1149 users online (206 members and 943 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

Teenager loses dad his 80 grand settlement by posting on Facebook

Oh dear me this kid did something really obnoxious and very costly to her father.

She posted about a settlement he received in a lawsuit and the settlement was revoked.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/daught...ement-payment/

What's sad is teenagers do stupid things all the time without thinking and this time it is really going to cost her family.

It will be interesting to see how this ends up. Dad still may receive his money.
    Help our Administrator Bessie
    Check out Websleuths Facebook page
    Follow Websleuths on Twitter
    Read Websleuths on
    Wikipedia

Tricia Griffith
    triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
    6300 N. Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H # 214
    Park City UT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03...parents_80000/

Here is her FB post

"Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver. Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT"

Betcha Dad went like this after his lawyer's call
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

Well, confidential settlement means confidential settlement - as in shut your trap and don't tell your daughter about it.

I wonder how many other people he told.

She doesn't deserve that kind of money.

Forgive me, but, aren't settlements supposed to pay for things like medical bills or lost wages? I wasn't aware that settlements were meant to pay for things like European vacations. Those poor saps, paying off their medical bills or just trying to survive! They should know that that money is for vacation time for their children to brag about on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
    Forgive me, but, aren't settlements supposed to pay for things like medical bills or lost wages? I wasn't aware that settlements were meant to pay for things like European vacations. Those poor saps, paying off their medical bills or just trying to survive! They should know that that money is for vacation time for their children to brag about on Facebook!
    I don't believe settlments usually have conditions on how one can spend the money. The father claimed he was fired from his job because of his age. He asked for money for lost wages and for agiesm, not for medical bills.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
    The settlement was from an age discrimination lawsuit, which wouldn't involve any medical bills. To my non-lawyer mind $10,000 in lost wages could have been used to spend on a vacation for his daughter, and the $80,000 reimbursement could be for future wages lost. But in any case, you can't mandate how someone spends their settlement. I received a small settlement once (ha really tiny) and there were no restrictions involved with it.

The following is a breakdown of the agreement taken from the article linked above:

The settlement was initially agreed upon in 2011, after Gulliver decided to pay Snay $10,000 for back salaries, $60,000 to his attorneys and also an $80,000 reimbursement with the condition that he had to keep the terms and existence of the contract private.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/daught...ement-payment/

Interesting case!
    Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that one animal their world is changed forever! -Unknown

I don't see how they can impose a privacy condition on the daughter, and as part of his household she would have been privy to the state of the lawsuit.

If the settlement is revoked, then surely it would go back to trial?

If the daughter didn't sign the agreement she isn't party to it.
    Unless they are suggesting a father can't legally share the settlement info with family ( seems unlikely and ridiculous)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    If the daughter didn't sign the agreement she isn't party to it.
    Unless they are suggesting a father can't legally share the settlement info with family ( seems unlikely and ridiculous)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Per the article, he wasn't supposed to share with his daughter (it was a part of the agreement).
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Per the article, he wasn't supposed to share with his daughter (it was a part of the agreement).
    The daughter's post was stupid but I hope a court agrees the dad should still get his money in the end. It is ridiculous that a family member gets a settlement but cannot mention it other family members. Can you imagine living in a house and a parent gets a settlement but cannot explain that the case is over and where the money they have now came from.

It is not the father's fault his daughter did this.

I think its good business sense to put confidentiality agreements in place.

Dad made a mistake of trusting his daughter (IMO - with information she did not need or have a right to know) - and the daughter appears to be a typical teenager who was told juicy information and had a Facebook account. Teenager + Secret + Facebook = no longer a secret.
    Last edited by zippitydoda; 03-03-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoda View Post
    I think its good business sense to put confidentiality agreements in place.

Dad made a mistake trusting his daughter - and the daughter appears to be a typical teenager who was told juicy information and had a Facebook account. Teenager + Secret + Facebook = no longer a secret.
    I personally don't like confidentiality agreements if you get damages you should keep them no matter what. They are almost never a good thing for the person who is receiving the damages. If I am offered a confidentiality agreement for what happened to me I will refuse it and keep fighting till the end. I don't want a sole to know anything about my claim but I don't like being told I what I can and cannot do like a child.

Well, any settlement agreement that involves a father not being able to confide in his family looks suspect to me. It's damaging to family.

And any settlement agreement revoked because a teenage girl made a throwaway (but pretty harmless) post on a FB page, makes those who revoked it look bad. I think.

I'd like to know why they were settling an age case in secret anyway. It's a mistake to make presumptions based on age but anyone can make them. Saying sorry publically is more important than money, in my opinion.

Presumptions about age lead to things like perfectly sharp, healthy seniors like Bob Harrod just disappearing and nobody thinking twice. That's a very bad thing.

So is being rude, so I think teen should say sorry for the 'sucks' comment too, but then they could all work things out together. Maybe set up some kind of project for kids in need of help between them? With input from the old, the young and officials, it could be unbeatable!
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

If I’m interpreting correctly, it seems some folks here think -
    after voluntarily signing to withdraw lawsuit in exchange for payment to compensate him
    (for alleged monetary injuries resulting from school’s alleged age-discrimination against him)
    and agreeing that neither he nor his wife would communicate re agreement and terms,
    then approx. a few days later, violating that agreement,
    he should not be subject to consequences of his violation of agreement?

IOW, use the courts to sue a person, with attorneys representing your interests,
    prior to trial, reach a settlement w other party(ies), sign an agreement w other party(ies),
    promise non-disclosure,
    violate agreement by disclosing to someone,
    then insist on getting the money anyway?

What if instead of a confidentiality clause violation, it had been a payment violation.
    What if the same agreement had been reached and all parties signed the document,
    then the school paid only one quarter of agreed on $$$ to employee, per written document?
    Should the employee just say, oh well, I'm okay w less than promised.
    Should a court not be able to force the school to comply w terms agreed to, and to pay the other three quarters, the balance?

Can you imagine living in a judicial system that allows a person to do this?

Disclosure or non-disclosure clauses in legal settlement agreements are negotiated, in virtually every case (AFAIK).

So if school thought it was just fine for Mr. & Mrs. Snay to disclose agreement and terms,
    that confidentiality clause would not have been in the document
    they all signed to confirm agreement.
    Or if Mr Snay had insisted on non-confidentiality, a non-confidentiality clause would have been in that document,
    w all parties signing.

JM2cts and I may be wrong.
    Last edited by al66pine; 03-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast