LA - Baton Rouge - Attacks & Attempted Abductions around LSU area

ktgirl

Verified College Instructor
Reaction score
I started this thread because there have been at least 3 attacks on and/or attempted abductions of women/girls recently in & around the LSU area between the end of November 2013 and present (Feb. 2014).

The February 20, 2014 attack was an attempted abduction on the LSU campus. A female student was walking to her car after class. She was in a parking lot near Patrick F. Taylor Hall (the new name of the old CEBA building, for any LSU grads out there) on Nicholson Extension. It was around 7:30pm.

She was walking back to her car when a man who had been sitting in a black box van stepped out and tried to grab her. The girl told police she broke free and went to authorities, but the suspect got away. Police added the suspect is described as a 6'1" black man with a receding hairline and shaved cuts in his eyebrows. The van driven by the suspect was described as a black older model box van with tinted windows and side double doors

http://www.wafb.com/story/24782001/lsu-issues-alert-for-attempted-abduction-on-campus

On Nov. 22, 2013, a 30 year old woman was running around the LSU lakes (a VERY popular place to run, surrounded by million-dollar-plus homes) a little after 5pm (it did get dark early, but it was by no means late at night). Around the 2500 block of E. Lakeshore Dr., a man came up behind her, put her in a choke hold, and she lost consciousness. When she came to, he was on top of her punching her in the stomach and chest. She screamed and the man got up and ran.

Police described the attacker as a muscular black man, 5-foot, 8-inches to 5-foot,10-inches tall, 185 to 200 pounds, who wore a reddish-pink-colored shirt with dark-colored shorts or pants at the time of the attack.

http://theadvocate.com/home/7652773-125/runner-assaulted-near-lsu-lakes

A few days before this attack on the runner at the lakes, an 11 year-old girl in the Garden District escaped being abducted. The Garden District is right next to the LSU lakes area, and it's a popular neighborhood for LSU students and professors to live, many of whom walk or cycle to campus & cycle, run, & walk in the area for exercise. The attempted kidnapping occurred in the 2600 block of Terrace Avenue near S. Eugene (this is also near the all-girls high school St. Joseph's Academy).

The girl was walking near the intersection of Terrace Avenue and South Eugene Street around 5:40 p.m. when a white, 4-door car with black trim passed her several times before parking in front of a house on Terrace Avenue, said the spokesman, Cpl. L’Jean McKneely.

The man got out of the car and chased the girl, McKneely said. The girl ran, screaming for help and managed to elude the man and get home safely, McKneely said. The girl described the man as black with a medium complexion, wearing a white T-shirt, dark jeans and black shoes.

http://theadvocate.com/home/7638696-125/police-search-for-man-who

Needless to say, there's someone (or someones) up to no good in the area.

More info on the attack on the runner in the 250O block of E. Lakeshore Dr. at the LSU lakes at this article: http://theadvocate.com/news/7738328-123/in-wake-of-attack-police

- The victim is a prosecutor, but LE does NOT think the attack had to do with her work.

- There was another attack around the LSU lakes in 2013, when a woman was attacked & beaten for her iPhone in broad day light. Two women have been arrested and were awaiting trial for that attack as of December 9, 2013. It doesn't seem to have to do with any other attacks/recent abduction attempts in the area.

- Surveillence video from a home owner shows the perpetrator of the attack on the prosectutor, however, it doesn't seem to be of much help in identifying the man:

Surveillance cameras at a nearby residence captured some footage of the assailant, but the darkened images were said to be of little value toward identifying him. Police have described the attacker as a muscular black man, 5 feet, 8 inches to 5 feet, 10 inches tall, 185 to 200 pounds, who wore a reddish-pink shirt with dark-colored shorts or pants

A while ago, I started a thread for the unsolved murder of Robin Gremillion, a woman who was found dead in the LSU Lakes - at the 2500 block of E. Lakeshore Dr. - where the prosecutor was attacked while running in November.

The murder occurred in 2000, so obviously it was a LONG time ago and probably not connected...but the place of the recent attack & place where Robin died (according to her COD, she drowned in the lake there...but it is a homicide) are in the same BLOCK, so Ithought perhaps should point that out.

Here's Robin's thread: LA LA - Robin Gremillion unsolved murder - Found in LSU Lakes, Baton Rouge, Jan 2000 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

(The original link I link to in Robin's thread that had the info about the block is broken now.)

