Maine teenager dies after wisdom teeth are pulled.

Blood clot? Overdose of pain medication?

But a blood clot would have shown on the autopsy.

way way too many missing details. Poor kid no matter what though...

yeah i was surprised that it seems they have no idea what exactly killed him, i was expecting at least some report of symptoms leading up to his death.

lets not rule out sloppy reporting just yet tho :X

I read the medical article about the possible complications. In every one listed, even the really rare ones, it appears that each would have shown up on an autopsy.

If the toxicology test shows nothing, then they really do have a medical mystery. I hope for the poor parents that it was not a drug overdose.

Both of my children had this surgery at about that same age. One of them had significant post-operative swelling which worried me at the time. But he was fine after a few days spent with icepacks to his face.

This happened in my neck of the woods and I'm anxiously awaiting the answers to this poor young man's death. Here's a local article that provides a little more information, including information about who Benjamin was...

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Cheverus_senior__budding_musician__dies_after_routine_oral_surgery_.html

well this is quite an article - thank you for sharing. He sounds like an amazing young man! So sad for his parents...

The article does say something interesting... the parents will not say if he had an underlying medical condition.

I'm scared to read the articles as it is likely the same medical facility I'll be taking my last two to... Had a successful extraction for an older child in Nov. Ugh those poor parents :(. This young man seemed to have the world at his finger tips.

they will not disclose who or where the surgery was performed at - at this time. May be updated later, but as of now, they are not saying. Safe to read the article.

yeah i was surprised that it seems they have no idea what exactly killed him, i was expecting at least some report of symptoms leading up to his death.

lets not rule out sloppy reporting just yet tho :X

Could be sloppy reporting but .... more test results pending.
I am curious.

"The state Medical Examiner’s Office in Augusta examined the body of 18-year-old Benjamin LaMontagne on Monday. A spokesman for the Maine Attorney General’s Office, which oversees the medical examiner, said further tests are needed to determine why the teenager died. It could be weeks before the results come back."
"An autopsy on the Cheverus High School senior who died days after having routine oral surgery last week did not reveal the cause of his death, and additional tests will be done, officials said Wednesday."
http://www.pressherald.com/news/New_details_emerge_in_death_of_Cheverus_student_.html
BBM

Wow, had to open the door & see that my 19 year old is sleeping.

Forgive this rambling description: my BFF's son's hockey team lost their goalie after tonsilectomy, Mom put him to bed that night & checked 3 hours later & he was gone!

Yeah, I didn't sleep for a long time after said 19 year old's wisdom teeth were taken out.

(((hugs))) for the family,

Laughing

Wow, had to open the door & see that my 19 year old is sleeping.

Forgive this rambling description: my BFF's son's hockey team lost their goalie after tonsilectomy, Mom put him to bed that night & checked 3 hours later & he was gone!

Yeah, I didn't sleep for a long time after said 19 year old's wisdom teeth were taken out.

(((hugs))) for the family,

Laughing

Glad your son got through the surgery ok. Parents never stop worrying about their kids no matter how old they are. I'm nearly 30 and my negligent operations left me disabled 7 1/2 years ago and it has devastated my parents. I cannot imagine how much suffering it would cause parents to lose a child during routine surgery.

R.I.P

my 21 yr old just had 4 wisdom teeth removed, and one was impacted and caused some difficlulty. This is a very frightening thing to hear about. RIP young man.

Flesh-eating bacteria blamed for death of Maine teen after oral surgery

He started to experience symptoms of the infection after having four impacted wisdom teeth extracted on Feb. 19, 2014. The swelling on his left jaw got worse, spreading to his eyes and preventing him from eating and swallowing easily.

By Feb. 22, he was dizzy and too weak to get to the bathroom, according to the report in the Press Herald. At around 11:30pm, his mother helped him to crawl to the bathroom. She then left, and when she came back, she found him breathing but not able to respond verbally. She called 911, but emergency personnel were unable to revive him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/flesh-eating-bacteria-kills-maine-teen-after-oral-surgery/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back