GA - Thomas Paschal, 60, dies of gunshot wound, Albany, 18 Feb 2014

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
Crime scene tape still surrounds the home of former Albany pediatrician Thomas 'Tommy' Paschal.

The 60-year old Paschal was found dead of a gunshot wound Tuesday night in his 3rd Avenue home, after an anonymous 911 caller suggested police check on him.

Police don't yet know whether his death was suicide, accidental or homicide, but they tell WALB News 10 that his death is suspicious.

"We're investigating this death as a homicide until information is presented otherwise," said Dougherty County District Attorney Greg Edwards. "Like I said, this investigation will include forensic review and also an autopsy of the victim's body."

Paschal was chief of pediatrics at Phoebe Putney Hospital when he suddenly became ill in January 1988.

His wife, Karen, was a nurse. She set up an IV for him at home, but rather than getting better, Paschal got worse and was eventually rushed to the hospital in cardiac arrest.

Doctors revived him and medical tests showed the powerful drug Pavulon in his system.

Karen Paschal was later arrested and pleaded no contest to aggravated assault and was sentenced to 20 years probation.:banghead:

http://www.walb.com/story/24765540/former-albany-pediatrician-shot-dead

Dr. Paschal was my children's pediatrician. He was such a kind and gentle man.

His wife was a nurse and back in 1988 he had the flu and she was administering IV fluids to him for dehydration or so he thought.

She actually was giving him a lethal drug much like the one used in executions. He became gravely ill. When he was taken to the hospital she came there and gave him another deadly cocktail in his IV.

He had 1.3 million dollars in life insurance back then and she wanted his money and not him.:mad:

She destroyed the loving doctor who cared so much about caring for children.

It left his mind all messed up. I have seen him over the years and although it is hard for him to get his words out he was still the sweet gentle man he had always been.

The community was so upset when she got 20 years PROBATION! The DA who did the plea was voted out of office.

I don't know if he committed suicide because he had been in pain for so long or someone murdered him but if he committed suicide imo she pulled the trigger a long time ago when she put him in a wheelchair for life when he was a young man.

IMO

This is just so heartbreaking.

His father was also a pediatrician.

I remember when I would take my son in when he was around three Dr. Paschal would ask me to lift him up to put him up on the table where he could examine him. I imagine Dr. Paschal didn't weigh more than a 100 pounds.

Everyone is just devastated to learn he has died.

The area he lives in has some very nice historical huge estate homes in it but bad elements have moved in around the Rawson Circle area where he lived.

I know if anyone came to his door he would open it. He was just that kind of person.

Dougherty County Coroner Michael Fowler said Paschal’s body was to be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab in Macon for an autopsy.

Sources said Wednesday that four people had been detained on unrelated charges. Banks said some individuals who were known to have had contact with Paschal were being held on other charges such as probation violation, but emphasized that nothing related to the physician’s death had been filed against them.

Paschal and his then-wife, Karen, were at the center of a high-profile Dougherty County court case in 1988 after Karen Paschal was accused of trying to kill him. Prosecutors at the time contended that Karen Paschal, a registered nurse, was suspected of introducing Pavulon, a powerful anesthetic used to relax patients’ muscles for surgery, into Thomas Paschal’s home intravenous apparatus that he was using to replace fluids lost to illness, and then again at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital after the physician developed disturbing physical symptoms.

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2014/feb/19/body-found-on-third-avenue/

Dr. Paschal was disable so he would have to hire workers to tend to his lawn and landscaping and other things at his home that needed to be done that he couldn't do.

Pavulon? Wow- she meant business!

What a tragic story.

What a tragedy :( What was done to him years ago by his evil wife and his recent passing.

How on earth did his wife ONLY get PROBATION for having tried to kill him, not once but twice? What a travesty!

I wonder if she had anything to gain from his recent death........

Wonder if he had a will and who beneficiaries would hav been.........same w/ life insurance.

Seems odd that LE can't tell if the fatal gunshot wound was homicide or suicide?

To Oceanblueyes: did you happen to read these 2 pages here? Do you really think it's true his former wife is now a minister in Colorado? (some in this link have posted a website): http://www.topix.com/forum/city/albany-ga/TH7MHEOIJ55GOMI9P

Dr. Paschal was my children's pediatrician. He was such a kind and gentle man.

His wife was a nurse and back in 1988 he had the flu and she was administering IV fluids to him for dehydration or so he thought.

She actually was giving him a lethal drug much like the one used in executions. He became gravely ill. When he was taken to the hospital she came there and gave him another deadly cocktail in his IV.

