Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

Blondie in Spokane

Reaction score
http://nypost.com/2014/03/03/teen-sues-parents-after-being-kicked-out-wants-money/

"A New Jersey teenager is suing her parents, claiming she was kicked out of her home and thus entitled to money for private-school tuition, transportation, room and board."

"In a potential precedent-sitting lawsuit, Morris Catholic HS senior Rachel Canning said mom and dad are still financially responsible for her — even after she flew their Lincoln Park coop, two days before her 18th birthday in late October."

"The eldest daughter of Sean and Elizabeth Canning said she was forced out, while her parents insist she moved voluntarily."

"Both sides are scheduled to appear before a Morristown judge on Tuesday.
Rachel is asking that mom and dad be ordered to immediately pay up for tuition at the 12th-grader’s Morris Catholic HS."

This would set a horrible precedent if spoiled kids could move out and demand living expenses from their parents.

Really hoping the judge gives her a much needed welcome to the real world.
ETA: I think her parents should pay up the rest of her high school tuition. They were the ones that enrolled her there but all the other stuff no.

Watching this case closely!

I also hope the judge welcomes her into the adult world and laughs at her!

Geeesh... Zero appreciation!

I also knew everything and thought I was an adult at 18. I moved out. I came crawling back with my humbled tail between my legs and a huge appreciation for my parents!!!! I managed to survive for 3 months.
It was awful.
Back then parents stuck together. No way were my friends parents going to take me in.

ETA the parents of her friend that thwarted her parents efforts to PARENT should pay. They IMO accepted that burden when they allowed the brat to move in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She really did not get kicked out, She would not follow the house rules and was asked to leave.

What a spoiled brat.
No one is owed a private education or college. Get a job girlie.. Work for it.

Really hoping the judge gives her a much needed welcome to the real world.
ETA: I think her parents should pay up the rest of her high school tuition. They were the ones that enrolled her there but all the other stuff no.

As a resident of New Jersey, I can attest to the enormously high property taxes, that her parents already pay toward a public education.

My own child went to private school for years and years and it's like paying twice!

She should appreciate the education they were WILLING to give her for the small price of common courtesy and respect.

She really did not get kicked out, She would not follow the house rules and was asked to leave.

What a spoiled brat.
No one is owed a private education or college. Get a job girlie.. Work for it.

Scarlett.. If we keep agreeing like this, people are gonna start talking;)

I think she is 18 and should have to deal with what being an adult really means..

HOWEVER, I can see the Judge saying to her parents you need to finish paying for her senior year of school. I cannot see him demanding they pay for college though..

My personal feelings aside, I feel this is what will happen.

Linda, You wait.. WE are going to be buds.. I can feel it.. :)

Frankly I'm shocked the catholic school isn't helping this brat to "honor her parents"
That's is one of the top ten ...right???

This one has my blood boiling!

I think she is 18 and should have to deal with what being an adult really means..

HOWEVER, I can see the Judge saying to her parents you need to finish paying for her senior year of school. I cannot see him demanding they pay for college though..

My personal feelings aside, I feel this is what will happen.

Linda, You wait.. WE are going to be buds.. I can feel it.. :)

:) we already are ... We just stand on opposite sides of the fence from time to time!

Could happen, but the child could certainly attend her local public school for free, which is funded by the community. I don't know a thing about her school specifically, but I believe NJ is known for its fantastic public schools, isn't it?

Could happen, but the child could certainly attend her local public school for free, which is funded by the community. I don't know a thing about her school specifically, but I believe NJ is known for its fantastic public schools, isn't it?

Fantastic is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's better that some other states... But it stinks IMO when compared to a good private school. IMO

:) we already are ... We just stand on opposite sides of the fence from time to time!

:) I really like a lot of people here that don't agree with me.. :) I love that people stand on what they believe rather than just go along with everyone else.
I like free thinkers!

I think that while she should have to deal with the consequences of her actions, I think the Judge could split it.. I hope not..

Unbelievable!!! Where is the brat getting the money to pay for a lawyer (if she has one).
18 is an adult - you can join the military.

Unbelievable!!! Where is the brat getting the money to pay for a lawyer (if she has one).
18 is an adult - you can join the military.

The Lawyer she lives with is paying the bill but I bet the amount of legal fees is figured into the suit also.

I happen to have attended that very school, and also the public HS that this girl would attend. I would say the public school is good to average. Certainly more than adequate and not a school district where you would "need" to attend private school if you wanted a decent education. It's in a small very historic town. Very low crime, not a high drop-out rate, etc.

This part ticked me off as much as her actions....

"The teen has been living with a family friend ever since leaving home. The friend’s dad is former Morris County Freeholder John Inglesino, who is reportedly footing Rachel’s legal bill."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nj-teen-sues-parents-claims-they-kicked-her-out/

Inglesino said he has spent more than $12,000 on the lawsuit because he wants Rachel to have a great future.

IMO - I don't know how it came to be that she ended up suing her parents - but I kinda doubt that this teenager thought to sue on her own. And lookie here- Mr. Inglesino is also an attorney. I hope Mr. Inglesino gets stuck with this "teenager" for a very long time, along with her bills and drama. Have fun getting her outta your house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back