Facebook buys WhatsApp for $16 billion

zwiebel

Reaction score
Facebook failed to buy Snapchat for $3 billion so it looks like they were determined not to lose a second deal. They've just bought WhatsApp for $16 billion.

WhatsApp has about 450 million users, who get the service free for one year, then have to pay a dollar. Experts all say it's a good deal to ensure FB doesn't get left behind, but no-one seems certain how profits are going to be generated from all those users.

Lol, I think they're they're trying to recapture all those teens fleeing Mom and Dad on Facebook.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...le-messaging-app-whatsapp-for-16-billion.html

It is a messenger service.
Its quite good.
I use it to chat with friends in other countries

Like a chat room or like Skype? I guess I should look into it myself eh?:floorlaugh:

The impact of this news would be so much greater if the newscaster said,

"In the news today, Facebook has purchased "WHAZAPPPPPPPPP!" for $16B."

But they say it so ...deadpan...yawn...

Why WhatsApp is worth $19 billion
By David Goldman @DavidGoldmanCNN February 20, 2014: 11:30 AM ET

Snipped:

Crucially, WhatsApp has a strong presence internationally, particularly in Europe, India and Latin America. Those are regions where Facebook is trying to grow its base of users. WhatsApp and other mobile messaging services also are widely used by teens and tweens, a group that has notoriously been ditching Facebook for rival services, including text message services and Snapchat.

"Facebook users were complaining dearly about the lack of one-on-one personalized socializing and sharing, which WhatsApp clearly has been successful with," said Vidya Nath, research director at Frost & Sullivan.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/20/technology/social/whatsapp-19-billion/

The impact of this news would be so much greater if the newscaster said,

"In the news today, Facebook has purchased "WHAZAPPPPPPPPP!" for $16B."

But they say it so ...deadpan...yawn...

I agree. :lol:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads