Thread: FL-Milagro Cunningham to be charged in Kidnapping

FL-Milagro Cunningham to be charged in Kidnapping

More details on 8 year old left to die . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/22/girl.found/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineQ
    More details on 8 year old left to die . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/22/girl.found/index.html
    I can't read any details on this child without crying. I cry because I'm so happy they found her alive and I cry because of the terrible way this deviant left her, thinking she would die.

This is a happy ending. My heart goes out to this child and her family for what is ahead of them. I don't know what this world is coming to with the rash of kidnappings, assaults, and even deaths of children lately. I can't remember when it has ever been like this........

I am posting what I just read on FoxNews:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157306,00.html

I wonder why he was staying with the godmother; maybe she was a foster parent? I guess we can never know what another person might do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom
    I wonder why he was staying with the godmother; maybe she was a foster parent? I guess we can never know what another person might do.
    I think I heard last night that he was staying with the godmother as he'd been kicked out of his own house (neighbor?).

JMHO
    fran

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    From the link above:

Holloman said Cunningham's mother lives in the Bahamas and he had been staying with an aunt until she accused him of stealing and kicked him out about four months ago. He then went to live at the home of Lisa Taylor, Holloman's mother and the girl's godmother.

"He was a good person. He would clean and do chores, laugh and play jokes and stuff. We never thought he would do something like that," Holloman said. "The only reason I can think he went crazy like this is his father died and his mother didn't want him. Nobody wanted him."

Holy Cow! Maybe they had a good reason for not wanting him.

more info:

The 8-year-old girl has since told a friend that she remembers her attacker towering over her before she passed out, then awoke seven hours later beneath a pile of rocks and concrete blocks when she heard the voices of rescuers.

``She said the last thing she remembers is that he looked over her with these big eyes and then she said she went to sleep. She said she was waiting for us to find her,'' said 18-year-old Danielle Holloman, a family friend who calls the girl her sister.

``She said she knew we would come get her. That's why as soon as the police came, she wiggled her fingers,'' Holloman said Monday.

The girl was found Sunday morning when police Sgt. Mike Hall climbed into a 25-foot long trash bin, opened the lid to a 30-gallon recycling container and saw part of the girl's hand and foot peeking out from under heavy concrete slabs, said police Sgt. Dan Boland.

He said rescuers feared the worst, but their mood turned jubilant when they realized she was alive.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines

The two officers stared down at the pile of stones, saw only a small hand and a foot sticking out and assumed the little girl they had frantically searched for was dead.

Finally, they had found her at a secluded landfill, her body stuffed inside a large bright yellow recycling bin, with rocks and crushed concrete covering her. The bin lay inside a trash container, a dismal last resting place.

The officers summoned a superior, Lake Worth Detective Lt. Dave Matthews, who, after seven tense hours of hunting, also thought the case had ended in the worst of tragedies.

And then something happened.

"Her hand just moved!" Matthews shouted.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...rape_0523.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Isn't that a miracle though. Why did they ever think to look where she was.
    I heard on the news that the first thing that she asked for was their minister because she wanted to thank God that she was alright. What a kid

I'll bet her rescuers were absolutely jubilant when they saw her hand move! My daughter's ex-husband is a firefighter. When he was just 17, he responded to a call where a little girl had fallen into a cistern and drowned. A few days later he had a call where a man had let his car roll into the ocean with two kids inside. One was dead and the other very brain damaged for life. I thought he would quit; he was so upset! Just a kid himself. But he told me what a wonderful thing it is when you can actually help; the reward for the hard work involved. I am so glad these rescuers had a reward that day.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Holy Cow! Maybe they had a good reason for not wanting him.
    I'll bet they did. Nancy Grace was wondering if he is actually only 17. IMO, he looks to be in his twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    I'll bet they did. Nancy Grace was wondering if he is actually only 17. IMO, he looks to be in his twenties.
    I agree but that may just be the result of leading a bad life.

Fla. Child-Rape Suspect in U.S. Illegally

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A teenager charged with raping an 8-year-old girl and leaving her for dead at an abandoned landfill is in the United States illegally - status that escaped notice despite three arrests, officials said.

Milagro Cunningham became illegal after arriving from the Bahamas on a visitor's visa in 2003 and overstaying the short-term limit, Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Manny Van Pelt said.

Cunningham, 17, had three burglary arrests last year but escaped the notice of immigration authorities because his cases were handled in the juvenile justice system, said Art Bullock, Border Patrol chief in West Palm Beach.

"If he had been booked into the main jail, he would have been checked," Bullock said.

http://start.earthlink.net/article/n...527-1725490208
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    I thought the same thing when I first saw his picture...now learning that he's not a US citizen and is here illegally I wonder if he really is 17
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins

Cunningham arrived in 2003 on a visitor's visa from the Bahamas and overstayed the short-term limit, said immigration spokesman Manny Van Pelt.

His juvenile court records are sealed, but acquaintances say he was on probation when he was arrested Sunday, the AP reported.

Prosecutors are charging Cunningham, 17, as an adult on six felony counts: attempted first-degree murder, attempted felony murder, sexual battery on a person under 12 years old, aggravated child abuse, kidnapping, and lewd and lascivious molestation. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.
    Cunningham lived a disjointed life after leaving the Bahamas to live with an aunt and uncle in Lake Worth, according to acquaintances. He slept in parks, an apartment complex laundry room and on neighbors' couches during multiple spats with his aunt and uncle.

One person who offered him shelter was the girl's godmother. She lives near Cunningham's aunt and uncle and was introduced to Cunningham by her teenage son.

"You don't put a 16 year-old-child out on the street," the godmother said. "To me, he was normal. He would play video games, hang out with kids up and down the streets, play football. He didn't do anything that was out of the normal."

He "was like two people," a friend said.

"He used to get in a lot of fights," said the friend, a teenage girl who is also connected to the victim. "If somebody else was in a fight, he'd tell them `Don't fight,' you know. `You shouldn't fight.' ... He was like two people. It was, like, weird."

Cunningham had lived with the woman for about three or four months, she said, including celebrating his 17th birthday there in March.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

It's a very sad story, isn't it?

It seems so far like the 8 year old victim is doing REMARKABLY well. I mean really, almost unscathed, bless her sweet heart. She seems mature beyond her years.

This boy Milagro seems to be a boat completely without a rudder, and when you read snippets of stories, it's kind of unbelievable the trust that was placed in him considering he really had a checkered past.

Apparently he shared a bedroom with a one year old baby boy that was the son of a teenage girl that lived in the home. Why wasn't the baby sleeping in the teenage mother's room, or the old woman's room? It seems almost unbelivable that the baby was in Milagro's room, and everyone went to sleep including the 8 year old god daughter while the teenage mother and a friend were out roller skating all night.

"He used to get in fights all the time". Don't put your baby in his room.

Police reports detail girl's attack before she was left in landfill

LAKE WORTH - An 8-year-old girl who was raped and tossed in a trash bin was near death as officers pulled her out from under chunks of concrete weighing 72 pounds, according to police reports released Thursday.

The documents detail the girl's abduction and sexual assault, allegedly by a teenager staying in the same house she was visiting.

Police discovered the Delray Beach girl in the trash bin at a Lake Worth landfill May 22 about seven hours after she was reported missing from her godmother's home. She was found partially clothed, with what appeared to be the impression of a footprint on her back, according to the reports.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11976711.htm

It really is a miracle that this little girl is alive. I hope she makes a wonderful recovery with little emotional pain due to what happened to her.