1305 users online (203 members and 1102 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
    Stepdad of murdered 10-year-old Springfield girl, charged with sexual exploitation of minor

The stepfather of a 10-year-old Springfield girl who was abducted, raped and murdered three years ago has been indicted by a grand jury on federal charges for sexual exploitation of a minor.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/02/20/stepdad...tion-of-minor/

"Jeffrey W. Barfield, 38, pleaded not guilty to a charge of sexual exploitation of a minor during an arraignment hearing that lasted about two minutes. His next court date was scheduled for May 8.

Barfield left the courthouse holding hands with his wife Stacey. He declined to comment on the case."

SMH

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...arge/98480482/

Wow... I am dumbfounded.

A pre-trial conference in the Haley Owens murder trial has been postponed

http://www.kmzu.com/a-pre-trial-conf...een-postponed/

The pre-trial conference in a Greene County kidnapping and murder has been postponed again.

The pre-trial conference is rescheduled for 9:30 a.m. on May, 25, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeWillBeServed View Post
    A pre-trial conference in the Haley Owens murder trial has been postponed

http://www.kmzu.com/a-pre-trial-conf...een-postponed/
    Thank you for this update at least it's only around a month away.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold

Mother of Hailey Owens asks prosecutor to drop death penalty
    (...) Craig Wood — the man accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering 10-year-old Hailey in 2014 — is willing to spend the rest of his life in prison if, in exchange, the Greene County prosecutor drops his pursuit of the death penalty.

Stacey Barfield, Hailey's mom, told the News-Leader on Tuesday she wants prosecutors to take that deal.

"I don't want to go through the trial because I don't want to relive the nightmare," Barfield said. "I'm never going to be over it, but just re-seeing it is going to make it 10 times worse."

List of more than 100 witnesses in Craig Wood trial to be whittled down

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ist/345023001/

A jury trial for Wood is scheduled for late October, and prosecutors have submitted a list of 119 potential witnesses.

Wood's attorney, Patrick Berrigan, said he needs to know which of those people will actually be called to the stand at trial.

Deposing more than 100 people before the October trial would be extremely time-intensive and a waste of taxpayer money, said Berrigan, a public defender.

Mountjoy scheduled the witness list exchange for Aug. 22, giving Berrigan another month to depose witnesses before Wood's Oct. 23 jury trial.

I don't blame Stacey, I hope she doesn't have to experience a trial. It seems very unnecessary if the right plea bargain is negotiated.
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

I think she may be afraid the current problems with her husband may be brought up in trial and that is understandable. On one hand I can also understand not wanting to relive the details of what Hailey went through. Another part, a surviving parent, wants to see him punished with death.
    I am biased, having lost my son, I want these criminals to never have a chance to hurt someone else's child.

Hailey Owens' accused killer challenges Missouri death penalty law
    The man from Springfield who is charged with kidnapping, raping and killing 10-year-old Hailey Owens wants the death penalty taken off the table -- not just in his case but in all first-degree murder cases in Missouri.

Craig Wood’s lawyer filed a motion in Greene County Circuit Court this week with his arguments against the state's death penalty statutes. He laid out his case to remove the death penalty from this trial in a motion that covers 52 pages. If the Missouri Supreme Court would eventually agree with such a ruling, it would invalidate the Missouri laws on death penalties.

http://www.fox5krbk.com/story/357728...-off-the-table

Craig Wood’s attorney’s are asking the court to take the death penalty off the table and to allow them to see Wood’s mental evaluation before the prosecution in fear of it being used against him. And, an unlikely ally, Hailey Owens’ mother, spoke out.

“Life without parole. Even if there is a trial, yes, life without parole," says Barfield.

So I take it this POS did not take a plea? I thought mom had asked the state to drop the DP if he pled guilty and there was no trial.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

Craig Wood's attorneys argue death penalty is unconstitutional
    Attorneys for Springfield murder suspect Craig Wood argued Thursday the death penalty is unconstitutional.

(...)

Judge Thomas Mountjoy said he would take the issue under advisement and make his ruling another day. The case is set for another pre-trial hearing on Aug. 30.

Thursday's hearing was the latest attempt by Wood's attorneys to get the death penalty off the table.

Judge considers consequence after Craig Wood stonewalls psychiatrist
    Greene County Presiding Judge Thomas Mountjoy said Friday he needs more time to consider how to punish Craig Wood for possibly violating a court order.

(...)

Earlier this year, Mountjoy ruled that prosecutors could hire a psychiatrist to interview Wood at the jail.

But when prosecutors flew a doctor in from Boston in July, Wood allegedly refused to answer her questions — citing his fifth amendment rights.

In response, prosecutors filed a motion this summer asking for three things: that Wood's attorneys not be allowed to call their mental health experts as witnesses; that prosecutors be allowed to introduce evidence that Wood failed to comply with the court-ordered examination; and that Wood's attorneys be required to pay the expenses incurred by the psychiatrist (about $7,000).

In a recorded phone conversation with his friend, Wood allegedly laughed about the incident and said that he was following his defense attorney's instructions.

What a piece of work he is. How dare he continue Haley's mum's suffering!
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast