The Scream

capps

Reaction score
I may need a little help on the scream.
All I've heard is that the Stanton neighbor heard a "scream" around midnight,and then scrapping of metal.

I've heard stories of ... it was a blood curdling scream to ... it was a scream from a small child.

I'm not sure what is fact or just media hoopla or second hand information.

Can some one give me "just the facts ma'am".

Thanks!

capps said:
I may need a little help on the scream.
All I've heard is that the Stanton neighbor heard a "scream" around midnight...
I heard about the scream, too. I think that I remember the neighbor saying that lights were also on and people moving about in the house.

If the scream was so loud that neighbors could hear it, surely it was also heard in the home.

nanandjim said:
I heard about the scream, too. I think that I remember the neighbor saying that lights were also on and people moving about in the house.

If the scream was so loud that neighbors could hear it, surely it was also heard in the home.
Scott Gibbons and Diane Brunfitt were the neighbors who talked about the lights. Melodie Stanton heard the scream through her open bedroom window and woke her husband.

The scream would have carried out of the basement more clearly than it would have carried up through 2 floors with carpet to the top of the house.

tipper said:
Scott Gibbons and Diane Brunfitt were the neighbors who talked about the lights. Melodie Stanton heard the scream through her open bedroom window and woke her husband.

The scream would have carried out of the basement more clearly than it would have carried up through 2 floors with carpet to the top of the house.

Hi Tipper. Didn't Thomas's book say Melodie Stanton stated that the scream could have been JonBenet's spirit? ::::::::: Tongue in cheek:::::::

So much for Thomas's Book!!!!!!!!!

Socks

Melody Stanton was a non-credible witness. Her statements were self-contradictory and unclear.

Last I heard, she said the scream happened two nights prior to the murder and that she'd been misquoted in police reports... or something like that.

Britt said:
Melody Stanton was a non-credible witness. Her statements were self-contradictory and unclear.

Last I heard, she said the scream happened two nights prior to the murder and that she'd been misquoted in police reports... or something like that.
PMPT p531
"Unaware of how important her memory of that night was to the police, she told Shapiro what she'd told the police on Dec 26. Also buried in his Globe story was the fact that Stanton's husband had heard a crashing sound - the sound of metal on concrete- sometime after the scream. This suggested someone-possibly an intruder- had left the house.
Stanton was innundated by the media, however. Like Fleet White, she abhored the intrusion and eventually moved. She would become a reluctant witness for the police."

I expect the police were only too happy to have her change her story and become "non-credible." Does seem odd though that BOTH she and her husband would have the same memory error.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_1914254,00.html

• On the fifth page, Carnes refers to a scream coming from the Ramsey home purportedly heard by a neighbor across the street, near the presumed time of the murder. But that neighbor, Melody Stanton, has long since recanted her story about the scream.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_912274,00.html

And he [former Ramsey investigator H. Ellis Armistead] learned that much of what the public considered "evidence" in the case, was something less. For example, Armistead is unsurprised that former Ramsey neighbor Melody Stanton, who reported hearing a scream the night JonBenet died, now believes she heard it two nights before the murder -- if she heard one at all.

"The 'scream in the night' thing, I put it in the classification of a lot of this quote, unquote, other evidence," Armistead said. "It became more and more unreliable, as the case progressed."

More importantly,IMO, who were the Richardson twins, why weren't they investigated and is it true that the Stantons moved away?

Thanks Britt and Tipper,

It seems to me from the information I'm getting from both your posts is the Stanton's told of what that heard to the police and again to Shapiro,but once they realized the magnitude of this murder and all the media frenzy ... they got cold feet and wanted to distance them selves.Or maybe some one else got to them ... I don't know.

But the reason I was questioning the scream,and if it was defined (ie: child's scream),because maybe it wasn't a child that screamed at all. Could it have been an adult (John,Patsy),or a young male (BR)? Who at around midnight discovered the body?

As far as hearing metal scraping on cement ... well, it was a cement basement... and metal things could have been hastily moved around in a frenzied panic.

IOW ... everyone immediately assumed the scream was JB ....maybe we shouldn't be so sure.

Even if JB did scream the night of the murder, it does nothing to help solve the case. In and of itself, a scream doesn't support either an intruder theory or a non-intruder theory. It's just as likely that a little girl would scream during a squabble with a family member - especially if she was being abused, obviously - as during an intruder encounter. And as you point out, Capps, what if it was someone other than JonBenet who allegedly screamed? What does that suggest about the case?

