1304 users online (257 members and 1047 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ransom note...have you ever considered...

that John and Patsy (or even just one of them) concocted it--and the entire crime scene for that matter--intentionally so that each piece of evidence would confuse the interpreter and point everywhere and nowhere at the same time? Throw in the kitchen sink so to speak so that nothing made any sense. Throw in the bonus amount to potentially make it a work related or 'inside' job--in case they needed to sacrifice a coworker? Throw in the movie references intentionally to make the writer seem young---since John floated the young theory in an interview, that peaked my curiocity. I know many times when I try to leave a hint for someone about something and they just miss it, I will reiterate all or portions of it to try to help them make the connections. If making it seem like a young person was somehow and someway important to John and/or Patsy's cover up--to deflect suspicion from themselves via their master plan--and the police glossed over it, hence the need to make a big point about it in hopes the police would pick up and run with it. It just seemed to me that the entire note was so 'concocted' rather than written as part of some pre-conceived master plan to kidnap JBR. I think the note was possibly dictated by John to Patsy or writen entirely by Patsy herself and they put in pieces that could logically lead investigators down various avenues. Avenues that, if the police began following, the Ramsey's could get on the bandwagon with and say "I see you police are thinking that it could be a co-worker,....I have always thought that was the most likely scenario myself". Or "I always thought it was the boarder across the street".

Some point to the SBTC as a sign that a boarder or neighbor did it because he once had a shirt that said SBTC. Who is to say that Patsy or John didn't see this individual wearing the shirt previously? In the heat of the moment writing the ransom note, throw SBTC because the covetous mystery boarder would make a nice diversionary target.

As far as the DNA that points away from seemingly everyone, who is to say that they didn't drive to the McDonalds, collect a sample from a toilet seat, and plant it under her fingernail and in her panties?

I find the footprint especially suspect. If I were going to abduct someone and/or kill them, I would buy special shoes--using cash--in a store that is guaranteed not to have cameras so it couldn't be traced back to me. I find it odd that someone wore shoes with a big HI-TEC imprint on the bottom. That is even if the print was fresh and related to the killer to begin with. HI-TEC's are not rare, I have owned a pair on many occasions.

Bottom line is.....Patsy Ramsey wrote the note to cover up for herself and/or someone else in the family or immediate circle of friends. When she goes, justice will finally be served in some small measure and who knows....maybe we will get a death bed confession.

Cal

I think you are giving the Ramseys credit for being more intelligent and subtle than they actually are.

Well, IMHO, John being an executive in a company is used to thinking on his feet and putting out fires so to speak. He would be capable of making the scene and note more elaborate while Patsy probably would have had a hard time focusing. Since some of the information was pertinent to John personally, he couldn't write the note.

I could see a scenario where Burke killed JBR and John made the decision that he wasn't going to let his first daughter, JBR, and Burke go and leave himself and his wife childless. Therefore, he couldn't really tell what happened.

Whoever did it sure did a good job confusing everyone and the keystone cops didn't help matters either.

I just hope that we find out what happened SOME day.

Cal

John and Patsy are intelligent people...I give them lot's of credit for getting away with murder.

Patsy wrote the note "The Usual Suspects" style...taking references from objects and quotes from anything and everything.

Movie references....lots of them.

Brown paper bag....the brown paper bag in the hallway near the den.

"If you want her to see 1997"...Patsy's Christmas letter..."Burke will see the Orthodontist in 1997"

"You are not the only fat cat"...the "Atlanta Fat Cats"

Patsy may try to disguise the handwriting but her use of words in the note are hers and hers alone.

Patsy staged the crime scene without John's knowledge. She never slept at all. When John was in the shower...she began what would be the role of her life.

The note was put away until morning just in case John woke in the middle of the night so as not to find it too early.

This is my theory.
    ...We have said to ourselves, look, there is never going to be a victory in this, there is no victory...John Ramsey: 6/24/98

There is a huge difference between being intelligent and being criminally sophisticated.

Neither John nor Patsy Ramsey had any prior criminal experience, thus they would have had to spring from novice class to master criminal in the space of a few hours.

Rainsong

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsong
    =Neither John nor Patsy Ramsey had any prior criminal experience, thus they would have had to spring from novice class to master criminal in the space of a few hours.

Rainsong
    There's always a first time for every crime, and many times it's murder. Nothing prior to that. Did Scott Peterson ever murder before he killed his wife? I could go on and on with this list.

I don't think it was a planned murder. Things got out of hand. That sort of thing happens all the time. The only thing the Ramsey's mastered was how to "lawyer-up" in a nanoscecond.

