1631 users online (294 members and 1337 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    "I somewhat have closure, got to push on," she said.
    Her attorney, David Ransin, said, "It's important that this has all been done in the honor and the memory of her daughter Hailey."
    Ransin has guided her through all of this.
    "All of this has been very difficult for three and a half years. She's looking forward to the end so that she can get on with her own life," he said.
    Ransin will continue to prepare her for what's to come.

From the link above.

I have a problem with a Personal Injury attorney who filed a civil lawsuit on behalf of Hailey's family less than a month for wrongful death after her murder guiding them to settle that lawsuit out of Court just months before the criminal trial. Not to mention the about face change to endorse the defendant and their family for a LWOP penalty in lieu of DP. To me it smells of a "bought" recommendation, if nothing else in appearance. And could it have affected the outcome? The District Attorney's office has a victim assistance office to "guide" the family through the process.

The civil case "settled" around April 20, 2017 and the formal request to the Court for a plea deal was on June 28, 2017 where Hailey's Mom testified in favor of the deal. Of course we now know the District Attorney would not have any part of it. And even when the Defense asked during the sentencing phase for Hailey's Mom to testify, the Judge overruled the request.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/ca...archDockets.do
    JMO
    Last edited by jggordo; 11-08-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4SAM View Post
    BBM: what about her 50 minutes and what he put HER through.
    Thanks for the updates, I don't know how you can stay in there.
    I can't hardly handle these kinds of cases when there's just horrific torture and cruelty to kids or animals, I peek in now and then on some, but, rarely stay long, but, YES, Thank you! She didn't even get to live to see 49 years of life! Bless her little heart. And if they'd hit him with the DP, his death would have been HUMANE!!!
    Let me live, so when it's time to die, even the Reaper cries. . . ~ RHCP

(Unless there's a link, it's just a my own 2.)

Keyboard sticking again... I think it's a ​.

Jury foreman describes how jurors deadlocked over death penalty for Craig Wood

snipped
    “A significant amount of time was then spent on discussing — 'moral compass,' I think is the phrase that comes to mind,” Meyerhofer said. “What was your personal, moral compass telling you to do?”

After more than four hours of deliberation, Meyerhofer said it was apparent the jury was deadlocked.

Ten were in favor of death, Meyerhofer said, and two were for life in prison.

The mood, he said, was mixed.

"Clearly there were those that felt like justice had not been done for Hailey Owens," he said, but others put a lot of weight in the mitigating factors.

Wood's attorneys said the mitigating factors were a family history of depression, a loving relationship with his parents and that Wood could have a positive impact on his friends' lives — even from behind bars.

Meyerhofer said he voted for death.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ent/840989001/

You may need to clear your cookies to be able to read since this is a payed site after so many visits. imo

What does hung jury mean for Craig Wood’s fate? It’s complicated

When Judge Thomas Mountjoy announced Monday afternoon the jury was deadlocked in the Craig Wood sentencing, there was a collective confusion in the courtroom.

As the jury was excused and the attorneys ducked into a side room, many were left wondering what happens next.

The answer is both rare and controversial.

Since the jury could not decide unanimously whether Wood should get the death penalty or life in prison for abducting and murdering Springfield 10-year-old Hailey Owens in 2014, Judge Mountjoy will choose on Jan. 11.

Missouri and Indiana are the only states where a judge can give a death sentence when the jury deadlocks, and there's debate about whether those death sentences are constitutional.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ted/840847001/

> Missouri and Indiana are the only states where a judge can give a death sentence when the jury deadlocks, and there's debate about whether those death sentences are constitutional.

This is super important. All states should adopt these resolutions, to head off the endless, time-wasting, money-sucking appeals that pro-murder lawyers engage in.

Friday, December 1st:

*Motion for New Penalty Phase Sentencing Trial (found Guilty on 11/2) @ 8:30am CT - MO - Hailey Owens (10) (Feb. 18, 2014) - Craig Michael Wood (45 @ time of crime) - indicted & found guilty of 1st degree murder, kidnapping, rape, sodomy & armed criminal action/DP Case. Jurors sequestered: 7 women & 5 men/3 alternates Nov. 6th State & Defense rested; closing arguments & jury instructions 11/6 It took the jury a little more than four hours to reach the no decision verdict in the sentencing phase. It took the jury just an hour to convict Wood of first-degree murder Thursday. It is still unclear if Craig Wood will live or die. So what's next? Judge Thomas Mountjoy demanded the defense file a motion for a new sentencing trial by December 1. A hearing on that motion will be held January 11 @ 2:30pm. If the judge overrules that motion, it will go directly to sentencing.
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~
    ~~Veni, Vidi, Velcro! I came, I saw, I stuck around!~~