He had 1.3 million dollars in life insurance back then and she wanted his money and not him.:mad:

She destroyed the loving doctor who cared so much about caring for children.

It left his mind all messed up. I have seen him over the years and although it is hard for him to get his words out he was still the sweet gentle man he had always been.

The community was so upset when she got 20 years PROBATION! The DA who did the plea was voted out of office.

I don't know if he committed suicide because he had been in pain for so long or someone murdered him but if he committed suicide imo she pulled the trigger a long time ago when she put him in a wheelchair for life when he was a young man.

IMO

To Oceanblueyes: did you happen to read these 2 pages here? Do you really think it's true his former wife is now a minister in Colorado? (some in this link have posted a website): http://www.topix.com/forum/city/albany-ga/TH7MHEOIJ55GOMI9P

I really don't know what rumors are true Layzee. Topix is always rampant for rumors since it isn't a moderated board.

I have heard that she married the man who gave her the polygraph test back in the 80s and they moved to Florida and I also have heard about the rumor that she is a minister in Colorado.

I cringe to think this woman may be a minister. Imo, one has to be a stone cold sociopath to give someone a lethal drug trying to kill them for money and then watch them struggling to live. That is what many Black Widows have done over the years. These type of women are cruel, calculating, and cold to the bone.

But if she does live in Colorado, which is thousands of miles from where they lived at the time, I bet none of her congregation there knows her sordid evil past.

imo

The one thing that keeps nagging at me is why would someone call anonymously to tell LE to go over and check on Dr. Paschal?

Surely if it was someone that knew him well they would tell the police who they are I would think.

I find that very strange.

imo

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
Crime scene tape still surrounds the home of former Albany pediatrician Thomas 'Tommy' Paschal.

The 60-year old Paschal was found dead of a gunshot wound Tuesday night in his 3rd Avenue home, after an anonymous 911 caller suggested police check on him.

Police don't yet know whether his death was suicide, accidental or homicide, but they tell WALB News 10 that his death is suspicious.

"We're investigating this death as a homicide until information is presented otherwise," said Dougherty County District Attorney Greg Edwards. "Like I said, this investigation will include forensic review and also an autopsy of the victim's body."

Paschal was chief of pediatrics at Phoebe Putney Hospital when he suddenly became ill in January 1988.

His wife, Karen, was a nurse. She set up an IV for him at home, but rather than getting better, Paschal got worse and was eventually rushed to the hospital in cardiac arrest.

Doctors revived him and medical tests showed the powerful drug Pavulon in his system.

Karen Paschal was later arrested and pleaded no contest to aggravated assault and was sentenced to 20 years probation.:banghead:

http://www.walb.com/story/24765540/former-albany-pediatrician-shot-dead

I can't believe she got off with just probation...aggravated assault, my tush.

yes, and that says there were four people involved in 2011 (and current article says four people have been detained) I wonder if they are the same four people?

Yes, it is sad and heartbreaking to me. I didn't even know about the arrest but I am not surprised knowing the condition his ex left him in.

Dr. Paschal told me one time he hated the thought that he would have to be on several medications, including pain pills, for the rest of his life.:( I have no doubt he became addicted to them because he had been on them for many many years.

Dr. Paschal was a pillar of the community and was the Chief Pediatric Doctor at our large hospital here until his ex-destroyed his life.

I am sure he was lonely as well and vulnerable to bad people who took advantage of that. They probably told him they could get illegal drugs that were more powerful than the ones the doctors had him on for pain.

He was probably in his scrubs in the mug shot because he did still volunteer at Easter Seals.

It makes me think now that Dr. Paschal may have committed suicide. I don't think he ever wanted to spend the rest of his life like this.

I will always remember Dr. Paschal as a sweet and gentle soul who loved children and was a great pediatrician.

I blame his ex for his life spiraling down. If he had not been so severely debilitated due to the toxic drug when she tried her best to murder him he would still be a wonderful pediatrician saving lives of the babies/children he treated.

IMO

To see this wonderful man's life reduced to nothing is sad beyond words.

He was always so gentle and loving and at the time of her plea he asked the court to give her mercy. He was in total denial and really loved his wife.

He has said since then that was one of the worst decisions he ever made and wishes he hadn't asked the court for mercy. In the end he was the only one deeply harmed by what she had done to him and he finally realized that although much too late.

But it didn't surprise me. I think he truly believed in forgiveness but had realized that she really did need to do prison time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back