Were LHP's daughter, Tina and son in law, Mike ever checked out? I'd never heard of him before but while looking through PMPT (for something else) I found this.

p. 81
    "After they had washed the windows, Hoffman-Pugh and her daughter started searching the house for the missing trees. She saw a closed door in the basement just past the boiler room, which she had never noriced before. She tried to open the door, but it was stuck shut, apparently from a recent painting, She pulled at it hard, and the door finally opened. Feeling around in the dark, she found a light switch on the wall to her right. [Guess it wasn't that hard to find]

The room was full of trees, some still covered with last year's decorations, replicas of Burke's model airplanes and John Andrew's cowboy hats, boots, and red scarves. The next day the housekeeper had her older daughter Tina, her son-in-law Mike, and her husband, Merv, take all the trees upstairs and place them in their proper rooms."

Mike and Tina or an unknown friend could have learned enough about the Ramseys, their finances and their holiday plans from LHP to give them all the info they needed, plus access to a key. Could he also fit Barnhill's description?

You cant have it both ways. If JR and PR were really so careful and mindful to stage this coverup and put such careful and time consumming thought into the ransome note. Then how could they be so dumb to leave the pineapple bowl out on the table and the wiped down flashlight right on the contertop in the kitchen? And tie JBR up in such a terrible excuse for a gerrote. I dont think these people are half as "smart and quick on their feet" as some would lead us to believe.

John Ramsey became a multi millionare by being "smart and quick on his feet".

Being smart and quick on your feet is not the same as being criminally sophisticated. Criminally sophisticated people get that way through trial and error. In other words, they practice until they 'get it right,' which is why it is important to remember neither Ramsey has a criminal background.

Rainsong

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsong
    Being smart and quick on your feet is not the same as being criminally sophisticated. Criminally sophisticated people get that way through trial and error. In other words, they practice until they 'get it right,' which is why it is important to remember neither Ramsey has a criminal background.

Rainsong
    John Ramsey practiced the trappings of a criminal background when he had his affair during his first marriage. During that time, he had to become skilled in being able to deceive two people he was intimately close to, being his wife (who he fooled into thinking he still loved her) and his mistress (who he fooled into thinking he was devoted to her). Obviously, subspecialties of criminal behavior became part of his personal toolkit. He had to learn how to make items of evidence of his affair look like innocent items of ordinary life to his wife. He had to become a skilled manager of time and how to make the best use of it. He had to learn how to hide his true emotions from everyone. He had to do this while feeling shame over what he was doing, yet doing it every day, over and over and over again. This skillset practice would have served him well if he had killed JonBenet, and had to call on those skills yet again, can you agree with that?
    "That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." -- Anne Elk

I can.

Quote Originally Posted by why_nutt
    John Ramsey practiced the trappings of a criminal background when he had his affair during his first marriage. During that time, he had to become skilled in being able to deceive two people he was intimately close to, being his wife (who he fooled into thinking he still loved her) and his mistress (who he fooled into thinking he was devoted to her). Obviously, subspecialties of criminal behavior became part of his personal toolkit. He had to learn how to make items of evidence of his affair look like innocent items of ordinary life to his wife. He had to become a skilled manager of time and how to make the best use of it. He had to learn how to hide his true emotions from everyone. He had to do this while feeling shame over what he was doing, yet doing it every day, over and over and over again. This skillset practice would have served him well if he had killed JonBenet, and had to call on those skills yet again, can you agree with that?
    Sorry, but the two do not equate.

Rainsong

Quote Originally Posted by why_nutt
    I can't agree with this, John described his first marriage as a comfortable arrangement, two who married but didn't seem to share much in the way of devotion and love. It seems they were finished with each other, and just going through the motions of being a family before the unfortunate affair. He was not in love with Ms. Williams, he felt as though it was a fatal attraction that he was somewhat snagged into . He spoke of feeling sad about both the breakup of his first marriage, and of the relationship with the other woman.
    I am posting because of a big AH HA I felt while reading your post. It may be nothing. While Ms. Williams was never a suspect, and certainly I'm not suggesting she should have been, I wonder if someone in her life who cared deeply about her, held a grudge against John Ramsey,perhaps a brother or a son?

Question

Perhaps the note was long to reinforce the kidnap distraction or maybe it was long to set up Patsy. Who knows? I just find it difficult to believe either or both of the Ramseys could come up with all that movie stuff under such emotional strain. Maybe they had a talented and trusted cel consultant in the middle of night, but I find that difficult to believe as well.

There is more in the RN that is subtle but clever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast