LA - Pastor and wife busted in child sex ring...

Just SICK. Those poor kids.

I would qualify that as SEEMINGLY "nice, intelligent church going people." There are many sickos who mask their perversions by playing the role of "good christians". I hope they get LIFE.

A Pastor & his wife... I am sooo surprised...... NOT :bang:

You can't trust your kids with anyone :sick:

Tristan said:
Believe me, child sex rings DO exist...and you'd be surprised to know who is behind them...often they are "nice, intelligent church going people."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/22/louisiana.church/index.html

More often, they are NOT.

If I said "I am a banana" and dressed in banana peels and hung from a tree, would that make me a real banana? No, I would be pretending to be a banana, for whatever nefarious purpose I might have, maybe to cover up the fact that I am, in actuality, an orange!

:D

"The church's former pastor told deputies Tuesday in nearby Livingston Parish -- where the pastor lives -- that adults were sexually abusing children, parish sheriff's Detective Stan Carpenter said.

The former pastor told deputies he had been having sex with children for many years and "also educated the children as to how to perform sexual acts with each other and with animals," Carpenter said.

Carpenter said the pastor unwittingly implicated himself while talking to investigators. He was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated rape of a child under age 13 and one count of crimes against humanity for alleged sexual acts involving animals, the detective said."

"Also in police custody -- in addition to the pastor and his wife -- are a sheriff's deputy and a woman who tipped off investigators by telephoning them from Ohio, authorities said.

About six weeks before the pastor spoke with Livingston Parish sheriff's deputies, a former church member phoned the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff and tipped off deputies, sheriff's spokesperson Covington said. The 36-year-old woman was taken into custody in Ohio on a Louisiana warrant charging her with aggravated rape of a child under age 13, Covington said."

This is horrible! They are all charged with rape of a child under the age of 13, but I wonder how many children really were involved?

mysteriew said:
"The church's former pastor told deputies Tuesday in nearby Livingston Parish -- where the pastor lives -- that adults were sexually abusing children, parish sheriff's Detective Stan Carpenter said.

The former pastor told deputies he had been having sex with children for many years and "also educated the children as to how to perform sexual acts with each other and with animals," Carpenter said.

Carpenter said the pastor unwittingly implicated himself while talking to investigators. He was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated rape of a child under age 13 and one count of crimes against humanity for alleged sexual acts involving animals, the detective said."

"Also in police custody -- in addition to the pastor and his wife -- are a sheriff's deputy and a woman who tipped off investigators by telephoning them from Ohio, authorities said.

About six weeks before the pastor spoke with Livingston Parish sheriff's deputies, a former church member phoned the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff and tipped off deputies, sheriff's spokesperson Covington said. The 36-year-old woman was taken into custody in Ohio on a Louisiana warrant charging her with aggravated rape of a child under age 13, Covington said."

This is horrible! They are all charged with rape of a child under the age of 13, but I wonder how many children really were involved?
I read earlier today it was around 24 kids.

Becba said:
I read earlier today it was around 24 kids.

Thanks, I had just found that. I also found this:

The alleged victims ranged in age from infants to teens, officials said. Animal abuse was also alleged.

The roundup came after a woman called sheriff's deputies five weeks ago from Columbus, Ohio, to say that she had fled Louisiana out of fear for her child, authorities said. She and her husband were among those arrested.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=776078

Ohio authorities who arrested a suspect in an alleged Louisiana cult that had sex with children and animals searched a storage unit on Friday, where they found mattresses, videos and nine garbage bags full of costumes.

Authorities said Nicole Bernard, wanted on a charge of aggravated rape, waived extradition Tuesday and likely will return to Louisiana late Wednesday.

The investigation began in March, when two children were interviewed by a child advocacy center in Ohio about possible molestation at Hosanna Church in Ponchatoula, La. Within the week, Bernard called authorities in Louisiana and said she had fled the state in fear for her child.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4530418/detail.html

I think something was going on *HOWEVER* we've just seen too many of these "sex rings" turn out to be a work of fiction created by overzealous LE.

I just cant help but be suspicious of any story involoving so many victims of varying ages and such elaborate,outrageous stories.

messiecake said:
I think something was going on *HOWEVER* we've just seen too many of these "sex rings" turn out to be a work of fiction created by overzealous LE.

I just cant help but be suspicious of any story involoving so many victims of varying ages and such elaborate,outrageous stories.