Britt said:
Even if JB did scream the night of the murder, it does nothing to help solve the case. In and of itself, a scream doesn't support either an intruder theory or a non-intruder theory. It's just as likely that a little girl would scream during a squabble with a family member - especially if she was being abused, obviously - as during an intruder encounter. And as you point out, Capps, what if it was someone other than JonBenet who allegedly screamed? What does that suggest about the case?

Britt,

I never insinuated that the scream would solve the case.

What I was questioning is if the scream was defined,and not to assume, as I believe many people were,that the scream was made by JB.

If there was a scream,and if it was coming from the Ramsey's house around midnight,and if the Stanton's could not for certain say it was a little girl's scream ... then it had to come from either JR,PR or BR ... which although would not solve the crime ... it would certainly punch another hole in the Ramsey's story of how they were all sleeping until PR found the ransom note.

That's all I'm saying.

I hear ya, capps :) I was just speaking generally about the case. The alleged scream, like the Smit-speculated stun gun, is claimed "evidence" cited by intruder theorists to support an intruder theory, when neither of these things is necessarily evidence of an intruder even if they were real.

To answer your questions, on pages 76-77 of PMPT (paperback), Stanton is quoted as being "certain she had heard a child's scream at about 2:00 a.m. on the night of the murder" and that "there had been only one scream but it was horrifying."

"Melody Stanton, up the street at 738, told the police on January 3 that she was certain she had heard a child's scream at about 2:00 A.M. on the night of the murder. Her bedroom window, which looks toward the Ramsey house from across the street, had been partly open. When questioned by the police, Stanton said that there had been only one scream but it was horrifying. If it came from the child, she assumed the scream had awakened her parents. "
PMPT pb, pg. 76-77

Rainsong

What would you do if you interviewed a woman who heard this scream? Would you not first suspect the scream happened outside and near her house? Would you interview the two adult twins that were living in that house, if for nothing else to learn if they had heard this scream ,as well? Two years after the crime, LE was asked if they had questioned these two, the answer, "at that time we weren't aware of them". Great!

Yet the Ramsey's heard nothing even though their window was also supposedly open that night....

Sound is funny. We've lived in houses where sound travelled very clearly from room A to room C but not at all well from room A to room B even though they were equally close. Our current house is about 2 miles from the interstate and a train-track. Some evenings when we sit out back it's like we are right next to them. Other evenings it's all but silent though if you listen carefully you can hear that the traffic is just as dense but very, very muted.

If Melody Stanton claimed that she heard a scream around 2am...which she said came from the Ramsey house, then that is very important to this case. I assume the police took a statement and that is an important piece to this puzzle. One might call her crazy but if her husband heard a crashing sound, then either they are both telling the truth or both are crazy.

The neighbor who saw a dim light in the kitchen area around 12:00am...he claims "as if someone were moving around"...then that means someone was up at midnight...perhaps Burke and JonBenet snacking.

Melody Stanton's statement about the scream happened two hours later...a two hour time frame between the "snacking" and the "scream".

sissi said:
More importantly,IMO, who were the Richardson twins, why weren't they investigated and is it true that the Stantons moved away?

Sissi, I knew you'd come in with the twins! If those twins are ever implicated, I'm going to personally award you with a medal. :)

Surely the R's own investigators interviewed them; or at the very least, Smit.

Toltec said:
If Melody Stanton claimed that she heard a scream around 2am...which she said came from the Ramsey house, then that is very important to this case. I assume the police took a statement and that is an important piece to this puzzle. One might call her crazy but if her husband heard a crashing sound, then either they are both telling the truth or both are crazy.

The neighbor who saw a dim light in the kitchen area around 12:00am...he claims "as if someone were moving around"...then that means someone was up at midnight...perhaps Burke and JonBenet snacking.

Melody Stanton's statement about the scream happened two hours later...a two hour time frame between the "snacking" and the "scream".
It would be interesting to know exactly how the two sets of people established the time. Clock? Estimation? Hindsight? Did BPD ask?

Toltec said:

Good thinking Toltec ... I also was thinking that. If nothing else,it may at least close up the time line a little.

Yep .. it certainly wasn't "business as usual" in that house that night.Obviously.

I feel for the Stanton's if what they are saying is true. I imagine after hearing the scream and a few hours later finding out that a six year old was killed ... her and her husband must be plagued with the "If only we did this,if only we did that ...maybe .. just maybe..."

Sad story it is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back