CA CA - Lauren Pena, 32, Kernville, 11 Feb 2014

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Lauren Peña
attachment.php

Missing San Diego Woman's Car Found in Central Calif. -

The car of a missing San Diego woman has been found in Tulare County, north of Bakersfield. Lauren Peña was reported missing Feb. 11 by her stepmother, according to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department. Witnesses say Peña packed up her tent and left from a San Diego County property, though the exact location is unknown. On Thursday, the Tulare County Sheriff’s Department announced deputies had found Peña’s car in the parking lot of McNally’s Fairview Lodge along the Kern River.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...in-Central-Calif-246404241.html#ixzz2tu8Ozldb

Attachments

• MISSING+GIRL+LAUREN+PENA1.jpg
    MISSING+GIRL+LAUREN+PENA1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 279
:bump:

Article above says reported missing by her stepmother...the poster says last seen by a family friend at her residence in Lakeside :waitasec:

Witnesses say Pena packed up her tent and left from a San Diego County property, though the exact location is unknown.

MPA%20Lauren%20Pena.pdf

Where are you Lauren?

And where is your father?

The comments below the NBC San Diego article give more detail to what happened.

One poster said it was not a tent, but a 500 square foot yurt that she lived in. Apparently she packed up the yurt and moved it to storage on 2/11 and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

I looked up a yurt, much more sophisticated than a tent.

Maybe she was scoping out a new location? She had the yurt packed up and stored so she must've had an intention of going some place.

I wonder what she did for work? And who the land her yurt was on belonged to?

I dug around a little more and found the information I attached.

It says that she was heard by an employee asking about the Whiskey Flat Trail and looking for caves in the area. She may have purchased a map prior to her arrival near Kern River.

I can't find any updates. It doesn't look like she has been located or than anyone is still looking for her?

Attachments

• 1897767_597495810324816_234272073_n.jpg
    1897767_597495810324816_234272073_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the info EmiLove

Funny but, I am familiar with yurts lol

She would need help to move it.

So where's the yurt now? Did she move it with her car??? Can't imagine her doing it alone.

Regardless, in this info about the trail - there's mention of private property...fwiw.

:dunno:

WHISKEY FLAT TRAIL (32E35) - starts at the north end of Burlando Road in Kernville, paralleling the Kern River, and ending at the Fairview footbridge. Along the trail are gradual elevation changes (still paralleling the river) with numerous short steep stretches in and out of side drainages to the Kern River. The area abounds with mixed chaparral brush species, with occasional gray pine and oak trees. There are lots of good fishing spots along this trail. Short day hikes are recommended during summer starting from either trailhead. Trail provides little shade and is considered easy to moderate in difficulty. Please respect private property.

https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_058725.pdf

The missing poster does not say Lauren was seen the parking lot only that her car was found there. Is her car STILL in the parking lot? Or did LE take it?

Lakeside (where she retrieved her yurt) is a 5 hour drive to the lodge.

:waitasec:

I was surprised to see google offers streetview as it is really seems like the middle of nowhere. (McNally's Fairvire Lodge) (did she grab a room there?)

Trying to understand the lay of the land. (did she fall in the river?...)

The historic Whiskey Flat Trail roughly parrallels the Kern River and connects Fairview/McNalley's to Kernville by way of a long, arduous, and rugged 15 mile singletrack trail. Don't be mislead by the "Flat" in the trail's name; the trail frollics up and down through countless gullies, creeks, and mountainous terrain on its way to Kernville. Completing the 1-way shuttle ride is a feat to be proud of.

...While Whiskey Flat is ridden all year long, the trail conditions vary dramatically throughout the year. Even the entire look of the ride changes with the seasons.

Winter and Spring can bring incredible wet and packed trail conditions, with flowing creeks and snowy peaks.

More here: http://kernriversierra.com/bike/whiskeyflat.html

Where is the (salt of the) yurt???? :blushing:

SERIOUSLY, where is Lauren?

Was she even at the lodge or just her car turned up there?

ETA: EmiLove - who posted the comments - LE?

San Diego local checking in here.

I'm intrigued by this lady because local as well. I haven't seen this lady on the news at all.

I understood the article that she lived in the yurt in Lakeside, which is pretty rural San Diego. She packed it up and had it stored. Someone had to help her, yet no one knew what her plans were?

The comments about the yurt were from her family members. But none seem to be posting about her since late Feb. Kind of strange?

It sounds like she wanted to hike and camp in caves. Unfortunately there is so little info, we don't know if she is an experienced hiker? If she planned this trip or if it was spontaneous. I'm thinking had to be planned to take down and store a yurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again EmiLove...Much appreciated!

There is a cave up in there:

PACKSADDLE CAVE TRAIL - If you are looking for the unusual along the Kern Valley hiking trail, this is the trail for you. The five and a half mile round trip will take the hiker up a moderate but occasionally steep trail to a nice cave. Although most of the stalactites and stalagmites were removed illegally some years ago, it is still an interesting site. If you take the Packsaddle Cave Trail, be sure to take a flashlight to explore the cave. Click HERE for more info.

http://www.southern-sierra.com/Community/hiking.html

From the click here:

Packsaddle Trail, 33E34, is a non-motorized multi-use trail that ascends the Kern Canyon to the Rincon Trail. 15 miles north of Kernville, the trailhead is near the upper Whiskey Flat Trailhead above Fairview / McNalley's on the upper Kern River.

Trailhead & Directions

Dive 15 miles north of Kernville on the Mtn 99. There are 2 trail parking lots just north of McNally's Restaurant. The first is used for Whiskey Flat Trail, and the Packsaddle Trail parking is just north of the Fairview Campground on the west / river side. Park here, and cross Mtn 99 to the signed trailhead on the east side.

http://kernriversierra.com/hike/packsaddle_trail.html

I can't find Lauren on Namus or Charley Project anymore.
I found a post from someone saying they are her cousin from 9 months ago saying she is still missing. But cannot confirm either way. Bump for Lauren.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back