1068 users online (226 members and 842 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Delray beach, Florida
    Posts
    368

    Unbelieveable.. Medicaid providing sexual predators with free Viagra.

    "Medicaid is providing Viagra to nearly 200 of the state's worst sexual predators, under a federal program that has outraged local lawmakers, according to a new government report.
    Among those receiving Medicaid-reimbursed Viagra after being convicted of a sexual crime was a fiend who preyed on a 2-year-old, and a criminal who attacked a 90-year-old woman, the report says."




    http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/44529.htm

    Just when you think you heard it all..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,188

    Angry Level 3 only

    I was so angry at the title of this thread that I almost didn't read the article. Imagine it only gets worse . . .

    During a review of Medicaid pharmacy spending, Hevesi's auditors matched Viagra recipients with the names of Level 3 offenders on the Internet and discovered that some were receiving the prescription drug and were being reimbursed by Medicaid for the expense.

    The review did not include the names of Level 1 and Level 2 offenders, whose names are not required to be listed on the Internet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    477
    How screwed-up is our government? Un-freakin'-believable!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    477

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986
    How screwed-up is our government? Un-freakin'-believable!
    My thoughts exactly.. well said 1986!
    I jump through hoops every month coming up with the extra $$ to pay for my perscriptions...I don't really have a choice.
    Then when I read something like this I go nuts!!!!!!!!!
    My tax dollars, paying for some perverts Viagra wile I am returning bottles so I can get my own perscriptions filled.
    ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!


    Sudzi

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    New York is the state breaking the story, but is more than likely not the only state where this is occuring. More than likely it happens in every state.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudzi
    My thoughts exactly.. well said 1986!
    I jump through hoops every month coming up with the extra $$ to pay for my perscriptions...I don't really have a choice.
    Then when I read something like this I go nuts!!!!!!!!!
    My tax dollars, paying for some perverts Viagra wile I am returning bottles so I can get my own perscriptions filled.
    ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    Boy do I know what you mean. I've got 3 kids who all get sick at the same type. Buy the time we pay co-pays for office visits and then the drugs (middle child is allergic to EVERYTHING) I'm thinking, what can float til next pay period. It's really frustrating to have someone taking advantage of this situation when I struggle some months. Now I'm wondering what other drugs are being pd for by our tax dollars so that predators can enjoy life.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,037
    I don't understand why Medicaid is paying for Viagra (Or Cialis or any of the ED drugs) for ANYONE. Is this a serious illness? Is it life-threatening? Is it curable? Sorry, but with so many serious illnesses that are potentially life threatening and the reduction in benefits for so many WHY are we paying for a very expensive drug for ED? Some people are denied life saving treatments while convicted sexual offenders get Viagra??? There is something really wrong here....
    I find it interesting that Medicaid won't pay for reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy (considered cosmetic and unecessary) but will pay for men (including convicted rapists) to have Viagra...say it is related to "quality of life" and that men on Medicaid have a "right" to have said "quality" just like everyone else. Well I know a lot of men who cannot afford Viagra who aren't on Medicaid and they seem to be doing OK without it. When did it become medically necessary to have an erection?
    I guess when the MEN in charge of such decisions decided it was.

    It's my opinion only - and I like it. Yours may be different
    and I may not like it, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.
    Stop Habitat Destruction - Do We Really Need To Pave Paradise?
    ~Peace~

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    477
    Cynder, ever thought about running for public office? I've vote for you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,750
    I saw this on my news page this morning...in fact I just posted it on a thread about sex offenders in the missing/located forum....I find this so appalling I can't even comment. And cynder is correct...why should medicaid even pay for this for ANYONE??!!!

    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Delray beach, Florida
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by lady-eowyn
    I saw this on my news page this morning...in fact I just posted it on a thread about sex offenders in the missing/located forum....I find this so appalling I can't even comment. And cynder is correct...why should medicaid even pay for this for ANYONE??!!!


    Paying for sex offenders'Viagra......no freaken way..but I am certainly glad my Viagra is covered by my insurance company. An argument can be made that this benefits women as well as men..Due to pressure, my insurance company now covers birth control pills. I was shocked that they didn't..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    New York is the state breaking the story, but is more than likely not the only state where this is occuring. More than likely it happens in every state.
    You're correct. It's since been reported that Florida is also guilty of this.

    Here's a new link as well:

    NBC10.com - HealthWatch - Agency: States Don't Have To Pay For Sex Offenders' Viagra

    A federal agency has started notifying states that they do not have to pay for Viagra for convicted rapists and other high-risk sex offenders...

    They don't HAVE to??? How about making it so they aren't ALLOWED to!!!

    The Bush administration was sent scrambling. It blames confusion over a federal directive...

    "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanktothebank
    Due to pressure, my insurance company now covers birth control pills. I was shocked that they didn't..
    I don't want to go too far off-topic but our local news just had an investigative segment about pharmacists that are now refusing to fill birth control prescriptions based on their religious beliefs. So now the insurance companies are starting to pay for them but you might not be able to find anyone to fill them!!!

    "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl
    You're correct. It's since been reported that Florida is also guilty of this.

    Here's a new link as well:

    NBC10.com - HealthWatch - Agency: States Don't Have To Pay For Sex Offenders' Viagra

    A federal agency has started notifying states that they do not have to pay for Viagra for convicted rapists and other high-risk sex offenders...

    They don't HAVE to??? How about making it so they aren't ALLOWED to!!!

    The Bush administration was sent scrambling. It blames confusion over a federal directive...
    Well its good they Don't Have too but I wonder what happens when one of their victims get pregnant?
    Because although the State of Florida's medicaid will pay for sex offenders to keep it up they won't pay for an abortion.

    Also I have to ask why the state (any state) is paying for viagra for anyone??

    Is viagra a medically needed drug? Is it fixing a legit medical issue or is it more like consmetic surgery?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKate
    Also I have to ask why the state (any state) is paying for viagra for anyone??

    Is viagra a medically needed drug? Is it fixing a legit medical issue or is it more like consmetic surgery?
    Honestly, I can see why it is an approved medication. Sex is a basic drive, and I think that fixing it is probably a quality of life issue. That's how I see it anyway.

    "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
  2. Free Viagra spices up small town life
    By Gozgals in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 03:52 AM
  3. GPS for sexual predators in California!
    By bakerprune64 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 11:50 AM