I am usually suspicious of these types of cases also, but in this case I am beginning to believe it.
First they only mention one family in Ohio. Remember the initial story where they said that the case was reported by a woman who had moved to Ohio out of fear for her family? And she and her husband were arrested?

Then this comes this info:
"The investigation began in March, when two children were interviewed by a child advocacy center in Ohio about possible molestation at Hosanna Church in Ponchatoula, La. Within the week, Bernard called authorities in Louisiana and said she had fled the state in fear for her child."

Now I am making a big jump here, but I am assuming that the kids who were talking in Ohio were her kids. Her kids told someone here in Ohio and an investigation was beginning. She realized that she was going to be in big trouble, so she calls La. to report the pastor and blame everything on him. However, when he gets pulled in for questioning he starts talking, admitting, and naming names. Mama and s-f get arrested also.
Two different LE's are involved, a children's advocacy group, and an admission of guilt. The chances of this being a case of LE being over-zealous are quickly being reduced.

Here's Newsweek's report: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8017175/site/newsweek/

I don't think this is a "ring" at all, nor do I think it's satan worship. I think it's an emotionally disturbed man with whacked views of his father's religious teachings who has abused his own children, and welcomed a very few "church" members who did the same. It's sick, but not satanic.

LovelyPigeon said:
Here's Newsweek's report: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8017175/site/newsweek/

I don't think this is a "ring" at all, nor do I think it's satan worship. I think it's an emotionally disturbed man with whacked views of his father's religious teachings who has abused his own children, and welcomed a very few "church" members who did the same. It's sick, but not satanic.

Isn't that how a "ring" develops? Some wacko works up some whacked out views, he develops a following, they all subscribe to these beliefs and then actively participate?
Sometimes they do it under the guise of worship, sometimes for pleasure or for profit. The only thing they have in common is that it is done without regard for the well being of the children.
When it is done under the guise of worship though, it is just another way of twisting the worship to fit the individual's desires. This isn't uncommon, as a matter of fact it is very much common to all beliefs- whether it is christianity, catholicism, muslim, buddism, wiccan, or satanism.

From his tire store next door, Donald Moore got an up-close look at the strange changes that went on at the once-bustling Hosanna Church.

For one thing, the congregation had dwindled to a handful of reclusive members who chased away visitors. For another, the windows were painted white so no one could see in. And just before it closed its doors for good a couple of years ago, eight dump trucks came in and spread dirt over the church's back lot.

Authorities said witnesses have described the use of robes, pentagrams on the church floor, sex with a dog and the sacrifice of cats. The alleged victims, suspected to number up to two dozen, include children ranging from infants to young teens -- some of them the offspring of those accused.

Investigators believe the abuse began in 1999 and continued until the church closed in 2003.

Edwards stopped short of saying the cult consisted of devil-worshippers but said some of the defendants told investigators that "devil worship was the reason for their participation." Edwards added that defendants and witnesses also gave statements saying a dog was sexually abused and at least two cats were sacrificed.

Authorities seized two dozen computers, which the FBI is checking. Sheets and carpeting were taken from the church for DNA tests. Officers spent several days digging in the back of the church, but haven't said if anything significant was found.

After Bernard was arrested, police in Ohio said they searched a storage unit and found mattresses, videos and nine garbage bags full of costumes.

Lamonica and his wife, Robbin, also face allegations of having sex with children in their home.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...tuns_louisiana_town/?rss_id=Boston.com+/+News

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/06/10/church_sex_case_stuns_louisiana_town/?page=2

2 pages

Jailed deputy faces 24 more counts in child sex abuse scandal

AMITE, La. (AP) -- Jailed former Tangipahoa Parish deputy Chris Labat has been booked on 24 additional counts related to the child and animal sex abuse scandal at the Hosanna Church in Ponchatoula, a sheriff's spokeswoman said Monday.

The new counts pertain to *advertiser censored* involving juveniles and were levied Friday night after agents with the FBI and Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's department searched computers seized at Labat's residence, spokeswoman Laura Covington said.