11/30/2017

Note to Clerk eFiling

/act

Filed By: THOMAS JOSEPH JACQUINOT

Motion Filed

Motion for trial court imposition of a sentence of life without parole; Appendices attached. /act

On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD

Motion Filed

Motion for trial court imposition of a sentence of life without parole. /act

casenet.mo

So, since they filed - we have:

Thursday, January 11th:
    *Motion for new Sentencing Trial Penalty Phase Ruling by Judge (found Guilty on all charges on 11/2/17) @ 2:30pm CT - MO - Hailey Owens (10) (Feb. 18, 2014) - Craig Michael Wood (45) - indicted & found guilty of 1st degree murder, kidnapping, rape, sodomy & armed criminal action/DP Case; Jurors sequestered: 7 women & 5 men/3 alternates. Nov. 6th State & Defense rested; closing arguments & jury instructions 11/6. It took the jury a little more than four hours to reach the no decision verdict in the sentencing phase. It took the jury just an hour to convict Wood of first-degree murder Thursday. It is still unclear if Craig Wood will live or die. So what's next? Judge Thomas Mountjoy demanded the defense file a motion for a new sentencing trial by December 1. A hearing on that motion will be held January 11 @ 2:30pm. If the judge overrules that motion, it will go directly to sentencing. Def filed motion on 11/30/17 for new sentencing trial; motion to be heard today, 1/11

JUSTICE for HAILEY!!
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~

Former Springfield coach who raped, murdered 10-yr-old girl wants new trial

The Springfield News-Leader reports that attorneys for 49-year-old Craig Wood argue that he didn’t get a fair trial in a motion filed earlier this month. Jurors found Wood guilty last month of first-degree murder in the February 2014 death of Hailey Owens but were unable to reach a unanimous decision about whether to recommend the death penalty. A judge is expected to decide on Jan. 11 whether Wood should be sentenced to the death penalty or life in prison. But first, the judge must rule on the motion for a new trial.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/12/28/former-...nts-new-trial/

I believe that Wood's attorneys cannot file for an appeal to a higher Court without asking this Judge for a new trial. Also his attorneys could be accused of ineffective counsel WITHOUT filing this motion. These motions are almost automatic especially when sentence has not been given.

However I do expect the Judge to deny the motion for new trial on Jan. 11, 2018. I will be surprised if he gives the death penalty though. I have been unable to find much of any precedence of it from Judges before, not that this case is not deserving.

JMO's

up for today's hearing or sentencing!

*Motion for new Sentencing Trial Penalty Phase Ruling by Judge (found Guilty on 11/2/17) (@ 2:30pm CT) - MO - Hailey Owens (10) (Feb. 18, 2014) - Craig Michael Wood (45) - indicted & found guilty of 1st degree murder, kidnapping, rape, sodomy & armed criminal action/DP Case; Jurors sequestered: 7 women & 5 men/3 alternates. Nov. 6th State & Defense rested; closing arguments & jury instructions 11/6 It took the jury a little more than four hours to reach the no decision verdict in the sentencing phase. It took the jury just an hour to convict Wood of first-degree murder Thursday. It is still unclear if Craig Wood will live or die. So what's next? Judge Thomas Mountjoy demanded the defense file a motion for a new sentencing trial by December 1. A hearing on that motion will be held January 11 @ 2:30pm. If the judge overrules that motion, it will go directly to sentencing. Def filed motion on 11/30/17 for new sentencing trial; motion to be heard today, 1/11

Are there any tweeters for this case?

TIA!

I cannot find where this sentencing is being televised or tweet links. It is a shame since 10,000 people attended her vigil after her death and with the proximately of time that has passed...people don't follow to conclusion.

JMO

Well that's a bummer jggordo! I was hoping you would do the live blog again! It started about 10 minutes ago, if I got the time zones right!

The hearing starts at 2:30 p.m. at the Greene County Justice Center. We'll be closely following this and will bring you updates online and our newscasts.

http://www.kspr.com/content/news/Hai...468714293.html

Follow up with KSPR, nothing yet.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast