, 5 Jan 1980

Mullins

Reaction score
These two girls were reported missing in a February 1980 issue of the Nashville Banner newspaper. At the time of the article, they had been missing for 5 weeks. They were last seen at a Municipal Auditorium automobile show January 5, 1980. They were age 15 and 16. Friends of the girls reported not having talked with them and having seen them last at the Municipal Auditorium automobile show.

Parents were frantic and originally thought the girls had run away from home. A note was found scrawled in a public restroom of a downtown motel, stating "Tanya and Shannon. runaways, 1980." It is unclear how many days after the girls were missing that the note was found, and whether it was left as a hoax or actually by one of the girls.

There were no descriptions of the girls such as height or weight in the article. From a newspaper picture, it appears that Tanya Rogers had brown hair and Shannon Elmore had blonde hair.

Does anyone know more, or whether the girls ever turned up?

Thanks for checking, my searches turned up empty as well. It may be that the only way to find out further info is to search the newspapers in the following months (March 1980 forward...)

Just bumping this up---if anyone knows of any creative ways to find out info other than scrolling through unindexed microfilm of newspapers (not knocking researching because I would love to do this if I could find time) Shannon Elmore IMO looks a lot like Princess Doe....I know it's a longshot (see Princess Doe thread) but thought I'd ask again if anyone knows anything about these two? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks----

Mullins said:
These two girls were reported missing in a February 1980 issue of the Nashville Banner newspaper. At the time of the article, they had been missing for 5 weeks. They were last seen at a Municipal Auditorium automobile show January 5, 1980. They were age 15 and 16. Friends of the girls reported not having talked with them and having seen them last at the Municipal Auditorium automobile show.

Parents were frantic and originally thought the girls had run away from home. A note was found scrawled in a public restroom of a downtown motel, stating "Tanya and Shannon. runaways, 1980." It is unclear how many days after the girls were missing that the note was found, and whether it was left as a hoax or actually by one of the girls.

There were no descriptions of the girls such as height or weight in the article. From a newspaper picture, it appears that Tanya Rogers had brown hair and Shannon Elmore had blonde hair.

Does anyone know more, or whether the girls ever turned up?

Couldnt find any websites about them...

Really strange ,if nothing else ,for the fact there was 2 of them so doubling the chance that their would be some info on a website

I appreciate your looking. It seems that I may have to either look through the library archives some more or contact LE for that area to see if they ever turned up. I know the article I read slotted them as runaways and during that time frame there were runaways who were never really classified as "missing". I am so curious about them though and I'd like to know what happened to them. Thanks for thinking of them.

Has anybody had any luck finding more information on this case? I do not see anything on NCMEC or Doe Network. I have tried contacting LE and two newspapers but received no help so far.

I don't know how helpful it is but there is no KY death record for either of them up till 1992. And no marriage or divorce records either, up till 1993.

Also, neiter Ancestry nor newspaperarchive.com have any news articles about them.

Wow, what a strange case. It's hard to believe that nothing was ever published about it. Does anybody know anybody local to the area?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in that area. I also contacted the police there and received no response. Perhaps if we got the Blairstown---what county is that?----NJ cold case unit interested they would have more luck with getting a response.

Pdoe said:
Wow, what a strange case. It's hard to believe that nothing was ever published about it. Does anybody know anybody local to the area?

I cannot find any information for either of these girls in any articles or any of the databases for missing persons. I hope that means they returned home and are safe but it would be nice to have an update so we know for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back