GUILTY OK - Thomas Higgins for raping 14yo girl, Cleveland, 2013

doublestop

Reaction score
http://www.newson6.com/story/24830860/man-given-suspended-sentence-for-raping-pawnee-county-girl

PAWNEE, Oklahoma -

A man who pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old girl has been given a 10-year suspended sentence, court records show.

Thomas Stewart Madewell Higgins, 21, pleaded guilty last fall to forcible sodomy, indecent exposure, two counts of lewd proposal to a minor, two counts of sodomy to a victim under 16 and two counts of rape by instrumentation....

More at link.

http://www.newson6.com/story/24830860/man-given-suspended-sentence-for-raping-pawnee-county-girl

PAWNEE, Oklahoma -

A man who pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old girl has been given a 10-year suspended sentence, court records show.

Thomas Stewart Madewell Higgins, 21, pleaded guilty last fall to forcible sodomy, indecent exposure, two counts of lewd proposal to a minor, two counts of sodomy to a victim under 16 and two counts of rape by instrumentation....

More at link.

I think the reason for the suspended sentence is that the girl sneaked out of the house to meet the guy on two occasions and willingly engaged in the sex with him.

I understand the sentence. I'm not saying it is legal or okay/right/acceptable for a 21 to have sex with a 14 year old. I realize 14 is under the age of consent. I'm just saying it's not as if the guy broke in and violently raped her against her will. She sneaked out more than once to participate in these acts with him. He had already served 9 months & is being required to register as a see offender. To my mind, this is within the realm of justice. Obviously JMO.

I think the reason for the suspended sentence is that the girl sneaked out of the house to meet the guy on two occasions and willingly engaged in the sex with him.

I understand the sentence. I'm not saying it is legal or okay/right/acceptable for a 21 to have sex with a 14 year old. I realize 14 is under the age of consent. I'm just saying it's not as if the guy broke in and violently raped her against her will. She sneaked out more than once to participate in these acts with him. He had already served 9 months & is being required to register as a see offender. To my mind, this is within the realm of justice. Obviously JMO.

right. It's statutory "rape" only AND there was no actual intercourse, if you read the article.

^ This all just makes me feel ill. Are you seriously saying that a grown man who grooms underage girls on the internet and convinces them it's okay to have sex with him and make lewd images, is just what? Nothing? Not guilty? Morally within his rights?

I am seeing red. This is just sick.

From the article:

According to an affidavit, Cleveland Police Chief Clint Stout interviewed the victim, who said she sneaked out of her house on April 20 and April 21 to meet Higgins in her yard for sexual activity.

In a follow-up forensics interview, the girl reportedly told an investigator from the Child Abuse Network that she and Higgins, who then lived in Sand Springs, began communicating through Facebook when she was 13.

.. if that was MY daughter? I'd want him in prison. This sentence would outrage me.

And ---nowhere-- does it say they didn't have sex. Not that it matters who put what where, if he groomed for sexual activity, it's still rape. And wth "rape" in quotation marks, like it's not rape - that's just wrongheaded. I am sorry, but the law says it's rape -- for a reason!

consent. Grooming equals eventual consent so its all good

:shutup:

:censored:

ETA FourF'ingTeen!

My daughter, a sweet, virginal, compassionate, loving CHILD, is 13.

Leaving now before I get myself in serious trouble.

^ This all just makes me feel ill. Are you seriously saying that a grown man who grooms underage girls on the internet and convinces them it's okay to have sex with him and make lewd images, is just what? Nothing? Not guilty? Morally within his rights?

I am seeing red. This is just sick.

From the article:

According to an affidavit, Cleveland Police Chief Clint Stout interviewed the victim, who said she sneaked out of her house on April 20 and April 21 to meet Higgins in her yard for sexual activity.

In a follow-up forensics interview, the girl reportedly told an investigator from the Child Abuse Network that she and Higgins, who then lived in Sand Springs, began communicating through Facebook when she was 13.

.. if that was MY daughter? I'd want him in prison. This sentence would outrage me.

And ---nowhere-- does it say they didn't have sex. Not that it matters who put what where, if he groomed for sexual activity, it's still rape. And wth "rape" in quotation marks, like it's not rape - that's just wrongheaded. I am sorry, but the law says it's rape -- for a reason!

From the article:

The affidavit says they didn't have intercourse...that's what I was referring to.

snipped from the link:

The affidavit says the meetings in Cleveland included many explicit acts, but stopped short of intercourse.

Different, imo, than a sexual penetration by forcible rape of a minor by an adult more than 5 years her senior. Maybe the guy is a predator, but maybe not. When I was 14 my boyfriend was over 18 and no one thought anything of it.

jmo

perhaps they should have though.

Logging off now.

I did not say it wasn't wrong and illegal. It was both. What I'm saying is that this kind of rape is different than a forced, violent rape where the victim is unwilling, whatever their age. I believe the two crimes should have different lengths of sentences.

Also, I was noting the fact that the the guy DID spend 9 months in jail. Maybe he should have gotten more, I don't know, but the title of the post made me think he had served no time at all, which was a bit misleading.

At 14 I had a boyfriend, who I later married, who was over 18, so perhaps that colors my view of things. As I said, there is a law against sex with a minor so it was obviously illegal. However, to me, the fact that the girl was 14 and willing, groomed or not, does mitigate this crime as

opposed to a violent forced rape. She sneaked out of her house to meet him. He didn't break in her window or snatch her off the street. If the 14 year old committed murder, many would be saying "they should try her as an adult." You can't have it both ways. Either 14 is old enough to bear some responsibility (not as much as an adult - but some) or it isn't. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back