Labat, 24, of Hammond, was arrested May 17 on one count of aggravated rape. On June 2, he was charged with two additional counts of aggravated rape, one of failure to report child abuse and one of malfeasance in office.
--->>

http://www.slidellsentry.com/articles/2005/06/07/news/news07.txt

Defense Attorney: Sex Abuse Allegations Won't Hold Up In Court
AMITE, La. -- An attorney for a pastor accused of being a member of a child sex ring that operated out of a church says that information released about his client will not hold up in court.--->>

Defense attorney Michael Thiel said he not seen any statement of his client implicating himself, which authorities in Livingston Parish said were used to arrest him on May 16. He said he believes there's been a rush to judge based on conjecture, rumors and leaks to the media.

Lamonica faces two counts of aggravated rape and one count of crime against nature in Livingston Parish. His wife, Robbin Lamonica, was booked with one count of aggravated rape. Both are being held without bond
.--->>
http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/4559849/detail.html

Six plead not guilty to raping children
7/8/2005, 7:17 a.m. CT
The Associated Press

AMITE, La. (AP) — Six members of a Ponchatoula church have pleaded not guilty to child rape charges.

During Thursday's arraignment in state court, Assistant District Attorney Don Wall said the state would not seek the death penalty, even though the charges — involving rape of a child under the age of 12 — are capital offenses. --->>

State District Judge Beth Wolfe will decide Monday on whether to set bonds. In the meantime, all remain jailed. Although occult activities have been suggested as a motive, no evidence of that has been found, an investigator testified at an earlier hearing.--->>
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louis...s-17/1120821723220410.xml&storylist=louisiana

No evidence of occult activities.

Why are they not asking for the death penalty? These people participated in the rape and abuse of not only multiple children, but animals, and animals with children! Is it because they were doing in under the guise of religious activities? That is no excuse! :furious:
They participated in the torture and abuse of children. Just because they are trying to excuse it by claiming religion, doesn't make it any less wrong!:furious: Is it because they were being misguided by the preacher? They were adults and parents and community leaders. They were capable of making intelligent decisons about their own behavior!!!! :furious:
The death penalty should be explored for all six!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
:banghead::banghead:

Maybe because their evidence isn't strong enough to warrant the death penalty.

They are innocent in the eyes of the law until proven guilty. Could be that proving them guilty won't be easy.

I haven't been able to find info on Monday's bond hearing, but maybe it was continued and hasn't been held yet.

Occult references and bestiality accusations were dropped from this case, and the accused were to be tried seperately. This Aug 3 article is the latest I could find:

Claims of brainwashing, child abuse and a cult-like sex ring to be aired in court
By Emanuella Grinberg
Court TV

Authorities in the small, rural Louisiana town of Ponchatoula were shocked when a local pastor walked into their office in mid-May and allegedly confessed to having sex with children, cats and dogs at his Hosanna Church.

Louis Lamonica allegedly implicated eight other members of his flock, including a deputy sheriff, in "cult-like" rituals involving the rape of as many as 24 young victims, from infants to teens, between 1999 and 2003.

But lawyers for the nine codefendants, ages 24 to 55, say that not only are their clients innocent, but they are the victims of a brainwashing scheme.

"There is absolutely no evidence, medical or otherwise, to suggest that there is any truth to these allegations," said A. Wayne Stewart, lawyer for codefendant Allen Pierson, who pleaded not guilty in June to four counts of aggravated rape of a child under 13. --->>

"It appears that one of the leaders of the church exercised a tremendous influence over its congregants to the point of making them say they did things that they never did," Stewart said.

In a twist, he was not referring to Lamonica, who inherited the once large parish after his father's death, but to another parishioner, Lois Mowbray, who was charged with obstruction of justice and failing to report a crime after the fact.

In particular, Stewart cited Mowbray's 586-page journal in which she allegedly had other parishioners write out their confessions to the sex acts.--->>

As a result of the grand jury hearing in June, the time frame of the allegations was narrowed to about a year and the list of potential victims whittled down to two preteen boys and one infant girl.

The sole testifying witness, a detective on the case, said the alleged victims were repeatedly raped by, or forced to engage in various sex acts with, most of the defendants at least twice a week from 2000 to 2001 at Hosanna Church and in Bernard's home. --->>

The other seven defendants, including Lamonica, have court dates next month
--->

http://www.courttv.com/trials/news/0705/29_bernard_ctv.html

Anyone have updates on trial results?

I am wondering if trials were postponed and then really postponed after Katrina. Hammond would be the parish seat. This area is within 70 miles or closer of New Orleans. I just checked the Hammond Star and there was no news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back