If you're familiar with the lakes, this block is between the curve past the I-10 overpass and where you come up on that blind, shady turn that will take you around towards Morning Glory if you keep running/walking. It's where there's a small lake on one side of the street and City Park Lake on the other side. (I hope that makes sense for locals.) That stretch - actually from around the intersection of Lake Hills & Lakeshore to when you finally get to Morning Glory have always set me on edge a little when I do a full run around the lakes. First off, you're no longer running on a path that's on a well-driven road. Mostly only people who live on this street there. For whatever reason, that area often seems the most devoid of other runners to me. Running under the I-10 overpass can be kind of scary as well. I am glad when I see people fishing there...it's good to see other people around. Once you get between the small lake & big lake (heading towards campus), the next curve/turn seems to have a lot more tree/plant cover (which is good for shade), but almost makes it a blind turn for runners. Someone could be hiding there in the shade/foliage or force you into the foliage for an attack. Or a car could be turning. I'm always glad once I get by Morning Glory/May St. There are many more people around, walking, cycling, driving. etc.

ETA: I'm sorry this thread is basically me rambling.

Well, good - but infuriating news - the LSU student who reported the attempted abduction on campus made it up. Surveillence cameras on campus plus her changing story altered campus police to this. http://www.wafb.com/story/24791107/...tempted-abduction-admits-to-fabricating-story

Good to know there are cameras in the parking lots at LSU. I'm glad she wasn't actually almost abducted, but man, am I upset she made this up.

Still, there have been other attacks in the area (the woman who was attacked while running around the LSU lakes) and the girl who was almost abducted in the Garden District.

Well, good - but infuriating news - the LSU student who reported the attempted abduction on campus made it up. Surveillence cameras on campus plus her changing story altered campus police to this. http://www.wafb.com/story/24791107/...tempted-abduction-admits-to-fabricating-story

Good to know there are cameras in the parking lots at LSU. I'm glad she wasn't actually almost abducted, but man, am I upset she made this up.

Still, there have been other attacks in the area (the woman who was attacked while running around the LSU lakes) and the girl who was almost abducted in the Garden District.

Ms Wolfe should be sentenced to picking up road kill. This is most women's deepest fear, here she is making up a lie. Jmo

ciao

Well, yeah, that's one way to find out. Not the best way, though. Foolish girl. :notgood:

ktgirl, I'm going to try to summarize the basic details in a list. I'm not including the student, obviously.

Home invasions, Dec 2013 - Jan 2014:

Sunday, January 12 -- Tara/Goodwood area, 3:00 A.M.
78-year-old woman awakened by a noise in her house. When she got up to investigate and spotted a window open, a man grabbed her from behind and sexually assaulted ("groped") her.

Sunday, January 12 -- Glen Oaks area, 8:30 P.M.
34-year-old woman was asleep in her bed. Awakened by the sound of her door being kicked in. Assailant attacked ("groped") the victim in her bed. She fought back. He punched her. She escaped.

Tuesday, January 14 -- Webb Park area, 2:30 A.M.
73-year-old woman attacked in her home. Assaulted ("groped"), punched in the face and neck. Assailant fled. No forced entry.

None of the three women were able to give a description. Perp was about 6' tall, wore gloves and some typed of covering around his face.

Later reports:

December 29 -- Capital Heights,
Woman in her 70's found a man inside her house wearing a ski mask. She fought him. He fled.

Tuesday, January 14 -- Woodside Dr, 2:15 A.M.
Woman in her early 70's awoke to find a black man standing next to her bed. She fought back, and suffered minor injuries.

Attacks, non-home invasions, 2013:

November 20 -- Terrace Ave and S Eugene, 5:40 P.M.
Attempted abduction of an 11-year-old girl by a man in a 4-door car. Perp was a black man with a medium complexion wearing a white t-shirt, dark pants and black shoes.

November 22 -- 2500 Lakeshore, around 5:00 P.M.
30-year-old jogger grabbed from behind and placed in chokehold. She lost consciousness, and awoke to the attacker punching her in the stomach. Woman screamed. He fled. Perp described as muscular black man, 5'8"-5'10" tall, 180 lbs, wearing reddish pink shirt and dark shorts/pants

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back